War for the Overworld (DK remake)

It’s currently $18 on Steam. What is the state of the game? Is it fully cooked and worth getting?

I finished it around launch and while first impressions were very good, it was a bit wobbly with niggling bugs and glitches, missing information and awkward scripted bits holding events together. Performance also started to tank as levels wore on with more and more beasties inhabiting your dungeon. I only suffered one or two crashes in 20 hours of play though which I don’t think is too bad given the game’s clearly premature release.

However, since launch they’ve released 26 patches, the latest of which (1.1) went live last week and was bloody huge and featured several additions. Actually, they’ve released another two since then so that’s 28 patches. The game is in a much better state now and I’ve no reason to believe it won’t continue to improve. I keep meaning to give the skirmish mode a whirl now I’m more familiar with the game, and with the various kinks ironed out. Feedback seems very positive since the 1.1 patch.

A friend and I had a relatively detailed and lengthy chat about WFTO a couple of months ago, him from more of a DK2 background and me from DK1. We’re generally very positive about it, but with a few caveats. It’s worth a read as trying to distil our collective thoughts won’t really help if you care about specifics!

The question is, is it worth the $18 to buy it as it stands right now?

You can always get a refund if you don’t find it so.

I’d rather not ask for any more refunds for a while, lest I get flagged for abuse. I’ve got about $60 sitting in my wallet from refunds on games I bought months ago.

The way my purchases work, I’d have to put in a request like this : “Hey, I know I’ve owned this game 9 months, but I finally installed it and I don’t like it. Can I get a refund?”

I wonder how many refund requests Steam gets like that.

I will not be playing this right away, let alone in 24 hours, so no. Id buy it and sit on it for a few months, if not longer and get to it eventually.

Just one question - do you still have to pull items into the craft menu even when the recipe is known, or did they finally add a one touch build convenience? I still can’t figure out why they insisted on having you do it that way.

I have no idea what you’re talking about mok. Crafting? Recipes? Wrong thread perhaps?

DeepT, I couldn’t possibly say whether WFTO is worth someone’s $18. It was worth my £20 and I haven’t touched the skirmish, survival or multiplayer modes yet.

Have the slowed the pace down in the campaign at all? I had picked it up at launch and the fast pace really wore me out! I still have it installed, will probably take an other look this weekend.

I doubt it, though I’ve got to say, I didn’t find most of the levels nearly as trying as the likes of Nevergrim or Tickle on DK1, and you don’t have to go as fast as the game may lead you to believe.

At various points I was able to slow the expansion of my domain by putting down worker impasse flags and locked doors, then amassing and carefully organising my forces and defences ready for when I decide to start pushing out.

The only real issue with the game that I don’t think they’ll be able to fix at this stage is how the campaign doesn’t do an especially good job of showing you the utility of certain rooms, creatures, potions, constructs, rituals, spells, defences and other features like warbands and worker rally flags. There’s a lot of stuff that is probably really useful but it’s never made clear why, or how that stuff should or could be used exactly. Perhaps discovering is half the fun here? I dunno.

What kind of MP does this have? Is it limited to head to head skirmish or is there any sort of co-op?

Is the skirmish AI any good?

There is co-op vs AI. No idea on the skirmish AI.

Yeah, too early for the brain Thought i was in craft the world

It sounded like a fair criticism though! ;-)

Has anyone played this with the new 1.1 patch? Seems like they reworked a lot of things that people complained about upthread.

I hadn’t tried this yet. When I heard it was buggy at release, I decided to wait for things to get straightened out and perhaps a sale. With the Steam sale going on I decided to take the plunge and, while I’m not far at all into the game yet, I’m enjoying it quite a bit. Definitely brings back that Dungeon Keeper vibe.

It appears that the game is still receiving updates and support from the Devs. The last (minor) update was October 30th and it had this accompanying comment regarding future development:

…this is what you can expect for free in the coming months:

[ul]
[li]The Map Editor in Patch 1.3
[/li]> [li]Multiplayer Mutators
[/li]> [li]Enhanced Survival Mode
[/li]> [li]New aspects (Rituals, spells, units etc.) for Multiplayer/Skirmish/Survival/Sandbox modes, including the non-campaign specific ones from the upcoming Heart of Gold expansion
[/li]> [li]and hopefully more!
[/li]> [/ul]

If you’re wondering what paid content is coming or on the agenda:

[ul]
[li]Heart of Gold expansion - Adding new fully VOd campaign levels and expanding the story of WFTO, free for Early Adopters[wftogame.com]
[/li]> [li]Likely a few more worker skins, some of which will donate proceeds to charity
[/li]> [li]A few other things which will donate to charity
[/li]> [/ul]

Yeah it’s a great game that really scratches that DK itch, it was just a bit rough on release. They’re still going strong patching and adding to it which is reassuring. It’s been on my hard drive since I finished it back when it launched but I haven’t really had time to play more either. I’m hoping my friend will fancy some multiplayer on it when he gets round to starting it. Failing that, the survival and skirmish mode I’d like to have a crack at.

I am considering this while it is on sale. Does someone have an update?