Warcraft 3 Reforged - HD remake

Stop giving them ideas, man!

I said too much

This is a contradiction for you only because your definition of private property is a wooly one. Blizzard is treating their game engine as a capital asset, and the nature of computers and the legal environment permits them to do so. The fact that your piano and typewriter examples don’t hold is a matter only of legal precedence, not kind. Be assured if the typewriter and piano manufacturers had seen a way to do so and profit in it, they would have asserted similar control.

Hate the game? Reportedly, there’s an automated refund available now. Apparently remorseful buyers are having success with it.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/war3r/1563/1628/solution

Is there any way to download and install the original pre-Reforged installers?

Nope. You’ll need the Battle.net app and there doesn’t seem to be a way to just download the old setup executables.

I went thru https://gaming-tools.com/warcraft-3/ and the last installers from 2018 even defer to the Warforged copy too.

Wonder if my old CDs would work, or if it would get upgraded when I connect?

They work, but if you connect to the official servers, your game will need to update.

Basically, Blizzard screwed everyone on this.

I didn’t really intend to refund it, though I am still bitter about the UI - it’s one of the features I was really excited about. Also, I haven’t played it since I beat the human campaign late last week. I figured I’d try this link out, and further assumed they would reject the refund request, but at least I could write up how frustrated I was with the missing features (such as the new UI) and other issues people are having (er, not really me per se, but I can see the issues and acknowledge they are worth talking about - especially since this thread got me looking at the Age of Empires 2 DE which does, indeed, look fabulous). So I used this link you provided (thanks for this, by the way) and did just that - I selected the “it’s not what I was told this would be” equivalent (I forget the exact language) and requested a refund.

It was refunded immediately. I uninstalled the game and now it wants me to Buy Now so the license was revoked instantly, the refund should be on my card in the next few days. So Blizzard at least made good on this, so I’ll reciprocate - if they eventually update this to be something people like again, and it has the UI updates I was hoping to see, I may pick it up eventually and keep working through the campaign. Time will tell.

I think I’ll use part of the refund to pick up Age of Empires 2 DE.

From the sound of Reforged, I do think your money would be much better spent on AOE2:DE. It’s clear that Microsoft sunk some significant resources into that. I’ve been really impressed with what they did with a 20 year old game.

More than anything, I could watch the building-collapsing animations all damned day.

You definitely get a lot for your $20 (or $15 if you have HD).

Although it’s weird that the cloth covers shatter and fall like marble.

You mean these?

I don’t believe they are cloth - they act like tiles (they even slide a little, and seem to have “weight”).

No. The cloth overhead sun-covers that extend from the edge into the arena.

Oh, these?

Yeah, those don’t behave like cloth, but I can’t imagine what else they would have made that with. Clay? Seems unlikely. Still, it’s a better animation/model than I could have done, so I’m not one to poke fun.

Animating those things properly would be a huge pain, and you can’t use physx for them – it’s just way too many little entities.

And no dust? WTF?

Literally unplayable.

I used the link and got an automatic refund too. Woot!