Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I feel you @Wallapuctus - my 10yo and his same aged cousin are also OBSESSED with Gorilla Tag, but they are managing to stay constrained to the play area which in my house is about 2m square. Manually draw/define the play boundary and as above, make it smaller than the extremes of your space, then strictly enforce compliance through confiscation. (My) kids are stupid and only learn through punitive measures. I also introduced them to Beat Saber to get them off Gorilla Tag.

Also make sure you put the straps on the right way - the slide ring goes between your wrist and the controller. I was doing it wrong and yeah, they won’t work well that way.

In other news, I bought a Meta Quest 3 for Christmas. I still hate Meta with fire of a 1000 suns, but holy moly this thing is pretty amazing. I shat my pants when I turned around and nearly fell off a ledge in In Death Unchained. Eleven Table Tennis is uncannily good - my 81yo dad played and tried to steady himself on the virtual table (I was nearby to assist anticipating such a reaction).

So far, Air Link just works, Steam Link just works

As mentioned, if you put the slide ring up towards the controller, put your hand in the loop, and slide the ring down towards your arm, the straps do work well.

Tried the Quest 3 with Virtual Desktop’s new OpenXR support in Microsoft Flight Sim tonight and was blown away. Looks like I’m gonna find my HP Reverb G2 box and put that baby up on eBay. Quest 3 looks just as sharp, but with a much larger sweet spot.

Time to make a ‘VR room’ in your house, without furniture?

We also got a Quest 3. Pretty good so far, no kid accidents playing Swarm, still sampling things.
That Horizon thing is extremely bland and also creepy as hell.
I fought two 3 round matches in Thrill of the Fight yesterday and now my whole body aches.

How does one get this to work? Is it seamles? As in do I just set the Virtual Desktop streamer to VDXR, launch Flight Sim from ‘desktop’ mode (Gamepass version, btw) and then toggle VR mode in FS?

!!!

This changes everything.

Gorilla tag should be outlawed. I deleted it because my kid was driven by me crazy with it but then they started putting tag in a bunch of other games. New rule, no multiplayer games at all.

Be careful with thrill of the fight, I screwed up my shoulder pretty good with that one.

Yeah, I’m going to take it easy because it works muscles I’m not used to work. Today I’m skipping it, maybe one match tomorrow.
It’s surprising how hard punching the air for a few minutes can be.

Yep! With OpenXR set to VDXR, it just works automatically. You even see MSFS in 2D on the virtual desktop until you trigger VR mode in the sim, at which point it goes full-immersive. These are my settings on the PC Virtual Desktop Streamer:

And these are my settings in-headset. I’m going to bump it up to 90Hz as the only time my FPS have been dropping below 80 is when switching between interior and exterior views.

I’m a pretty good table tennis player, my score in ranked Eleven is high 1800s. I was looking for a good Pickleball game, but the teleportation aspect really bothered me, but realistically, the size of a court is still way too big for my space to use only real motion. So, I tried Racket Club.

Fantastic! It merges the swings and spin and ball weight of a tennis ball, the quick reflexes of table tennis, and the three dimensional trajectories of Squash or Racquetball, and best of all, with a two meter play space, you don’t need to teleport at all. Even better, you can play doubles, and they have a great club area where you can watch matches in progress, chat with people inside the court, and call people over when you need more players, as you would in real life.

I think some of the serving mechanics will be tightened up as right now if you get really good at placement, it’s too hard to return, but for a technical but very approachable ‘sport’, I’m loving the more full body play, over the more rigid table tennis posture.

They have yet to introduce the ranked play, I think they want to ease into splitting the community that way… assuming it catches on enough, I suppose. So far I haven’t had any trouble catching a game at the club. The menu based sorter was less good, but I think that speaks to how nice it is to pop into a communal area and get a game more naturally.

I notice a lot of Spaniards playing. Hola, amigos, yo juego por favor? Several ladies too, which is refreshing.

I also tried the Pickleball game and yeah, it just did not work for me. The teleport feature was wonky and I dont have a full sized court to take advantage of the move feature so the game is getting refunded.
I am looking for a racket type game so perhaps a tennis or racketball game would be better suited for me. I might give Racket Club a shot but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for a good, playable racket game?

