Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

This sounds like it could be a good value assuming they can keep the quality up.

Just skipped through this but looks 10 times nicer than the usual headset…

Thousand bucks.

After a 6 year hiatus, I’m back into PC gaming, and hooked up my Quest 2 via airlink. Everything plays well in VR that I’ve tried. MSFS, DirtRally2, DCS, WarThunder, TruckSim etc. Amazing how much it helps these sims play, your decision making is so much easier when you intuitively know how deep the game world is, rather than guessing at pixels.

Have to say, the standout ‘fun’ titles are GTAV and RDR2 using the “forbidden” Luke Ross mods. Really important to use 90hz+ since it renders frames sequentially and you get ghosting at 72hz. But yeah, so much fun to romp around these settings in VR. RDR2 is especially jaw dropping… astounding beauty to walk a horse through the snow, trees and mountains. The Youtube guy mick with the latest hack advice said the game only works in mono now, which was alright, looking around in a 360deg movie, but I turned on stereo and I’ve had no problems with 5+ hours of play… and daaaang. Rockstar is throwing away millions not making an official version… it could literally be the killer game keeping VR from exploding.

PCVR rocks. That said, I have a powerful new machine that struggles with nothing, so I’m breezing by a lot of settings angst that most normal players probably butt up against.

In 20 minutes? Quest 3 presentation
https://www.facebook.com/Meta/

Clearly whoever designed the headset aesthetics is not a Saga fan:

Underwhelmed with the PSVR2. I used the Q2 so much more when I had both of them…just being untethered is so much more enjoyable. Wish I could trade in my PSVR2 for a Q3.

Yeah, I got a PC to play VR sims on my Quest 2 but I only played tethered for about 10 minutes and nope nope noped out of that and got a battery pack to extend battery life and airlinked forever after that. So amazing to just walk over to my couch and play games from there too when I don’t need my hands on the Hotas or wheel.

Upgrade time! Headset delivers on Friday the 13th… :)

Which one? The Quest 3? I’m a little bit envious, but I rarely use my Quest 2, so…perhaps I shouldn’t spend what is a not small amount of money on this again!

Quest 3, yeah. My Q2 usage also dropped off lately but a new bit of kit always revitalises the interest. ;)

Awesome! I Look forward to hearing your impressions, and thus be enabled to purchase it myself as well :-D

I don’t see any real reason to upgrade, especially as I have a Reverb for higher res PCVR. It’s questionable at this point how many games are going to make use of the higher graphics power given the install base of the Quest 2 (and 1). I see this hardware as being an every-other-generation kind of upgrade, absent something transformative like going from tethered to untethered (and even then I skipped the first Quest).

I won’t upgrade to Quest 3. I have been using it less in the last months, it’s 200 e more expensive and while it’s more powerful ,it isn’t a super big jump. And the mixed reality stuff is neat but not enough to buy a new device.

What I would like in a new device:
-real improvements in weight. From 500g to 250g.
-real improvements in battery. It’s the third iteration of the quest line and it has the same 2-2.5 hours. I’d like 50% more.
-real improvements in fov. Like, 25º more hour fov.

I am thinking about picking one up, mostly to be able to play games like minigolf and ping pong and all the other cool coop stuff with my kids… although it might challenge my sitting room space to have two of us floundering around.

I do think the resolution bump will help clarity, and the processing jump does make upgraded versions of existing games enticing, as they suggest might happen like with Sinners & Saints, which I’ve been waiting on. But yeah, if I already had a higher res PCVR headset I would also be not jumping on it.

That said, the 512 gig storage alone is nice. I’ve been deleting and replacing for a year now on my 128gig Q2.

I’d love a wider FOV too but it seems the 125is degree fov headsets are also bulky and very expensive, so I guess it’s a 2-3 years thing to solve for mass consumption headsets.

Pretty sure at this point they’ve decided this is an OK amount of battery life (especially when they can upsell you a strap) and they’re just going to put any more efficiency gains into performance and/or weight. Just like phones and watches, much to my annoyance.

Yeah it seems they would need to find a new design, a new lens system, to really increase the fov, AND do it without needing a super bulky headset.
I mean, the end goal is to have full eye coverage, isn’t it?

Fixed that for you, as the young ones used to say!

/cue lawnmower vr gif

Norm gives his thoughts.