Wallet Threat Level

Every year as the dog days of summer drag on and back-to-school looms over me, I always find myself in coolant-gaming mode.

Lately (when I’m not playing the Arkham Horror card game) I can’t seem to muster up the gumption to play Baldur’s Gate 3 even though I feel like I’m supposed to want to be playing that. I loved the first three or four hours.

Instead, I’ve just been doofing around with The Gunk or Tinykin or the Quake 2 remake or Murder by Numbers or Glass Masquerade 3 (HONEYLINES!) or Halls of Torment or Isle of Arrows.

I think it’s a very low-level anxiety I get before heading back to the classroom and I don’t have much mental space for complexity. I’m just like, if the summer really has to come to an end, let’s get on with it already.

Or maybe it’s just Arkham Horror that’s draining out all my complexity reserves. :D

I heard this is like Vampire Survivors AND like Diablo. Sounds intriguing. But sadly, it looks like it’s still in Early Access. :(

Yeah, I typically avoid early access games but I went for it during the summer sale because A) the price was/is so low and B) I was stocking up on good games for my new Steam Deck. No ragrets! It currently has 12,000+ Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.

I’m not a fan of playing stuff in early access usually but Vampire Survivors was exactly the sort of game that works well for that and so VS-likes should be as well.

You know what isn’t in EA (though in active development) and is a more fun game of that genre to play right now, imo? Goobies. Did I mention GOOBIES?

Seriously, I don’t know why I find this game so delightful, but I do. Plus, it has Goobies!

Not on the wallet threat list for tomorrow, but coming out tomorrow, a new collection of 6 Borderland games:

If you already own any of them, you can get the rest for $30.

I already spent money on the Premium upgrade on Starfield, so that wallet threat has passed for me, but the game officially comes out today on Game Pass and on Steam. Baldur’s Gate 3 comes out on PS5. And a few other games out this week. Any wallet threats for you?

Tuesday (9/5/23):​

• Chants of Sennaar (PC, Switch)
  • Rune Factory 3 Special (PC, Switch)

Wednesday (9/6/23):​

• Baldur’s Gate 3 (PS5)
  • Starfield (PC, Xbox Series X/S)

Thursday (9/7/23):​

• The Dragoness: Command of the Flame (Switch)
  • Melvor Idle: Atlas of Discovery expansion (PC)
  • Rugby 24 (PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO)
  • Toss! (PC VR, Quest, PSVR 2)

Friday (9/8/23):​

• Fae Farm (PC, Switch)
  • NBA 2K24 (PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Melvor Idle: Atlas of Discovery expansion (PC)

This has been my new idle game after finishing NGU Idle. No microtransactions, cross-platform play (with a single purchase if you buy on Steam) and a lot of content. The base game and first expansion are on sale now if anyone wants to give it a whirl :)

Not much of a wallet threat at $5 which I’ll happily toss them for more content.

“Atlas of Discovery” catches my eye because it implies There Will Be Maps. Sure enough, it adds a new skill. Cartography. From the DLC description:

Who can resist a map? Wallet threat red!

Not me! But I don’t even know what this game is. Are we discussing it in another thread that I can peruse? Time to use that nice little magnifying glass icon!

Dokopon Kingdom: Connect is out today. This is an update of a Very Weird game for the Playstation 2 (and I think later Wii). It’s like Mario Party meets Dragon Quest? Maybe?

In the latter days of the PS2, my goal with my library was to collect all the most unusual games for that platform, and this was one of my prizes. Turned out, my kids–grade school age at the time–kind of became enamored of it. Or at least of the first hour or two that we played through, getting almost nowhere and losing terribly due to bad luck and ignorance of how the game actually worked.

I’m intensely curious to give it a try again and see if the appeal is real. Searching for it on Qt3, I see that @Mysterio played it once upon a time. This was not a revival I was ever expecting. The price is a bit much at launch, but one day I think I’ll just have to give this another whirl.

Yup! And I still own it on the Wii. I like it, but only ever played it with others (where it shines, IMO). So I can’t speak to the SP experience.

I’m that hardcore snob that thinks the Dokapon series lost its soul after Dokapon 3-2-1 on the SNES, but I also think despite its RPG element, it was a much weaker game than Itadaki Streets or Momotaro Dentetsu, and let’s not even mention the Culdcept series (which is cruelly missing from the Switch library, what is going on there!).
In multiplayer, Dokapon is a bit infuriating because of the crazy catchup mechanics, and it also takes so long to finish a game!

Speaking of which, on the Switch you can get regularly Billion Road for 3 bucks or something. This is the game the original Momotaro Dentetsu creator made, and he even got most of the team — which forced the Momotaro Dentetsu official game on the Switch to use and create new assets to distinguish itself, ha.

Billion Road is available in English, too, although it might be lost in machine translation since I haven’t heard anybody talk about it.

Considering that a lot of us are kind of obsessed with playing Starfield right now, including me, I was expecting the list of new releases this week to have multiple wallet threats like it does. The Crew Motorfest, set in Hawaii, will have a demo (I believe) so we’ll be able to see for ourselves if this is a good outing for the driving game. Gunbrella looks pretty fun from the trailers and looks like a legit wallet threat this week. Ad Infinitum looks like a very interesting horror experience. “Trapped between the walls of your family home and the trenches of World War I, you try to piece together your past and take back control of your life.” Isn’t that a great elevator pitch?

Any other wallet threats this week?

Monday (9/11/23):​

• Hauma - A Detective Noir Story (PC)
  • Humankind DLC - Cultures of Oceania (PC)

Tuesday (9/12/23):​

• Eternights (PC, PS5, PS4)
  • The Isle Tide Hotel (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Nour (PC, PS5, PS4)
  • MythForce (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Switch, PC)

Wednesday (9/13/23):​

• Heretic’s Fork (PC)
  • Super Bomberman R 2 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Gunbrella (Switch, PC)

Thursday (9/14/23):​

• Ad Infinitum (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • AK-xolotl (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Construction Simulator: SANY Pack DLC (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)
  • The Crew Motorfest (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)
  • Heavy Duty Challenge (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Sugar Shack (PC)
  • Inspector Gadget - Mad Time Party (PS4, PS5, Switch, PC)
  • Monster Hunter Now (IOS, Andriod)

Friday (9/15/23):​

• Baby Shark: Sing & Swim Party (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)
  • Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 HD Remaster (Switch)
  • Boti: Byteland Overclocked (PC)

Haven’t seen how Mythforce is progressing for a while. Always seemed like a neat idea, but not necessarily a great game. Probably better with friends?

Finally, BIYF!

This one is the biggest threat for me, though I’m also pretty apprehensive. My memory of it (1, I think) is that it was one of my absolute favourite Gamecube games, but since then a) I’ve massively fallen off JRPGs, and b) card battlers have evolved so much. I have a bad feeling I won’t enjoy it anywhere near as much now.

Yep, likewise.

Yes, really need a buddy or 2 to play with. I haven’t played in a few months either though. I’ll give it a solo play later this week to see how launch is.

Ironically, the next day, some Dynablaster game gets released for the first time since the last license theft.

One of the best BOMBER GAMES ever