Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Frustrating! It’s kinda sad that I have deteriorated, but I don’t think I could beat expert even at my best. You definitely have better Beat Saber skills than I :-)

Grid Legends coming to… Quest

I was complaining the other day about the lack of racing games, so it’s a nice surprise. The graphics, though :(

That’s the result when you try to take a modern game and fit it into the Quest. I would prefer if they use the RE4 model, or taking a good game from 11-15 years ago and using it as a base.

Ooh, that’s actually quite exciting. I’ve played V-speedway to death, would be great to have another racer, and Downtown Club has been delayed it seems.

Graphics… yeah, seem a bit pixelly, which is a bit odd, even if there is a lot of transparency textures for bg detail.

Grid was what, 2006 ish? I loved it back when I played it. The San Francisco level was especially pretty for the day.

Edit: 31 gig! Ooooof. The hard drive hits are getting worse and worse. Part of the appeal of the Quest2 is to have a broad choice of quick to play games at any time. And not risk losing scores and saves if you delete games, who knows what’s cloud saving or not.

Any of you guys ever flew Falcon 4.0 in any of its iterations? I think it having (quite excellent!) VR these days should be in this thread as well. It may look old, but it’s fast, and it’s a deep flight sim with an actual game in there as well. Much to love.

https://youtu.be/658ax0y8KHs

I mean, so much time ago that i don’t know if it counts. I played it on the release year, of 1998 I believe?

Falcon 1.0 with keyboard, bitches! Also MSFS and it had a secret combat mode. Falcon 3? pretty much gave me a career because I knew how to free up 604 Kb of memory back in the early 90s.

Ahahaha same here, though I ditched my career in IT right after I started on it, the corporate environment is not for me.

Anyway, get yer falcon on boys!

himem.sys wizards unite! And emm386.sys? maybe? Been a long time.

Hey @TurinTur , you mentioned before you had unlocked every plane in Ultrawings 2? What’s the secret to the last biplane? I’ve bought every airport, and finished every Ops mission. I have a handful of missions left for the other craft, but I’m finding it unlikely you’d have to do this much content without unlocking it, the others came so quickly.

I see there’s a DLC plane now with races, that’s not the one I’m talking about.

I don’t remember… but I think you unlocked the planes as you bought each airport? But wait, you say you already did that. What happens if you try to buy it? Or you don’t have that option?

Yeah exactly, it’s just not available and greyed out. Weird. I was super boring about my progression too, just unlocked each airport as I went along, did every mission as I went, with the exception of the very last ones at the International airport in the city. I really thought it was gonna unlock at the multi-island zone, since you see them racing there.

Try to contact the dev/people in the discord channel

Also, there are saves out there with all unlocked, if everything else fails.

Good call… still struggle with finding things on discord, thanks for the link.

Edit: @TurinTur , I just had to return the Evergreen Regional, it then just popped up as ready to buy. I guess the first time I was there I hadn’t accrued enough whatever-it-was. Silly it doesn’t just become available wherever you are, though.

Wow I crashed ten times in the Hawk until I realised I needed to push down on the tail until the front lifted… that rotary engine sent me spinning every time otherwise. Fun little plane once it’s in the air!

As a dedicated gym rat, I have not to date made use of VR for “exercise”, but I have recently taken to playing Beat Saber as a form of after evening meal activity, in place of walking in the darker / colder months.

What do y’all think of as the best VR games for “exercise”? My experiences are . .

Beat Saber: Good, maybe not ‘great’. Issues I have is that it looks like at higher difficulties, success relies on efficient wrist only action, rather than larger body movements.

Thrill of the Fight: Fantastic, lots of foot movement and arm movement, also highly stressful and for me, not as much ‘fun’ as Beat Saber

Ragnorak: High fun factor, but far less body movement than others.

Box VR: Now FitXR, and has moved to a subscription based model for new content. The ‘best’ exercise app I have played though, since it incorporates a wide variety of upper and lower body movements, like ducking, leaning, uppercuts, cross-body punching.

I am now looking at Les Mills Bodycombat, which could be as good as Box VR for full body movement, but is just a one-off purchase, no sub. Regret that Supernatural is ‘unavailable for your region’ (Europe), and that one is subscription model too.

social mp games, werewolf style

Also coming to AppLab

Mothership gun 40% off for Q2

Make lego figures ?

Roberta Williams comeback

I usually dig these platform/chill games

Roblox could come to Quest later this year

Some misc VR news, for surgeons in training

Razer coming to Quest after market market

That Roblox news is pretty big!

Well, Grid is getting savaged in the reviews, mostly for the ugly graphics and no VR controls. I didn’t realise this was a current generation game port, thought it was a revised version of the old 2008 game… which quite frankly, would have been an infinitely better decision, given the much lower graphical standards might actually have given a prettier result than turning everything into pixel soup. And have been kinder on the hard drive space, 31 gig vs however tiny the original was.

The controls, well… I don’t mind using a controller stick if need be, but V-speedway does a fantastic job at Vr steering, and it’s a lite bicep builder to boot, but I can see not everyone having the arm stamina.

But yeah, silly business decision, the reviews were inevitable; Meta, probably desperate for a racer, should have let it sit in Applab regardless.

Wow, I didn’t realise Codemasters finally added VR to one of their newer PC games - F1 '22! And apparently it runs like crap. :(

Funnily enough they had experimental Oculus Rift support in Grid Autosport on PC, back in 2014 or so. I recall it was pretty decent.

Lots of moneys for Gorilla Tag

Apple leak
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-23/apple-reality-pro-details-eye-hand-tracking-app-store-3d-ios-like-interface

Another Dreamcast game ported to vr

I bought Pathcraft (ref link), so here it’s some impressions. It’s really a puzzle game through and through, and it’s actually different from the Lemmings games that were a bit more freeform in how to reach your objective with the tools available, here it’s all about putting a few blocks in key places (and at key times) to manipulate the path of your protagonist so he can reach x points to take batteries, making him change of direction just when needed, with emphasis on the designed level as the puzzle itself, the game happens in a ‘void’ so any bad block placement from your path can make your dude to walk towards oblivion. There can be multilevel structures you have to climb up and down, or holes you have to smartly use as shortcuts, or know the most efficient order in between different goals. it has 80 puzzles and a editor is included.
And it can be surprisingly fiendish, at least to get the 3 stars on each level (yes, it’s one of those games where you are scored 1-3 stars and you are shown a high score table at the end). Sometimes in a shocking way, at first glance the levels don’t have that many interactive elements to tweak, but there are more possible solutions always than it seems. Almost frustratingly fiendish, in how you end a level with 18 moves and then you are shown that some people did it with 13 moves and you are like WTF, how is that possible?! In that regard, I can say I discovered a trick: you can pick some blocks and they don’t count as ‘move’ if you don’t drop it on the game world.

Even if I said it’s a pure puzzle game, I also have to say it isn’t friendly to people with disabilities or something like that, I say that because sometimes you have to move blocks around in real time, which can be a bit stressful. Once the protagonist start walking (removing a block from his initial path), he won’t stop so sometimes you have to place the blocks with a ‘time limit’, as he approaches gaps he has to surpass, and you can’t place blocks while paused, in fact you can’t do anything while paused, because the only way to pause the game is to summon the menu which removed the current level from view.