Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Thanks I think I’ll get it too. Browsing the Steam sale, I also see the following, wondering if any of you have tried Red Matter - 40% off, or Moss - 20% off.

Moss is a very charming diorama style puzzler.

Red Matter is kind of an FPS puzzler, but IMO is pretty generic, distinguished mostly by being in VR

On a whim I used my 30% coupon to pick up Lucky’s Tale. I’m a sucker for dioramas and platforming, so I swallowed my distaste for the toddler-type sensibility of the trailer… and you know what… it’s a great little platformer. So far, very easy to play, the VR depth perception makes this less ‘challenging’ than Mario 3D World to get around, and otherwise, the mechanics (and game aesthetics) are basically Mario, which is great. Kids would have a good time here.

Doesn’t seem like a very long game… 12 levels I think, and I did the first two in an hour, replaying each level for time trials and coin hunting, so seasoned players would blast through it, but it’s priced low enough to be fair (and my coupon, helped). I definately want more like this. Nintendo is missing a trick if they ignore VR too long, even a little title like this has ruined pancake platformers for me now.

There are a number like it, Moss being the best regarded, so you’re sitting pretty for options after Lucky’s Tale.

Oh sure, I have both Moss games. Only started Moss2… there’s something a bit heavy and careful about the pacing, whereas Lucky kinda joyfully smashes forward in design. Kind of a Prince of Persia vs Mario vibe. I don’t know too many others like it otherwise?.. Ven seems similar, but reviews make it sound kinda rocky and uneven. Down the Rabbit Hole was fantastic for diorama third person movement, but it’s a puzzler, not platformer.

I’m jealous about Astrobot on PSVR, that looks great.

Tried Trover Saves the Universe? If you like Justin Roiland, I mean really like Justin Roiland, then it’s the platformer for you. If, however, you ever find Morty annoying, then it can be a bit much.

Yes! I did enjoy it, even though as you say it was severe Roiland overload, and a bit sparse in level design. I quite enjoyed the little DLC at the end, almost more than the campaign, because of the more dense detail. That said, didn’t so much love the user-chair mechanic, would’ve preferred to have a floating chair or something, the warping got grating after a while.

Looks nice, but they have some fame of not finishing games.

Story mode for Stride?

Vertigo 2 is looking much better

Divine Duel remind me of Blaston, but it will be f2p

Gambit! promises a several hour campaign solo, or with 4 player coop

Also announce an Attack on Titan game, but nothing shown.
Finally, in the unxpected news category, Per Aspera is going to have a Quest port.

That seems… dumb.

Emails are going out to preorder PSVR2. I’ll be taking a wait and see approach.

VD update

• Significant performance improvements with PCVR games (up to 20% depending on the game)
• Reduced micro-stutters (orange bars) with SteamVR game
• Added support for DualShock 4 controller and ability to choose the type of emulated gamepad
• Fixed latency with input when resuming a session
• Fixed framerate of VR games while not wearing headset or when disconnected
• This version and future versions going forward require internet connectivity to establish a connection to your computer. All traffic remains local.

Hmmm…

Any idea about battery drain on the Quest 2? I set it up for the kids and would like to wrap it, but don’t want them to open it in a few weeks to find that it has to charge for hours before they can use it. Currently, it’s powered down.

I find it drains quite a lot unless I’m quite meticulous about hard shutting it down and unplugging the battery expansion cable. It seems like it’s easily woken in the background eg if the controllers move, even though I’ve got that switched off in the settings.

As long as it doesn’t wake up, it holds a charge fairly well. I wouldn’t trust it for several weeks though. If you have an external battery though, that should keep its charge (as long as it’s disconnected), so even if the headset is drained you could still play straight away).

It’s USB C, it charges in no time.

Or wrap it and have a tiny hole in the box where you can plug in a cord on Xmas Eve, just to make sure.

I have not found this to be the case. It’s 15W.

To be fair, I rarely game for longer than the three hour charge, so I haven’t kept close tabs on how long it takes since I’m not waiting on it, but I’m always impressed how quick I get the full green light, since I prefer to switch off my power bar during the night.

But yeah, if you know multiple people in the house will be using it you should get the battery pack head strap, Otherwise there will be strife. Keep it in your sock drawer till the day!

I found that the Quest 2 holds its charge very well when it’s turned off and left in a corner.

I guess I really don’t have the VR gene. Big-ass monitor and (if needed) TrackIR is enough?

Anyone want a Q2 cheap?

So I used my Q2 for the first time in a couple of weeks today and the battery was at 94%, so I think you’ll be fine.