Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I always do this, give I Expect You To Die a try. Just a great escape room game with AAA humor and execution. Like most VR it’s too short but well worth the buy. (Or you get a long crappy game.)

Oddly enough, I can’t get the kids to try it because it’s a seared game.

That’s wildly optimistic, sorry.

The limit seems to be 2005-06 games or so. Doom 3 and HL2 were 2004 games, Quest 2 could do those games, with a few cut corners. RE4 has been ported to Quest 2, that was a 2005 game but really released on a 2001 hardware (GC). 2006 saw the next generation of consoles, and in 2007 had games like Crysis or Bioshock or Stalker, that are imo too much for the Quest.

Always remember that VR games use a resolution closer to 4K than anything else, at 90 fps usually.

Right, but I bet Q2 could run Bioshock on low settings at 4K. Just not with shadows and reflections, etc.

It’s been installed for a year, but I finally got to playing The Climb. Another almost-excercise game, it’s pretty good. Once you get the hang of it I’m spidering across the rock face. Took me a while to realise, when doing the harder difficulty boulder stages, that keeping the trigger only half depressed will prevent you from fatigue, even when only hanging by one hand. It’s a tricky thing to master, especially when you’re panicking and all you want to do is death grip your controller.

Kinda want the sequel now, but I’m not enthused The Climb2 reuses the same stages as the first, and only adds two new ones, even if one is a city.

DCS, il2 Great Battles, Flying Circus or Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. They all do VR, and it’s just a perfect match of game and tech.

I mean, VR is great for the Sim space, but not everyone is into Sim games.

Still no real “killer app” outside of various enthusiast spaces.

Yes, i agree. Its a specific tool with a specific use. No killer app that will make you want to use it if you are not into what it’s good at.

I mean there’s no killer app to sell hammers to cooks is there?

Right, what’s the killer app of the Playstation 5?

Last of Us 1 and 2. Two of the top games I’ve ever played.

I love the Q2 for exercise apps…those are the only ones I use it for…exercise and music, great combos.

In case you didn’t try before, the Blu is now f2p with some paid dlc

IMO the end goal should be a standalone headset that can run a great version of HL Alyx at a decent visual quality. I think it might be doable in the next few years. Could always go even further above and beyond that with higher fidelity and stuff but if the game is fully playable and looks pretty good that would be incredible.

I agree, that’s plenty of quality for all the other benefits VR brings. Of course we also need ten AAA games a year like Alyx, which is a much bigger ask.

You say that, but in 12 years we will be accustomed to even prettier graphics on computers and consoles, so HL Alyx will look kinda outdated. There will be always better and better. That’s why there is no limited ‘end goal’, unless not right now until we get close to photo realism.

I’m sure someone naively said ‘yep, that’s it, we have enough graphics with this, from this point onward devs should focus on more interaction, or better story or better AI’ when HL2 released on 2004, and look where we are now.

Plus the hardware end goal has not been reached yet, which was stated several years ago by Michael Abrash as being 8k per eye!

My take is more about technical complexity of gameplay scenarios, not graphical fidelity.

The problem today is that the Quest 2 is not powerful enough to run most modern games regardless of graphical fidelity. Open worlds with lots of interactions, complex physics, etc are too much for it.

Basically, right now the Quest 2 is like a PSP or Vita before the Nintendo Switch, while I’m waiting for the inevitable Steam Deck.

Steam Deck showed it’s possible to run practically anything on a handheld if you don’t care about the highest resolution or graphical fidelity, and I’m sure the same will happen with VR in the next few years.

I kind of disagree. 12 years ago you had games like Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption 1 and Metro 2033 being released. Sure there’s definitely been graphical improvement since then, but those games are still very playable and don’t at all look ugly. The pace of graphical development in video games has been pretty incremental over the last decade.

I played Beat Saber for the first time in about a year I think. I bought the rock pack. I wanted to get a little activity to get the heart rate up a little. First, I either degraded quite a bit or this rock pack is a lot harder. I passed normal difficulty OK, but I did make some errors on each song. I needed to play hard difficulty to get enough movement to raise my heart rate up though. I failed the songs, so for the first time I switched the arrows off so I could hit the targets anyway I wanted. It was a ton of fun, because I could go crazy without worrying about failure too much. I actually still made mistakes though. I thought it would be easier.

It wasn’t as much exercise as Supernatural, but since i wanted light exercise that was OK.I think the movements in Beat Saber are more fun, but I did kinda miss the nice scenery.

I’d say it’s a bit harder than is typical. I haven’t gotten through Freebird on Expert even on normal speed, which is unusual for me.

Just played through Foo Fighters The Pretender on Expert+fast and failed on the very last note. That’s never happened to me before on any song (and I’ve played probably thousands of them.) Great track.