WandaVision

They go by quickly, but there are some flashes of other sitcoms as well.

Scheduled for December, six episodes.

There was Powerless from DC. It was about a gadget-inventing company owned by Bruce Wayne. I wouldn’t recommend it, but it had some good moments. IIRC all the superhero stuff was just references.

That’s actually kinda disappointing. Damned streaming future and its tiny, tiny seasons.

Well, that’s the problem with all these cinematic universe shows. They can’t show the superheroes, because they need to pay the famous actors. So it all becomes set dressing for just another procedural or whatever, and if you don’t care about the universe qua universe, then they don’t have much to offer. I’m talking about a sitcom where there main characters are the Justice League or the Avengers, or more practically, say, Squirrel Girl and her pals.

Correct.

Instead of thinking of it as a tiny, tiny season, think of it as a story that is being told over three standard movies.
IMDB shows it to have 9 episodes but I am guessing that is wrong because several other sources list it as 6. So three movie story it is!

I see it as a welcome alignment with the British standard.

Two series and a Christmas Special! :)

I’m living in a neverending socially isolated hellscape where my sole lifeline of joy is binging TV series until 5AM and making myself all the milkshakes I could ever want. I need good shit to have more episodes :-D

I’m the opposite. While 6 does seem a tad short, every time I think about watching Legends of Tomorrow (I hear Constantine has been on there the last few seasons, and I liked the actor in his cut-short show) I see that they’re like 20+ episodes and I nope right the hell out. I ain’t got time for that nonsense, even just turning it on in the background.

TBF, I noped the fuck out of Legends of Tomorrow after something like 10 minutes because I possess cognition.

I did watch the first season- back when it was only 8 episodes or something. It was indeed crap. Everyone says it gets better (in a totally stupid, over-the-top way), but no way I need 60+ hours of that in my life.

Legends of Tomorrow is unironically the best DC TV show on CW by a considerable margin. The first season is dumb and bad, but as it went progressively more insane over the years, it’s utterly eclipsed everything else they’re doing.

Doesn’t take a lot of work at the grindstone to be the sharpest tool in that shed.

Flash 1 was very good, Arrow varied directly with the quality of the season’s primary villain and inversely with the level of focus on Lauren between godawful and cheesy-fun. Other’n that? Yikes.

My wife was watching the CW Stargirl, and from what I saw (and I happened to be rereading the James Robinson run of the Jack Knight Starman comics at the time) , it was pretty good! Golden Age themes and heroes brought up to today.

It really does. You wouldn’t need to watch every episode, I skipped like half of them.

There’s a reason they call all the DC shows the Beebo-Verse now.

Certainly some Bewitched, but also some Dick Van Dyke show, and a few other hints.

I much prefer the British model of short, focused seasons over the American model of drawn-out 22-episode seasons where they have to include a bunch of filler episodes just to reach an arbitrary season length. If you have six good scripts, make six episodes. If you have nine good scripts, make nine episodes. Let the content dictate the series length, not vice versa.

A general complaint people had about the Netflix Marvel shows was that they had too many episodes for too little plot, so, maybe they’re trying to avoid that…

Agreed. I’ve got way too much stuff to watch as it is, and I’d rather have something to the point and making the most of the time than padded out to meet broadcasting schedules.