Wal-Mart Is Focal Point Of Democrats' Health Bill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/22/AR2005062202136.html

Several congressional Democrats introduced a bill yesterday that would force states to report the names of companies that have 50 or more employees who receive government-funded health care, an effort to pressure Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in particular to improve employee health coverage.

In introducing the Health Care Accountability Act, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), Rep. Anthony D. Weiner (D-N.Y.), and Sen. Jon S. Corzine (D-N.J.) said they are concerned that large employers such as Wal-Mart are transferring responsibility for health care to government-funded programs such as Medicaid.

Of Wal-Mart’s 1.3 million full- and part-time employers, the lawmakers estimate that more than 600,000 do not have company insurance. Company critics say Wal-Mart wages are so low and the health premiums charged to employees so high, even some full-time employees qualify for government-funded health care.

“Every member of Congress has health insurance because they understand the importance of providing for themselves and family. If it’s good enough for Congress . . . it’s good enough for everyone. Except for Wal-Mart,” Kennedy said at a news conference. “Every worker in America is paying a part of their taxes to pay for Wal-Mart.”

Sounds good. Disclosure: Walmart sucks.

Walmart sucks.

Yes, it certainly does.

Jesus H. Christ in a chickenbasket, I actually agree with Midnight Son about something. What’s next? Plague of locusts?

Cats and dogs, living together.

Mass hysteria!

Bring me your farmer’s daughters and good lookin’ female cousins!

WAl-Mart sucks, and they also probably have enough money to kill bills like this.

Um - isn’t every member of Congress covered by health insurance because the government pays for it (i.e. our taxes?)

Congress sucks, but so does Walmart. They should merge.