Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Well, any Oculus thing is a Facebook thing!

So I finally got to spend some time with In Death: Unchained and OMG IT’S AMAZING OMG.

Hell yeah!

Air Link is starting to being distributed. Check on your Quest if you have some pending new version, or check in the Experimental tab if you have it.

BTW, if anyone is thinking on buying a Quest, he should PM me, there is a friend invitation system where both people get 30€ if it’s used.

I also like In Death: Unchained quite a bit. I need to play more, especially now that I realized if I pull the cars out of the garage I have a nice big area to move around. I really wish these headsets would work outdoors. I’d love to play out in my yard. I have a wide open section of my yard that is probably 100ft by 30 ft, at least. That would be awesome.

I get too frazzled in combat to remember how to use the teleport shard so I rely more on moving my body. I wish I could make better use of it.

I’ve hon estly no idea how to properly use the teleport shard. Any experts wanna chime in and give us some tips please?

? I usually have our girls play Vacation Simulator in the backyard.

I use it as a quick escape mechanism or for minor movements. Especially when one of those horrifying floating ghosts shows up right in my face unexpectedly.

I love this. It’s finally the future we were promised.

This is from the support website…

To keep your Oculus Quest 2 or Quest safe from sun exposure, follow these tips :

• Don’t store or leave your headset anywhere where it can be exposed to sunlight. The lenses inside your headset can be permanently damaged from less than a minute of exposure to direct sunlight even if it’s indoors.
  • Do not use your headset outdoors.
  • If you need to transport your headset, do so in a bag or case that keeps it safe and protected from direct sunlight.

I guess I twisted that to mean it won’t work outdoors and that it was bad for the exterior cameras. It’s the lenses that are at risk I guess.

Ahh, yeah we avoid direct sunlight! Usually late afternoon when the sun starts going down is the best time.

I’ve been playing a bit of Floor Plan 2 but I can’t recommend it, it’s a typical adventure/puzzle game, however the solution to some puzzles are of very poor logic, the connections between puzzle and puzzle are obtuse, and it isn’t clear what parts of the environments are to be interacted with (and for a VR game, the interaction level is pretty low).

The lenses can do a ‘magnifying glass on ant’ effect on the lcd screen, that’s the issue. Well, that and the IR of the sun on bright days can be stoo strong for the 4 ir cameras that do tracking.

Found on another forum, a Beat Saber player’s thoughts on Air Link.

Expert here! ;)

Well not really… but the shard is just a ‘quick dodge’ you can do in any direction.

It moves you a fixed amount, good for emergencies to gain a little distance, for me it’s usually a couple frantic shard throws then a teleport arrow to gain more distance in a panic. I don’t know if there’s any tactical use for it.

In the PC game it actually teleported you to where it landed, so you could get more distance rather than do a small dodge but it would take longer to kick in. They changed it for Unchained.

Here’s another tip, don’t forget you can use the shield as a bashing weapon. :)

I had no idea! Thank you!

I tried Air Link, it seems really good!

Against the software’s advice, I set it to 90Hz, max resolution (1.5x), left bandwidth at dynamic, but bumped the bandwidth max up to 150Mbps (it goes up to 200Mbps on Nvidia).

Really easy to use, though it’s weird how the settings aren’t all in the one place - bandwidth is set in the Oculus Home app in VR, but you have to use the desktop app to set the resolution. Not a huge deal since you just click the virtual desktop button, but still confusing.

Personally I got a superior experience with Air Link than I do with Virtual Desktop. I think the quality is on par, but the hand movement feels better and I like that it’s just built in now. Having fewer settings (bandwidth and resolution only) makes it all a bit simpler too.

This worked splendidly, thank you!

IT so is, I’m too using smooth movement and love it. I did successfully use the teleport shard to quickly back away from a pack of zombies, swordsmen and archers like coming at me at once, what a thrill.

I updated both the Oculus software, which did mention air link, and the Quest 2, but I couldn’t find anywhere to enable it on the Quest 2. I guess they’re rolling it out?

Mine didn’t show up on Quest at first either. Check the Quest software version, ensure it’s 28.

I reset the Experimental features, rebooted, then connected via cable. Then rebooted again and the option was there in experimental features… unsure the exact steps needed but it does show up eventually.

Btw I’ve set a little In Death score for you guys to chase. Wasn’t a great run, I got the boss most of the way down but got peppered with arrows from all sides.

Cool thank you!