Wallet Threat Level

Very positive review from Eurogamer. “Recommended”.

I’m still waiting on reviews for Song of Iron. It’s gorgeous, but I’ve never found a 2D sidescrolling combat game whose gameplay I actually enjoyed. Unless you could Ori. Which I don’t, because I still consider that mostly a platformer, even though the second game has a lot of combat too.

Zach at Kotaku is busy this week. He promises the fuller longer list next week. @Equisilus’s wallet threat level is red, because Life Is Strange: True Colors (the remake of the original on new consoles) is due out this week. And some other interesting names here that are intriguing. Artful Escape looks really cool, coming to Game Pass so not a wallet threat. A new Tales game. A new Warioware game. Any standouts for you folks?

Monday, September 6

• Enchanted Path | Switch
  • Red Square Escape 2 | Switch

Tuesday, September 7

• Dream Cycle | PC
  • Sonic Colors: Ultimate | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC
  • F.I.S.T: Forged in Shadow Torch | PS5, PS4
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt | PC
  • Crown Trick | PS4, Xbox One
  • Bus Simulator | PS4, Xbox One, PC
  • Encased | PC

Wednesday, September 8

• Struggling | PS4, Xbox One

Thursday, September 9

• Hindsight 20/20: Wrath of the Raakshasa | PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac
  • BloodRayne Betrayal: Fresh Bites | PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch, PC
  • The Artful Escape | Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC
  • Ultra Age | PS4, Switch
  • Boulder Dash Deluxe | Xbox One, Switch, PC
  • The Touryst | PS5, PS4
  • Espgaluda II | Switch
  • Arboria | PC
  • Dice Legacy | PC

Friday, September 10

• Life is Strange: True Colors | PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC
  • From Earth To Heaven | Xbox One
  • NBA 2K22 | PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch, PC
  • Lost in Random | PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch, PC
  • Tales of Arise | PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC
  • A Day Without Me | PS4, Xbox ONe
  • WarioWare: Get It Together! | Switch
  • The Rewinder | PC

Probably be checking this one out

Immediate purchase for me.

Wikipedia says:

Espgaluda II is a bullet hell shoot’em up originally released by Cave in the arcades in 2005 as a sequel to Espgaluda. An Xbox 360 release, titled Espgaluda II Black Label, was released in 2010 in Japan.

I’ve already got the Xbox 360 version, but I’ll be buying it again on Switch.

The demo for the new WarioWare is really good. Adding dozens of unlockable characters with different ways of moving and interacting with the micro games is a natural next step for the series. As long as there’s enough substance to the game to make it feel like a full release, I’ll pick it up as soon as my budget allows.

True Colors is actually the next Life is Strange game with a new protagonist et al.

True. I think both are coming out. The port and the new entry.

They were going to come out simultaneously, but the remasters were recently delayed.

Thanks for this, added to my wishlist

I was very confused by this as I was thinking it was nowhere near 1.0, but then I realised I was thinking of The Bus. Curious to see how this compares but IIRC the previous one in this franchise didn’t review particularly well.

Easily my most anticipated game release of the year. Not a wallet threat, though, since I preordered a few months ago. ;)

I really enjoyed the trailer for this during E3. But that’s because the trailer was full of whimsy. The actual gameplay being based on dice rolls and such might not appeal to me very much.

Dice Legacy drops on Thursday. Straight to release–no EA–just like in the old days!

I’m intrigued by that one.

Dice Legacy looks interesting - I’ve seen a couple of YouTubes on it.

Tales of Arise I have never heard of but since a couple of you are raving about it, I might need to look into it.

Wow! Arboria aesthetics is giving me a bit of that Sacrifice vibe! Looks great!

It’s the new entry in a series of somewhat niche JRPGs that is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. I haven’t played most of the games in the series, but I played Tales of Zestiria (some serious pacing issues aside, it’s a great game) and Tales of Berseria (that I absolutely, absolutely loved), and mostly because of the latter I’m so excited about Tales of Arise.

There’s a demo for Tales of Arise (not available on PC, unfortunately) that should give you a rough idea of the gameplay. But it’s a series well known for story and characters too (or it wouldn’t be called “Tales of…”), so the demo only shows a very small part of the whole package. Still good to check if it’s something that might interest you, or, in my case, to help pass the time until the actual release. ;)

Oof, what that description doesn’t say is how the base game is one of the most brutal in the genre! Caught me quite off-guard.
The Arrange mode is much friendlier. I am scared to touch the Black variant.