Wallet Threat Level

Yeah, October is a big threat month, although Game Pass helps a bit. Spiderman is the big one for me, haven’t played an open world game for a while other than Zelda, though I will probably pick up SMB Wonder at some point assuming it reviews as well as it seems likely to.

I’m curious about this one, is it like a GTA game set in medieval England? Robin Hood running around getting five stars robbing random people, giving to other random people?

Ah crud, looking it up, it looks like Gangs of Sherwood has been delayed to November 2nd, so i’ll remove it from the list of this week’s releases.

To make up for it, here’s a gameplay trailer that came out today.

Holy crap, that’s even dumber and more awesome looking than I thought! Magical gems, steampunk artillery, and now Maid Marian is a deadly assassin! Not quite sure I’m ready to call this a wallet threat, but it’s definitely a wallet pique my interest.

Okay, that was…unexpected. Will keep an eye on that one.

For me, it’s Cyber Knights: Flashpoint this week (missed out on the Kickstarter, but I’m willing to toss a coin to the devs for the EA version) and Slay the Princess on Friday. I can('t) fix her!

Since I don’t have a switch or a PS5, those are the big two for me, particularly Cyber Knights because I know what to expect from the Trese Brothers. I loved Dungeon of the Endless, but Endless Dungeon had some balancing problems in the previews, so I’m more cautious, but I’ll probably get it at some point, maybe this week if it’s in a better place now.

EDIT: well, SEGA decided on a terrible regional pricing here in Brazil, so I guess I’ll wait for a sale in the case of Endless Dungeon.

One’s about saving the princess, one’s about slaying them. Very good.

Unfortunately this is an early access release

Yeah, but the Trese Brothers do Early Access right, and their games are supported for a long time.

They’re still regularly patching and adding content to Star Traders Frontiers, which is their previous game and came out in 2018.

I did enjoy Frontiers, and backed the Cyber Knights Kickstarter, but the Brothers themselves say there are 10-15 hours story content right now, and:

If you’re feeling like you want the full experience without eventually hitting the edge of what’s available, I would recommend waiting.

They are still occasionally adding content to Templar Battleforce, which was released… ten years ago? :O

I remember when Star Traders was in its infancy, it had readability issues in OS X with the fonts being tiny. I left somewhat of a pissed off comment on Steam, they said they would look into it but it wasn’t top priority. Two weeks later it was fixed.

Not top priority. Two weeks later.

Welcome back to 2023 in video games, where high profile games continue to come out. Like the latest Lords of the Rings game, which was delayed on consoles but the PC version comes out this week. And Cities Skylines 2, which according to Paradox, is not really really ready to their standards but coming out anyway on PC with the console versions delayed. Alan Wake 2 comes out this week, which apparently has truly scary PC specs, just in time for Halloween! The release of Ghostrunner 2 is here to remind me that I bought Ghostrunner near launch and I should play it now that the sequel is out! Also Mineko’s Night Market comes to Game Pass this week. Any other big releases for you this week?

Monday (10/23/23):​

• Three Minutes To Eight (PC)
  • Slay the Princess (PC)

Tuesday (10/24/23):​

• Cities Skylines 2 (PC)
  • Dark Envoy (PC)
  • The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria (PC)
  • Metal Gear Solid Master Collection: Volume 1 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Just Dance 2024 Edition (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)
  • Crymachina (PS4, PS5, Switch, PC)

Thursday (10/26/23):​

• Dave the Diver (Switch)
  • Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord (PSVR 2)
  • Ghostrunner 2 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Mineko’s Night Market (PS4/PS5, Xbox One)
  • Wizardry: The Five Ordeals (PC)

Friday (10/27/23):​

• Alan Wake 2 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
  • Bratz: Flaunt Your Fashion - Complete Edition (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO)
  • Hero Survival (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, XBO, Switch)

This is the big wallet threat for me this week. Tower of Time had some really neat ideas, and if Dark Envoy manages to fully realized the potential Tower of Time had, it might be a fantastic game. But I’ll wait for reviews…

Also Wizardry: The Five Ordeals, gets out of early access on the 26th, which means that the English localization is done?

I hope this comes to other consoles, looks like fun.

After being delayed for the weekend, the Princess can now be slain. (Please don’t.)
Also available for DRM-free murder on GOG.com.

Agreed! I loved Tower of Time… ended up putting 70 hours into it. I hope this new game is even better.

I’ve seen a couple of my YouTube streamers pop up with a first 30 minutes sort of video, and it seems to be getting pretty positive reviews (granted, these aren’t full reviews but if nothing else it starts strong).

Mortismal gaming will have a 100% review tomorrow or the day after, it seems:

I should have a review for Dark Envoy up either Tuesday or Wednesday though I couldn’t quite hit the embargo time for it (today 10/23) and an impressions video doesn’t make sense for how close that is to being done. After that I can turn my attention to finishing the last three playthroughs for the BG3 100% review since there will finally be a short break in new releases!

He’s a fan of what the devs tried to do with Tower of Time, so I’m looking forward to his review.