War for the Planet of the Apes - Hairy Gollum versus Larry Flynt

This is because it mirrors the ending of the original novel, with the Eiffel tower. I like(d) the novel a lot (but not this particular adaptation). The ending made more sense because it was not set on Earth.

I’m home sick today, so I’ma watch both of these! Yay!

While I agree that the American version of Let the Right One in was both superfluous and inferior (and actually damaged the story with some of its changes), Matt Reeves is, of course, also the legendary director of one of the best movies of the past 20 years, Cloverfield. And Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was also very good.

New trailer:

That is an amazing trailer. Wow.

Two movies in, and I’ve honestly been quite pleased with this Planet of the Apes reboot, so I’m down.

Mind blown. Thanks for the summary. I loved the TV series as a kid but I’ve never seen these original apes movies. At first I thought you were making a joke. But they are REAL.

Unfortunately not all available on Netflix. Streaming rental available on Amazon, but not free on Prime. There are disk collections that include the whole legacy set and also some that include the original set plus the newer films.

The original planet of the apes movies are some of the greatest science fiction movies ever made, no joke.

Charlton Heston was actually in a bunch of awesome sci-fi movies during that period. The Omega man and Soylent Green are great.

I remember when I first saw them, I was too young to appreciate them. I just saw the cheesy rubber masks, the poor special effects, and I just didn’t get why they were considered great.

It wasn’t until I got into high school/ college that I got it. I got home one night from work, and happened to catch the first one just starting on TBS, or something. They were doing a marathon. I watched them while I ate, more out of curiosity than intent. By the time I finished eating, it clicked. All the social commentary, all the purpose, I suddenly got, and I was hooked. It was then I really understood how science fiction could be used to tell stories about our world.

They hold up because the story has something to say, something that cheesy dialogue, or cheap sets, or rubber masks that look absurd by today’s standards, can’t take away. It’s why changing the genesis of Cesar to genetic experimentation makes all the sense in the world, as that says something about our world today, the way that nuclear weapons, MAD, and racial prejudice and segregation did for the original in the 60’s.

I stayed up until 2 am that night, watching the first 4 movies.

In reality, the original planet of the apes don’t have cheap rubber masks. Considering the time period they were made, the makeup is amazingly well done. The characters are able to express themselves very well, although a big part of this is due to the quality of the actors.

But seriously, in addition to winning an academy award for the costume design, John Chambers won an honorary academy award specifically for his makeup design in that movie.

Oh I’m not going to say they weren’t. That is more of a reflection on how my 12 year old just seen Star Wars self viewed them. I was better able to appreciate them when I was older.

They were very good for the time, but i needed to be older to understand the technology of the time to appreciate them.

So is Andy Serkis still playing Caesar in this upcoming one? I liked the last couple of this series.

Yes he is. I went to see this today and it was quite good. There is an interesting reveal on Caesar’s story at the end which ties all 3 movies together quite well.

That is great to hear. Speaking of Serkis, please everyone watch him on Colbert reading a Trump Tweet as Gollum, it’s hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mWOoj68qo
The segment starts about at the 3:45 mark IIRC.

Your loss. Saw this last night. Good flick.

Saw this yesterday. Went in with no expectations and found it highly entertaining. My favorite “Summer Blockbuster” so far.

I found the continuity issues with it just too distracting, and they got increasingly worse as the film went forward to where I found the ending kind of laughable. I felt the previous ones of this current strain were better.

But the CGI is really nice. There is great potential there. Greying out Caesar is a nice touch as well.

My favorite movie of the year so far. If it wasn’t for the comic relief monkey, it might have been too intense to actually get through.

But to the guy in seat G15 - for the LOVE OF GOD FIND A SHOWER.

It was close to sold-out, and we started to leave 10min in because of the offensive BO of the guy next to us. We luckily found open seats just before exiting.

I really enjoyed this movie. I am not sure what I was expecting but this was a lot deeper, a lot more disturbing and a lot more thought provoking than I expected. Also, not as much War in it either. I twas good though, well done.

I’m only about halfway in and this is goddamn great.

Plus, the CGI is not distracting in the slightest – it’s barely even noticeable. That’s incredible.