Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Thanks for the rundown! Definitely going to look into this.

9/10 for Breachers

Just picked up this Humble Bundle of VR games. It includes Vertigo (remastered), which was mentioned above.

Wanderer and maybe Superfly looked interesting to me, too. And maybe Zenith, but am I seriously going to dive into a VR MMO? Unlikely.

I’m getting into VR because I am starting a new job in a couple weeks with (let’s just say) a studio associated with one of the major platform holders. I’ve barely dabbled up until now–Thumper, Rez, Tetris, Beat Saber… mostly rhythm games for some reason?

If anyone here has recommendations for the essential VR experiences on Steam or Oculus, I’d love to hear them!

Noticed this one a while ago, I definitely want to try it out at least. Who knows, it may actually be decent.

Half Life: Alyx, if you haven’t played it already.

Walkabout Mini Golf is good too. I bought that one straight from the Oculus store, not sure if it’s better to buy the game there or on Steam.

It’s a great bundle

Remember, if you die in the game, you die in real life! :P

My recommendations

Beat Saber - rhythm
The Light Brigade - shooter/roguelite
Moss Book 2 - action/adventure/platform
Red Matter 2 - action/adventure
Ultrawings 2 - arcade flying
Pistol Whip - rhythm
In Death: Unchained - archery/roguelite
Puzzling Places - jigsaw puzzles
The Room VR - adventure/puzzle
Resident Evil 4 - action/horror
Demeo - tactical/tabletop
Blaston - 1vs1 online/action
Walkabout Minigolf - minigolf
Eleven: Table Tennis VR - Table tennis

On pc
After the Fall - shooter/coop (it’s on Quest, but it’s a lesser port)
Lone Echo 1/2 - first person adenture
Half life Alyx - FPS
Vertigo 2 - FPS2

Thanks for the recommendations, @J_Thomas and @TurinTur! I asked a friend of mine the other night what he played, and he also mentioned Walkabout. I’ve got a lot to dive into!

After the Fall does the essentials well enough (shooting zombies is fun!), but it fails in some other areas.
-It has very few special enemies (and they ones it has aren’t that… special).
The AI director, if there is any, it’s pretty mediocre, the runs are very similar in between because of that.
-t has very few people playing on the lower difficulty levels so starting to play now it’s harder.
-Bots don’t know to use heal items or use one to revive you, making playing with them way harder.
-I don’t love how the difficulty is balanced. The difficulty is too concentrated in a single point, the final fight. IMO, it should be a bit easier and the normal fights a bit harder.
-No join in progress, either. It should exist and players replace bots, like in other coop games.
-As commented before, it needs a beefy computer to play without framerate worries.

Has anybody mentioned yet anything about Amid Evil VR?

I saw it’s cheaper for current owners of the original game, but I’m not that interested.

Having fun with Ghost Signal after finally giving it a proper go. Been through three runs so far, dying on the big boss at the end of the third map each time. Definitely have to grind a bit to be able to get past either one you choose I think. The creature encounters have been a definite highlight, looking pretty good in VR graphics. It’s fun piling up the upgrades too, with nothing seeming really unbalanced to me so far. The missiles sure hit hard so I’ll probably try to focus on building them up next run to take out the big boss.

Meta gaming showcase, June 1

A rare Quest bundle

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-quest-vr-bundle?aff_track=CJ&CJEVENT=b8c4ed9df54411ed8325c3700a82b838&utm_source=CJ&cj_pid=7058984&cj_aid=13797872

A few VR-specialized sites have received an invitation to the Apple keynote in the WWDC. Which means that finally, the rumors will be true and they will present their VR/MR headset.

This should put more eyes into the VR ecosystem, benefiting everyone indirectly, imo. The headset itself, surely will be $2000-3000 so it will be more a thing for developers and creatives, not a mass market product.

Yeah, I have a severe chronic case of early adopter syndrome (I bought a freaking Oculus DK2 to play VR games and I haven’t written code since the 1990s), but the price level here, combined with experience buying first-generation Apple products (wanna see my Gen 1 iPod Touch with no speaker?) is going to just have me sit back and hope that the hype here just sells a lot more Meta Quest 2 headsets.

And quest 2 lowered to $299.

Their gaming showcase will be in a pair of hours I believe

I’m intrigued by the gaming showcase, they say, “41 new games and apps.” If there are maybe two AAA titles in there, I might be tempted by Q3, but right now I barely use my Q2 so it seems like it might be a waste.

Also, what would be the process of gifting a Q2 to someone while retaining your account? I guess you can just factory reset it?

You can factory reset it yes

I think the biggest feature I’m excited about in that Quest 3 teaser is higher res display for sharper image (curious by how much). GPU power is nice, but I’m guessing it’ll be 2 years before anyone can use it to not omit the Quest2 user base or fracture the marketplace.

I’ll probably pick it up if it means I can finally mini golf or table tennis with one of my kids, if I can also use it on a PC and get a better visual fidelity than the old one would have. it would be great if they let you share a game library by devices all in one household… but if not, a lot of the multiplayer games are fairly cheap.

Ooh, never played the original Samba de Amigo, makes a lot of sense for VR

Asgard’s Wrath 2! I really should finish the first one.