War for the Overworld (DK remake)

This was my first thought just now. I’m glad someone already said it … (checks date)… 5.5 years ago. Wow. It’s a remake of Donkey Kong from over 5 years ago!

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Time to reinstall it. Be quiet Battletech! I am NOT leaving you.

Is this the best supported game out there that isn’t named Factorio? That is a crazy patch list, and I don’t think the game was in any way broken before.

I’m sure there are plenty we’re not aware of but War for the Overworld deserved that Steam award for labour of love or whatever it was called. The game took a beating at release because they had to ship it or fold, and since then they’ve done nothing but support it. They could have stopped years ago but their drive to leave it in as good a state as possible (SP/MP longevity, user created sustainability, performance, stability, balance) before moving on is pretty damn amazing. I totally didn’t expect this degree of commitment when I bought it at launch. Tremendous stuff.

It’s on sale right now but your comment makes me want to pay full price for it…

LOL I went to buy the game after seeing this and it’s already in my library. I’ve been wanting a true DK remake for years so I must have put playing it off due to initial reception.

Same here. How the hell did that happen?

It was in humble monthly bundle, which is where I got it.

This is a good DK remake:

So, anyone who has this game… does it have speed controls? [I like to play my real-time games super slow.] There was talk in 2015 of the final version of the game having it, but I don’t see much current info.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure there’s a slider! Will check and get back to you.

Yes there is.

That’s a very emotional thank you!

It appears you can half the speed of the game:

I’m touched. But that’s pretty obvious.

Sort of unrelated, but this is what annoyed me about the past 3-4 Total War games: the inability to slow down the real-time tactical combat. The games have such excellent graphics and the warfare happens so fast that I could never watch and enjoy them. Pet peeve, I guess.

Thanks!

I played this shortly after it launched. Had the main campaign been revised? There was one mission I could never finish, it was one of those odd ones. A bunch of knights were going from one portal to another and you had to stop them. They were not interested in attacking your base. I tried that like 5 times and game up.

What has changed, in general, since then? I heard there was some major patch or something that changed a lot.

If they haven’t already, I hope they fix it soon! ;-)

I’m just poking fun at you, but on a more serious note I stand by what I said a couple of years ago in relation to this. Did you ever try the Blood Money strategy?

My biggest issue with the campaign in War for the Overworld, back when I first played it, is that so much is introduced without ever being explained (I don’t think tooltips were working then either so I dare say they help a lot, in addition to the better tutorials). But the campaign is a perfect place to give you scenarios that show you the utility of spells, structures, abilities, creatures and so on so that you can use them effectively later.

The level you hate is perhaps the only one I recall where a certain spell is instrumental in your success. What makes it such a cool level to me is that you can try and crack it with a sledgehammer (and possibly succeed!) or take a step back and think your way around the problem by looking at what you need and what’s available to you. “I need more gold for more defences, but there’s limited gold… Hmm, what’s this ‘Blood Money’ spell…?”

They may very well have tweaked it since and given the player more pointers or other ways to crack it, but I appreciated the hands-off discovery and learning approach.

Is the DLC required or recommended to get this game into the good shape I’m hearing it is in now?

Nope. Base game is fine.