War in the East: the rout report

Title War in the East: the rout report
Author Bruce Geryk
Posted in Game diaries
When March 21, 2011

The biggest obstacle to playing a wargame for people who haven't played wargames is understanding what the game expects of you. Yeah, you need to capture Moscow or whatever, but the whole in-between part is so opaque I think people just don't even bother..

Read the full article

your explanation reminds me of Armchair General's Classic Barbarossa Thread on the invasion of russia. Probably the greatest discussion of the invasion I have ever read(lots of Glantz and others). Good stuff!

your explanation reminds me of Armchair General's Classic Barbarossa Thread on the invasion of russia. Probably the greatest discussion of the invasion I have ever read(lots of Glantz and others). Good stuff!

Please keep these coming Bruce, like a lot of people I could never play one of these games, but your AAR's are so deeply informative it makes those little chits up there look like armor columns.

This is really getting my appetite up for wargames again. A long time ago I went from Warcraft to Fantasy General to People's General; I confidently bought TOAW 2 but couldn't really grok the first scenario. Any suggestions for a good stepping stone in between?

Anonymous: the thing that is missing in your progression, I think, is something that helps you assimilate the basic conventions of hex wargaming. There used to be a series published by Shrapnel Games called the Combat Command series, which was a straightforward hex-and-counter game. Unfortunately it went out of print. However, just the other day I got a press release that it has been republished by Matrix Games.

http://www.matrixgames.com/pro...

It's a tactical game, but it keep all the conventions of hex wargaming, so that when games like War in the East and TOAW start complicating the mechanics, you'll have an instinctive understanding of the underlying assumptions.

I'm interested in this. However, I spent a lot of money on War in the Pacific (why are these games so damned expensive??) that turned out to be wasted, as I quite simply cannot figure that game out. Like, at all.

Thanks Brooski, I'll try it out!