Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I finished Moss II, and I can recommend it, although not without reserves. It’s better than the first game, but it isn’t notably better.
It’s a pair of hours longer than the first game, there are more environment types, the puzzles are slightly more involved, you have a pair of new weapons and a pair of a new enemies, there are three boss fights and they are well done. Still, the combat is very simplistic and the platform sometimes can feel a bit imprecise, apart of being in general an easy game, not having difficulty settings, not rewarding exploration beyond some collectibles I don’t care, and not being a replayable game at all. So maybe wait until the next oculus30 code you get or next sale.

Now that I have a rtx 3070, I wanted to try some VR games I had pending since time ago. Like Star Wars Squadrons, which I abandoned on the third mission waiting to have a new computer, and it was retro-projecting too much. Ironically, since then, the game has been given for free, added to Gamepass, and again given for free next week (on EGS) so I wasted my money.
What I have learned is that it is a piece of shit of a game to move. On normal 2d mode, I cash push 200-250 fps on ultra, but on VR to get 90 fps I have to lower it to low-medium details. I guess the engine is just not appropriate for VR and that’s it.

But still, one more thing. There is something happening with the gamma, look at the main menu. What the hell. Does anyone knows how to fix it? I’m playing it without SteamVR.

Eleven Table Tennis recreates the feeling of playing ping ping very accurately. Expect to try to lean on a virtual table to return a close-to-the-net shot.

Quest 2 in hand, I want to get a few things and I’m a bit confused about the unit (which is still in the box). My kids are home all week so I can’t bust it out to set it up since it’s an xmas present…

I was thinking of getting this headstrap with battery:

How does sound work on the Quest 2? Do I need headphones or should I look instead at a headset that has them built in?

This looks like it would be compatible with that head strap, but it says that it doesn’t support the 3rd generation controller grips. Are those a Quest thing or aftermarket? I just want to make sure the regular Quest stuff fits.

Beyond that, the only other thing I’ve seen recommended is the Kiwi facial interface b/c it’s more comfortable. Is that worth the additional cost and/or will it help the device fit better onto the kids’ faces? None of us wear glasses, if that matters.

I use this by Kiwi (though it doesn’t have a battery):

I think the design works well and as long the battery version isn’t very heavy probably a better choice especially if three people are going to share it.

I think the issue will be will the VR Set become a daily thing or will it be fun for awhile and than back to nonVR games on PC or Console. For me I have to use it in the living room so harder to play with others at home. If I had a dedicated room/space to use I would play on it more.

Sound comes out of the arms that the straps attach to, or there’s a 3.5mm jack. The standard audio is fine for me, but it’s definitely not as good as separate headphones, or headsets with built in earpieces.

The built in speakers are basically headphones since they’re so close to your ear… that said, I mostly wear a separate pair for privacy as the default ones are just audible enough to people on the couch watching tv, and might not want to hear the insanely annoying children shit-talking as they kill you in Contractors.

Medal of Honor and Resident Evil 4 are both 40% off on Quest today! …I’d have to delete half my installed games to play MoH… yeesh. Wish I had gone with the 256gig model, or that you could slap some more storage on the unit.

Among many, many others. Really good sale at Oculus right now, most of the top titles in VR available:

This is a bit of a tangent, but can anyone explain what the situation is with Oculus vs. Meta vs. Facebook accounts?

I’ve got a Quest 2, and every time I log in to the Oculus site, it urges me to convert my existing Oculus account to a Meta account (with dire warnings if I don’t switch to a Meta account). It’s unclear to me if this is the same as linking it to my Facebook account, or whether the Meta account is really just a new (non-FB linked) account.

Here’s the warning:

Note the first paragraph says I can’t use the device after 1/1/2023 unless I create a Meta account, but the second paragraph starts with “if you choose to continue with your Oculus account” (which isn’t at all clear if they mean “choose right now” or “choose into the indefinite future”)

Meta accounts can be registered with FB accounts but also be normal accounts, using a fictional name.

It’s a new non-FB linked account which is the umbrella for all Meta services.

You can link other accounts under it, like Horizon (which the Quest will also ask you to make), Facebook, and Instagram.

They mean right now, when clicking ‘continue’. After Jan 1 you need a Meta account.

Awesome – thank you for the clarification!

Any opinions on Rez Infinite? The trailer is trippy and werid, but it doesn’t give a good impression of how is to actually play the game.

I think it’s a SHMUP.

Kind of. It’s a rhythm shooter. They VRified the Playstation game.

I’m sure there are a gazillion gameplay videos on YouTube.

Assuming you mean the trailer on the Oculus store, that is (edited) gameplay. You’re floating through space on a rail, the squarish thing is your cursor, and you move it over enemies to tag them (up to a limit), then they got shot in time with the music.

Well, when I said I wanted opinions, I meant, ‘is worth buying?’

Absolutely. Rez is glorious, pancake or VR. But it’s mainly about the music and visuals. You have now inspired me to give it another whirl though. It’s been too long since I played it.

I’ve got the urge to play some light experience games in VR. I enjoyed The Climb. Any suggestions? I’m looking at this one:

I have it pending to play. It seems it’s perhaps the VR game with the most advanced graphics, but I don’t know how much content will have.