Wallet Threat Level

Wow, lots of wallet threats this week, right? Shadow Gambit is the pirate themed game from the developer that made the well received Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3. And Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is hopefully the return of Jet Set Radio. And then there’s always the people who buy Madden games every year. Some of the developers behind the 360 title Marble Blast Ultra are back this week with Marble it Up! Ultra, that’s a personal wallet threat for me thanks to the pedigree. Honestly, the demo didn’t do much for me, but the original Marble Blast Ultra demo wasn’t impressive either. Game Pass gets Everspace 2 on Xbox and Texas Chainsaw Massacre this week.

Tuesday (8/15/23):​

• Hammerwatch 2 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, Switch)
  • Desynced (PC)
  • Moving Out 2 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Wayfinder (PC, PS5, PS4)
  • Everspace 2 (Xbox Series X/S)

Wednesday (8/16/23):​

• Quasimorph (PC)
  • WWE 2K23: Bad News U Pack DLC (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)
  • En Garde! (PC)

Thursday (8/17/23):​

• Quantum: Recharged (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare (PS4, Switch)
  • Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Two Point Campus: Medical School DLC (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Gord (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PC)
  • Marble it Up! Ultra (Xbox Series X/S, XBO, Switch)
  • Hello Engineer (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)

Friday (8/18/23):​

• Bomb Rush Cyberfunk (PC, Switch)
  • Madden 24 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)
  • The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)

Is my wallet threat this week - An MMO with full controller support, and different classes set in a fantasy world - its my jam!

I’m really excited about it too, though it’s difficult to explain why. I’ve watched some footage, though, and it looks like fun to me. I really like that the season towers (read: battle passes) never expire once you buy them, because I’ve been playing so little. I’m also a big fan of only needing to point up 20 bucks for the basic pack to try it out, but having the option to upgrade to a more expensive founders tier if I like it.

Apparently I missed one on August 11th:

Special thanks to the TROGDOR Burninator thread.

I think it’s a smart model to allow folks to try it out and then upgrade if it’s their jam.

Dude, you forgot this on the 16th:

Definitively a wallet threat for me.

As for the rest, I’ll buy Shadow Gambit for my father, and maybe for me as well. We’ll see.

Ohhh, very nice catch! Added. Definitely a wallet threat for me.

Wait, Wayfinder looks kind of neat? I’ll keep an eye on that one, I guess.

Oh, that’s one i should get back to, now that i have an ssd.

Fancy!

This looks like it could be good. Early Access though, so will see how it ends up at 1.0.

It doesn’t sound like this game will need its own thread. Sounds like an interesting idea to combine RTS and town management, but execution doesn’t sound great.

IGN review is more brutal. Subtitle is “As in, bored out of my …” 4/10.

Yes based on the demo Gord went from a definite wallet threat to a “wait and see, buy on deep discount” game for me. I was quite hyped for it too, but the demo did them no favours IMO.

Desynced looks like one of those games that should appeal to me. But whenever I watch someone play it, it feels like it gets so complicated so quickly that in the end, my mind is spinning, and I’m convinced that it’s way too complex for me.

I think the tip off is whenever anyone compares a game to Factorio. That sets off warning bells in my mind.

That said, there does appear to be some sort of storyline with Desynced, so it looks kind of cool, but maybe just not for me.

Some games, I’m just better off watching other people play them :P

I finally got back to Factorio this past week, made myself play without mods, and finally launched a rocket last night. My base was a bit of a mess, but it did the job. Playing without QoL mods was a pain, but required to get the achievements. I need to spend more time on rail signals and networks, and better understanding logistics network in combination with combinators, but I cobbled something together got the job done. It was easy mode though as I had the biters off. I swing back and forth on enabling them. They aren’t so much a challenge as just one more grind so I don’t really care for them.

What has me intrigued with Desynced is they appear to have a procedural map and 3d. Satisfactory and Techtonica are both crafted maps. The story bit should help as well. I will concede that part of what caught my notice is it looks like it might be closer to factorio than the crafted map games. It also mentioned going into space on the roadmap, which I would like to see.

Some potentially major triple A and indie wallet threats this week. EA’s Immortals of Aveum comes out from a veteran Call of Duty designer. Fort Solis is that other game that was announced that looked a lot like Dead Space. Ride 5 is a thing that people play, I assume, since it’s the fifth one. Blasphemous 2 comes out this week, and is well reviewed. And the latest FROM software game about giant mechs Armored Core 6 comes out this week.

Any other wallet threats for you this week?

Monday (8/21/23):​

• DepowerBall (PC)
  • Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out (PC)
  • Whisker Squadron: Survivor (Early Access) (PC)
  • Jumplight Odyssey (Early Access) (PC)

Tuesday (8/22/23):​

• Immortals of Aveum (PC, PS5, XSX)
  • WrestleQuest (PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Fort Solis (PS5, PC)
  • Smurfs Kart (PC, PS4/5, Xbox One, XSX/S)
  • Guild Wars 2 expansion Secrets of the Obscure (PC)

Thursday (8/24/23):​

• Ride 5 (PC, PS5, XSX/S)
  • Blasphemous 2 (PC, PS5, XSX, Switch)
  • Toaplan Arcade Shoot 'Em Up Collection Vol.2 (PC)

Friday (8/25/23):​

• Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon (PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, XSX/S)

I would say threat level low, given I haven’t heard of the previous 4/1 games.

I think Ride 4 got “Internet famous” for a hot second based on a “photorealistic” video that came out in first person.

I think it was this one?

Blasphemous is a pretty highly regarded Metroidvania/Souls mashup with a wild Spanish Catholic horror aesthetic that I think is easily one of the most striking in the genre. The second one sounds to be more of that.