Any reason for such a low bitrate? Isn’t image quality more important than latency in Flight Sim? Same goes for desktop bitrate, no need to have it low - I have both these cranked to max (I play a heap of No Man’s Sky VR). But then I do plug Quest 3 into power while playing seated on PC. :)

I also like have VD start with Windows minimized, it is such a light and unobtrusive piece of software (unlike Oculus software) it’s so great just being able to connect to the desktop whenever you like.

VDXR also works amazingly for dev - Unity Editor play mode wirelessly connects to it with ease.

I think Virtual Desktop is my number one piece of Quest software lol… if I could fully uninstall Oculus PC software I would. :P

I tried a few tennis games (there’s one with a demo), but with teleport it didn’t feel like tennis, more like a swing simulator. Half the game IRL is about getting to the ball and sound positioning, without that element, what’s the point? Racket Club basically uses all the same tennis stroke mechanics, as spin plays a big part, unlike Pickleball where the racket has much less friction, but the reaction time is more like Pickleball because of the close quarters. And yeah, the side and back walls let you save a shot by playing it off them like Squash. It’s really elegant. If you pick it up, add me, @SpiffyMikeb.

I know there’s also a type of arcade racket game where you hit a ball against targets and such, but I guess I like keeping sports to sports. (Unless it’s archery, then I want to headshot some zombies.)

Can you share an App Referral link? :)

Is there any way you can play 1v2 games? I see 3x3m is recommended in reviews, does it still work okay with only 2x2m?

Nope, no reason at all! I just started using the program a couple of days ago, and even at that bitrate the image quality was comparable to the Reverb G2. (But without the tiny sweet spot.) Suggestions on bitrates?

I have the Quest on my router’s 6GHz channel, 3 feet from the router, and all my other devices are on 5GHz or 2.4GHz, so signal should be good.

Also, I’m @DennyA on Quest if any of y’all want to add me. Maybe ping me you’re from Qt3 if your VR name is different since I get a fair number of random requests.

Yeah I’m only on 5Ghz, close to router, PC wired to it, and have no issues maxing bitrates. Virtual Desktop shows my connection speed varying between 720 and 1200Mbps.

Bitrate gives a balance between latency and image quality - for faster-paced games you want lower bitrates, but where clarity is more important you want higher. You can see the latency and encoding times in the performance overlay.

The codec you choose determines the max available bitrate. I don’t have a 4000 series GPU so can’t use AV1, instead I use the HEVC 10-bit maxed out to 200Mbps. 100 is probably fine but I can notice the difference in No Man’s Sky, which has lots of colour bands and benefits from minimal compression artefacts.

For desktop I max that as well, 100Mbps at 120Hz refresh.

You can see in your screenshots, I think the blue underline shows the recommended range. I live dangerously and push VR Bitrate as far as it goes (for a sedate game like NMS at least). ;)

Ah, thanks, @Profanicus! Maxed out the bitrate and FPS and with the 10-bit CODEC that the Quest 3 supports everything looks amazing. Latency is up a bit, but not an issue with MSFS. Getting 50 fps in worst-case scenarios, closer to 90 in less CPU-intensive planes.

And yeah, I’m just tethered to my PC’s USB C cable for power when I’m using Virtual Desktop for sims, so might as well max out everything that uses more power!

I was pleasantly surprised that the Zenni prescription inserts for the Quest 3 are only $50. So I got a pair, and they seem to work really well! Very sharp picture and so much nicer than wearing my glasses in the headset.

Yeah, I got some too, and it’s oddly exciting to play without glasses on. Given that I’m in the headset almost everyday for work and it was causing wear and tear on my glasses, it seemed like a no-brainer.

Gorilla Tag does seem to be the #1 game out there for property damage. I haven’t played it, but I have smacked some walls playing GORN in the past, and more recently Asgard’s Wrath 2 in perhaps too small a room. My one tip is to manually set smaller borders than it defaults to so you have more warning. Also manually draw a little notch in one border so you can easily tell what direction you are facing in real life if your border is otherwise rectangular or square.

I’ll echo that prescription inserts are totally worth it, and that virtual desktop is way better than Oculus Link or Steam Link in my experience for playing MSFS (which is 95% of my VR usage).

Unlike the Quest 2, the default Quest 3 headstrap seems to work great. I have no desire to get a fancy strap.