Wallet Threat Level

Oh wow man, I think I’ve got a wallet threat.

This thing?

(Watches trailer).

Ok, I have to admit, that looks pretty good. Hits me right in the arcade nostalgia when I went there with a handful of quarters and these types of games always gave me the most bang for my meager amount of quarters.

friend tried it, it turns out it is a terrible cashgrab: emulation is wrong all over the place, there are hardly any settings, the game enforced scanlines… you can safely go on your way. or wait for the M2 console versions, whenever they come out.

i’m a bit interested in this… but not this week, as i have yet to finish persona 5. or dragon quest xi. or even ffx, for that matter !

Pharaoh’s the big one

What is this?

The M2 shottriggers collection. after a variety of cave on the xbox and ps, they are now doing toaplan games on the ps and switch. first ones were tiger helis and various sharks. outzone hopefully not too far in the horizon !

I did not know this was coming and it’s definitely an immediate threat to my wallet. Added it to the wishlist, I’ll wait a couple days to see if there are a bunch of complaints about bugginess or terrible UI and then I’m sure I’ll be buying it.

Pharaoh and Dreams in the Witch House are two rare games that I might buy day one. Although neither has announced their launch price, that I can see, so it’ll depend on that.

Theatrhythm, but not until a sale (or an extremely unlikely PC port). I can’t justify $100 for the “full” version.

i am waiting impatiently on whether witch house is the best lovecraft game of the year or a terrible management chore XD

I’ve never heard of Dreams in the Witch House? What’s this now?

Labyrinth of Refrain was a really good dungeon-crawler style JRPG, and the Japanese reviews on the sequel were that it’s even better, so I’ll be grabbing this by the weekend at the latest. Even though I’m not close to done with Spellforce (which in turn displaced the new Fire Emblem). Busy month.

try the demo on steam! a little over an hour long, super worth it to the end.

I really liked the demo. In a way, the time management/survival stuff is kind of tedious or sometimes frustrating, but I think in the right way? You constantly have to make a decision about whether you can afford to pursue story stuff and digging up more occult secrets or if you have to buckle down and attend to your basic needs. It really is a poor college student simulator, where you happen to be majoring in Cosmic Horrors. I think it’s unique and seemed like it worked in the demo.

Imagine a Lovecraftian point-and-click melded with a survival game. You can’t pore over De Vermis Mysteriis in the Miskatonic Library if you haven’t eaten since yesterday! Hard to work on that dissertation when the only light bulb in your room has burned out or you’re out of firewood during a freezing winter!

my secret hope is that you can’t succeed and the aim of the game is to manage your failure. But i’m an optimist who still hopes games will one day get it!

NO MAS!!!

I’m still catching up to buying last year’s releases. Just too many games; I will NEVER finish my backlog.

Oh, and there was a bunch of surprise releases last week that weren’t in my Wallet Threat post last week. One was Metroid Prime (Remaster) that I edited in. Another one that I just found out about just now was this, for PS4 and Switch, for 99 cents apparently:

it’s a cute sort of demo for the power pro game. the online element is a bit cumbersome, i haven’t managed to play anyone yet.

And metroid prime was red alert and totally unfair ;(