Warcraft III

I think my team lapsed into obscurity when my teammate last his net a couple of weeks ago (Loarderon). Even there, we found a lot of varying strategies. In one particular map we just go for the imbalanced creep camp at the first opportunity and come away with a T3 unit.

Also, hero harass depends a lot on the type of hero you get. To be perfectly honest it’s been very rare, in my experience.

This, from what I’ve seen, depends on the hero you get rather than be a widespread practice.

I know which map you’re talking about. I can’t remember the name of it, but I know which one you’re talking about. The Razormane Shaman with the healing totems, right?

Yeah, we used to Thumbs-Down that map.

Dawwh.

As of late, though, that strategy wasn’t working too well.

Wait… there are still people playing WC3 on Battlenet? Seriously?

Holy crap. The user base was getting a leetle too L33T for me a couple years ago. I can only imagine what the games are like now. The ability to click at supersonic speeds must be a basic requirement nowadays.

Replacing my optical mouse every time I sonic-boom it is getting mite annoying, yes.

One of the strange things about WCIII is the fact that there IS a hard limit people reach. I dropped out of Battlenet after I took up WoW, but I was able to get back to pretty much where I used to be (nowhere special) before I left.

What HAS changed are the predominant strategies.

I swear, they could invent a helmet that allowed people to play RTS games by simply thinking about the commands they wanted to issue, and people would bitch about how unfair it is that you have to have the ability to think at supersonic speed to compete.

In a game like this, if you can mentally stay on top of things, you’ll find that dexterity is less important than you’d think.

And WCIII still has the largest online playerbase of any RTS game by a long shot.

Hundreds of thousands of folks at any given time.

Though, to be fair, many of those folks are playing DotA.

There are still plenty of bad to mediocre players left. I also think that WC3 is very forgiving in terms of how much micro is required from the player. As long as you can focus fire, retreat units now and then, and use your hero’s abilities properly, you’re FINE.

I was never a great micromanager (I was bad at Starcraft), and my AT was in the top 3 on the USEast ladder a few months after the expansion came out. Strategy counts for a lot.

Especially at the lower levels and in arranged team play, a sufficiently crafty strategy can get you a fair amount of success with minimal micro.

Yeah, but at least in 1v1 the game becomes more and more about dancing your units around and constantly readjusting your focus fire.

Anyway, to the original poster I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Learn the weapon and armor armor chart
  2. Learn the units and their various armor types
  3. based upon 1&2 prioritize your targets based upon what will give you the best DPS.
  4. Build a lot of units that do pierce damage. It is not called piercecraft for nothing. They are availiable early, they are generally ranged, and they do well against most armor types.
  5. try to retreat units that are getting damaged and/or focus fired.