Want to predict some Oscar winners?

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/836083583630606336

“Here’s to the mess we maaaaade…” 🎼

I’m not entirely sure what happened. Did Warren Beatty just mis-read, be given the wrong result, or chose his own way? This was incredibly weird, since the point of the certification is to make sure the correct result is given to the presenters. And no, I don’t think Moonlight deserved an Oscar for the best rewards (but neither did La La Land).

— Alan

He was given the envelope for Best Actress somehow.

It’s not his fault.

Man, even if Warren had stopped short of letting the wrong movie be announced, he would’ve had to immediately and clearly show the envelope and card or conspiracy nuts and your relatives on Facebook would’ve never let this go. If he just said “I think this is the wrong envelope” and a correction was made without clearly showing the mistake on camera, people would have jumped all over this as it being rigged or something. There was like a less than 1% chance Beatty or anyone else in his position play this flawlessly in the pressure of the moment. This was a disaster as soon as the wrong envelope was in play, kudos to Beatty for giving it his best shot at salvaging it.

Yeah, any wishes that it went down differently are after-the-fact armchair quarterbacking. Nobody on stage deserves any blame. It’s just so unfortunate for everyone.

The one guy who kinda sucked was the La La Land producer in mid-speech who got interrupted and said something mildly sarcastic and petulant like, “Apparently we didn’t win.”

Casey Affleck’s speech sucked too.

Can you blame him? They’re literally taking the Oscar out of his hand.

I don’t blame him at all but I think he said something too revealing of his emotions in the moment. I know I’d regret it if it was me. I forget his actual quote. Am I even remembering it right?

I’ll have to watch a youtube of it. My impression was that they were mostly gracious about it, considering they just had a Best Picture Oscar yanked out of their hands. I’m not sure I would’ve reacted as gracefully.

The main producer was great. The “this is not a joke” and “it’ll be an honor” guy.

He also snatched the correct card out of Warren Beatty’s no-longer-trustworthy hands and said “MOONLIGHT. BEST PICTURE.” He represented them beautifully. Grace under pressure.

The mildly snide comment came from the dude who was in mid-speech when everyone stopped listening to him because headphone-guy was behind them and apparently something was UP.

Edit: Or was that the same guy?? I need to watch a replay. White Hollywood producers all look the same to me.

I thought he said something like “even though we didn’t win.” right at the end. About the same either way.

Sadly also lost in all that was a chance to remark upon and remember the 50th anniversary of one of the most important–if not the most important–movies ever made. So that sucked too.

Emma Stone = class act. Not a crack-whore in my book.

Classy of Warren too, first to explain the mistake publicly and then to find Barry like that. About as good as you can handle that mess, and better than I’ll be able to if I’m doing it at 80 years old.

Apparently there are two envelopes for each category, carried by both PWC accountants in each person’s locked briefcase. Someone…fucked up.

Looking over the Best Picture nominees list, I thought all of them were worthy this year. Admittedly, I haven’t seen Fences or Hacksaw Ridge, but I’ve seen all the rest and they were all excellent. I was pulling for Moonlight, Arrival or Manchester By The Sea to pull off the upset, and I’m glad one of those did, but any of them would’ve been acceptable. Lion and Hell Or High Water were terrific films as well.

La La Land was enjoyable, but it definitely would’ve felt like another Shakespeare In Love beating Saving Private Ryan to me.

Okay. You can’t just drop that and walk out. Come on, now.

-xtien