War in the East: break down, go ahead and give it to me

Title War in the East: break down, go ahead and give it to me
Author Bruce Geryk
Posted in Game diaries
When December 31, 2012

I'm not quite sure exactly what it is about wargames that befuddles people. Something about NATO symbology* which translates armored units into rectangles with ovals in them. Or hexagons. I know some people don't like hexagons..

Read the full article

Well I mean, if warfare were easy everyone would do it.

Bruce, fantastic as always! Happy New Year!

"Instead, a new turn starts with all the Soviet troops in the pocket out of supply. All will surrender during this turn."

Congrats on pocketing these guys, Bruce! Happy New Year!

Tanks should be dodecahedrons >:(

MS Paint always makes it easier to follow along. And I just noticed you labelled the Oskol River in the last image. For a moment there in the Glantz paragraph, I had the shakes I usually get from trying to follow text-based military history with bad maps that don't label everything!

That might be one of my favorite lines in a Geryk write-up: "All will surrender during this turn." Partly because I can imagine the look on Geryk's face when he writes it.

Bruce your excellent diaries inspired me to try my first wargame: Unity of Command. I bounced off the introductory scenario. It seems like an elaborate traffic jam simulator. I spend most of my time thinking about how to shuffle my units so they don't get in each others way, That doesn't really evoke warfare in my mind. Back to Company of Heroes, but I'll still keep reading your articles.:)

Well, here I am, reading this years later and it’s still as great as ever. One point: When you break down a Panzer division, it’s not really breaking down to 3 “regiments” per se. Those are 3 “regimental-sized Kampfgruppen”. Which is exactly how the Wehrmacht did things (example: The 3 rather famous regimental Kampfgruppen of Pz Div 21 at Normandy). Those do not correspond with the actual regiments that organizationally made up the division. Instead, they were combined-arms formations. Exactly how WITE does it.

Since this is bumped, may I express my despair at WitE 2 still missing the other player’s turn replay if you do PBEM (you still need to read text logs Ethan describe what happened)?

This is,baffling. This game is perfect for a long, intensive PBEM campaign, yet without being able to see your opponents moves you are deprived of having a decent understanding on how things were achieved. It basically makes it unplayable for me.

This was the only feature I really wanted for the sequel… oh well…

There is a War in the East 2? I’m totally out of the loop!

aporopos

It’s in development (relatively advanced it seems) but the devs have gone on record about no turn replay.

Plus the map in WITE2 will be created the same way as the WITW map, so say goodbye to all of the great map mods from 1.