Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

This tennis game ‘graduates’ from AppLab to Quest store.

This has strangely high production values from what it seems a simple arcade game.

[url]OK | Oculus
This is a MR demo? I think it’s what Zuck was showing on a video the other day.

Upload VR has another showcase event
[url]https://uploadvr.com/upload-vr-showcase-summe-2022-june-9/[/url]

World of Mechs comes out Thursday. I tried the test weekend for a few hours and it was a lot of fun. Felt like MechAssault in VR.

Well, I didn’t paly MechAssault. I have the feeling it looks pretty arcade? Nothing about looking at heat indicators?

It’s definitely more arcade than sim. Heat is a factor but I was mostly playing the Medic mech so less impactful for me. It was the closest comparable to the light class Owens I loved in MA.

New course out for mini golf, which was a surprise to me. El Dorado is a jungle theme, with a neat Indiana Jones feel to it. Definitely a must buy if you love the game

Well, I thought it isn’t a bad showcase. Maybe I don’t remember well, but I think it was better than the previous one? Good variety, that VR needs : there are single player adventure games, multiplayer fighting games, coop games, a few strategy games, a weird action/puzzle game with time loop mechanics, rhythm games, horror games, shooters, etc.

Some highlights:

What the Bat?, from the devs of What the golf.
Gambit, a coop shooter in the vein of Payday.
Hellsweeper, from the creator of Sairento, which is looking very nice, a big jump over the previous game (I’m going to suppose that was the pc version?)
Rganarock DLC with big names, as said before.
On the same vein, Pantera DLC for Unplugged rocks hard.
Moss Book 2 coming to Quest 2 next month.
PathCraft and Tin Soliders, both are lemmings-like, a subgenre which I have a soft spot for.
The Twilight Zone VR trailer was the ambiguous type, it could be good, it could be mediocre.
HeliSquad wasn’t really shown, but I’m interested in a milisim copter VR game from the Warplanes creator. Seems more interesting to me than the WW1 game.
Dyshcronia trailer was funny, because it actually seemed interesting to me, until the end when I saw it was another anime game in the Tokyo Chronos series.
Synth Riders’ devs new game is a 1vs1 fighting vr game? I’m not interested in the game per se, but game design wise, I wan to see what they are doing here.
Speaking of game design in VR 1vs1 game, Broken Edge looks interesting. It seems the backdrop of the game explain they are fighting with old, forgotten rusted weapons, so they only can sustain a few hits. In other words, players actively want to avoid clashing sword against sword, which smart in a vr game.
More Demeo content is of course good. This time new hero + new dungeon!
Espire 2 looks promising, in that I suspect it should show this is the second attempt of the same team on doing an action/stealth VR game. The knowledge they gained in doing the first game should improve this.
Stride doing the competition to Lemming’s gorilla, heh.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/latest-quest-software-update-makes-your-home-space-more-social-and-adds-important-parental-supervision-tools/

Thanks for summarizing!

So… World of Mechs.

The plus: big stompy robots on VR. Piloting a mech in VR just feels natural.

The cons: needs a little more meat on the bones. An actual campaign, not just a series of botmatches. A little more mech complexity to differentiate mechs from just a bog standard FPS (weapon switching, etc.).

Speaking of mechs, I just finished the campaign of Vox Machinae last night. I was quite surprised how much of an effort they went through to make every mission unique in gameplay, and push the story forward in a scripted but emerging way. Not to mention very dialogue heavy between-mission crew interaction, which I thought was pretty decent overall, very Wing Commandery, but funnier. I mean… it was obviously filler, but I appreciated the effort and it did add more context than simply jumping into the next mission. If I had a complaint, it was that I could have used just a few more bog standard destroy-the-grinders missions, because the mech combat is just so satisfying … but to be fair, you can play offline skirmish for hours on end, and I have. Wish there was more people playing online, though.

But the feeling of massive machinery and wrangling weapons to hit when firing from different limbs, balancing jump jets and heat and range… all really well done, and better than I remember the last few Mechwarriors being, where everything was overly fast and accurate, and not nearly enough strategic consideration.

Cool stuff! The guy sounds less like the devil when he’s geeking out on hardware. He needs to stop saying ‘stack’, though. Technology stack, hardware stack, stack stack stack.

smock

I played the Applab demo of We Are One yesterday, what a fantastic shooter/puzzler! Can’t wait for the full release.

Incredibly, there is a second game with the same idea, this is, creating clones of yourself in time loops. It actually released the past week I believe, but it’s more puzzle oriented.

Alas, I read it’s the typical VR game in that is too short. There is a full playthrough in yt with 2.5h of video.

There are quite a few games like this, albeit not in VR until now. I’ve been trying for ages to remember the name of one I really enjoyed that was an isometric black and white web thing, a little like Echochrome visually, without the rotation, where you were progressing up a series of levels through using clones of your past lives.

Yes, I remember one that was a 2d platform/puzzle game. Still, those two are the only ones in VR and it was curious to me that both were announced more or less at the same time.

These were awesome, thank you for posting!

Watching that review, I think I’m confident to say We Are One is probably more fun. It has the puzzle elements, but combined with a shooter where you actively not only need to do the actions in the right puzzle sequence, but you’re also aiming, shooting, managing ammo, ducking from projectiles, where your clones are taking casualties… There was a really neat moment where two of your clones toss down from a height a magazine and a weapon from different places… you rewind and assume the placement below, raise your hands, catch both at once, and nail the bad guy taking aim at you and shoot him… it has that SuperHot feeling of elements coming together for satisfying action and strategy. I just hope the full game will have enough content, as you say, budget feels like it weighs heavily on these little teams.

These are very cool. I tried his Cyberpunk one. Not sure I’d play through that much time with it, but certainly worth a look.

The talk of the week is Meta, which announced next month they will start enabling their new login system, where you can a Meta account instead of a Facebook account with the Quest headsets.

Yes, Meta is the same company as FB, but this means not having to use your real life name on the account, unlike now, and not having to be worried to be banned on Quest because some comment on a Facebook group.

Also
Table of Tales coming to Quest soon
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4714471148644140

And Red Matter 2 on August
https://twitter.com/Vertical_Robot/status/1545457774728978432