Want to predict some Oscar winners?

Do you have guesses for the categories not covered in that article?

Nope, just those 16 categories. They’re based on the categories the books are offering action on, because that’s one metric we can use across multiple categories–sports, politics, entertainment–to track effectiveness and efficiency.

Makes sense. Going to use your picks for my ballot in our Oscar party, no money riding on it, but looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I’m really enjoying this year’s ceremony so far. It helps that they always put the jokes and interesting categories and awards up front. Now that we’ve had the monologue and Best Makeup, Best Costume Design, Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing, I think the only other award I usually look forward to is Best Visual Effects.

It’s also interesting that this is the first time in years that I haven’t seen any of these nominees. For example, the lady who won for Best Costume Design for Fantastic Beasts was completely surprised even though she’s won three times before. I hadn’t seen any of the movies in that category, but I loved their presentation during the show when the show snippets of nominees. The other one that really struck me was one of the winners for Best Sound Mixing, they said it was his 21st nomination and 1st win. Did I hear that right? Holy shit. That’s a lot of nominations before you get your first win.

Yeah, the costume design for Jackie was the odds-on favorite. What was interesting was that in one of our swarms to pick the awards, one of our participants pointed out that Jackie kind of WAS the costume designer for the movie based on her life, which sort of made that particular person go against it.

I wonder how many folks in the Academy felt the same way. Enough, perhaps.

Good lord, that tour bus gag was the textbook definition of cringeworthy.

10 out of 12 as we hit the final turn. Be nice to at least split the biggies here.

Oh my fucking God. I mean, Oh my fucking God.

Ok, that was unreal. Worth staying up for I guess.

Spoiler: The winner was Moonlight!

That was insane! I don’t even mind that it made us drop from 13 out of 16 to 12 out of 16.

Well, they made the right choice in the end.

That was incredible.

Holy crap. What just happened??

Steve Harvey, crying Jordan, La La Land won the electoral vote, fake news, etc.

So right now I’d put the odds at:

Elaborate massive staged conspiracy by the Academy: 1%

Beatty being so vain he won’t admit he can’t read without his glasses: 19%

Beatty pulling this because he thought it was some kind of clever meta-commentary on the election or fake news or something: 30%

Vladimir Putin’s tentacles are everywhere, comrade!: 50%

Beatty was clearly given the wrong envelope. Hard to blame him for this. He was out there vamping and trying to stall, I guess hoping someone would notice or say something.

Reports are that Beatty was handed the wrong envelope. He got the previous envelope with the Emma Stone card in it, which is why he delayed so long reading it out, because he couldn’t figure out why it said “Emma Stone” at the top.

He tried to get Faye to confirm if what he was seeing was right and Faye had no idea he had the wrong card, saw La La Land, and announced it. She thought he was giving her the honor of saying it.

How. The fuck. Is this that low tech.

Jesus. It’s not like the last votes trickle in until midnight.

-xtien

Too bad he or Faye didn’t read the whole card (including the award label on the bottom) so the correct envelope could’ve been brought out.

On the one hand, it’s a small mistake. On the other hand, it’s a very unfortunate distraction from Barry Jenkins and team when they should have been enjoying the moment and giving their speeches without this whole kerfuffle interfering.

Classy of the La La Land producer who said he’d be honored to hand over the award to the Moonlight team.