Warframe: silly named F2P coop TPS

Better, more original, more imaginative art design and lore concepts? Dunno, but while Destiny looks fantastic and I’m sure plays great, the clips just make my brain snooze from the point of view of virtual worldiness.

Hmm… maybe things change a lot deeper into the game than I ever got. All I saw were the same template rooms assembled in different variations and it feels like the same 2-3 enemies over and over and over again.

As for ‘original’, I suppose so, but the story/setting never reached out and grabbed me. I’m more into game for narrative than gameplay, but for my dollar, Warframe’s story/setting/art certainly didn’t impress (while Destiny struck me as flat-out horrible.)

Maybe I just haven’t played deep enough into Warframe? I’ve probably played 20 missions or so over the last year. Does it get better and/or more diverse deeper in?

Enemy diversity opens up very rapidly when they’re level 11+
And different planets have different tilesets, the opening one is one of the least interesting.

Heck, have you fought infested yet?

Yea, 20 missions I’d probably put as the equivalent of getting to level 5 in a typical MMO, in terms of variety and exposure. You’ve got a different tileset for each planet (mostly), Orokin voids, derelicts, and soon to be space combat.

There are around 250-260 missions to complete spread across the solar system, then you have Tier 1-4 of 4 different Tower(Void) missions and then you have the same for Orokin Derelict + Assasination and then there are the ‘event’ missions, as well as the various planet-boss-fights and “Mark” encounters (3 different) + Van Hek.

So – there is a lot more to do than 20 missions which basically means the first 2-3 planets or so, depending on how you’ve done it.

Not to mention at ‘endgame’ it is basically a “gear-grind” (for Mods). I’m at around 350 hours played now and still a lot more to do, dont have all the Codex, missing a few planets, need to upgrade a bunch of mods, have to craft the new gear the latest patches have introduced, level it up, get more forma, get catalysts, reach 30 on the weapons, forma them, reach 30 again, forma them again, reach 30 again and put all the nice mods I have – upgrade those. Get more mods to upgrade more, etc etc.

Then you have the whole solar ray PvP Clan war aspect of it, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Digital Extremes has been bought by Multi Dynamic Games Group Inc.

“We are thrilled with the potential to work with partners who share our philosophy on the future of gaming,” James Schmalz, chief executive of Digital Extremes, said in a statement.

“Multi Dynamic Games Group Inc. (a subsidiary of Sumpo Food Holdings Limited) and Perfect Online Holding Limited (a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd.) entered into an acquisition agreement with the shareholders of Digital Extremes Ltd. to acquire 61% of the entire issued share capital of the Company.”

PWE. Right.

The contract, which is linked at the WF forums, doesn’t look too bad. Sumpo’s shares carry no voting rights, at least.

But still … PWE … even as “advisors” … ptooo

As somone said on the forums - “first lockbox I see, I’m outta here” :)

Not true, gurugeorge, they have both voting and non-voting stock (the Multi-whatever company IS Sumpo) if you read down one picture.
PW is basically the advisor there cos Sumpo don’t get games, they’re just diversifying.

And well, at least they have chicken.

Update 15 dropped last Friday, which brings Archwings and anime-style space combat to the game. In addition, it added over 70 new mods as well as Syndicates, which are sub-factions which you can align yourself with to earn various rewards. The mod rewards given out by Syndicates affect specific weapons or abilities. One mod gives each Bolto projectile a chance to explode. Another makes it so Ember (the fire themed Warframe) can cast Fireball on allies in order to grant them fire damage to their attacks.

Along with the above is the addition of a new warframe, Limbo, which is focused around dimensional abilities, as well as a few new weapons added to the game. All in all, it’s an expansion-sized update to the game. Quite possibly the biggest yet.

My archwing finally finished crafting late last night, so I only had enough time to run a couple of missions.

[ul]
[li]The screen-shaking is way overdone, especially while boosting (the space analogue to sprinting).
[/li][li]
[/li][li]There are no ammo drops; the gun regenerates ammo quickly while not firing, so ammo scarcity is a non-issue.
[/li][li]
[/li][li]Melee is better than I thought it would be. The archwing lunges forward towards the enemy. and I think there’s an aim assist. Seemed anime-like, and very effective.
[/li][li]
[/li][li]The archwing picks up the frame’s stats for shields, health, armor, and energy. It also has its own set of mods, as do the weapons.
[/li][li]
[/li][/ul]
There’s a bit of a learning curve, bit I really liked it. I’d be playing right now if I weren’t doing the daily missions in Marvel Heroes, which is what I played all weekend while my archwing was crafting.

Archwing is buggy as ****.

I cannot over-emphasise that. I’m yet to manage to finish an intercept mission - the Corpus “trench” missions are functional, but boring.

Weird, what issues are you running into with Intercept? I haven’t run into any bugs so far and I’ve run that mission type quite a bit!

EDIT: I’m not doubting about the bugs, I’m just curious how I’ve been lucky enough to avoid them thus far.

Dropped connections (it seems to be on the void setting, i.e. no migration), people getting stuck, 10x normal enemy spawns, invisible enemies in deep space (you can get the ones in rocks with AoE, but…), progression meters not working…

the screen shaking was insane.
Liked the rest of the update however.
Shame I picked a faction before realizing which updates it gave… but, oh well. Can always grind one of the others afterwards =)

Hubs were added with the last patch, but I didn’t see any mention in the patch notes. Go to Venus and look for the Vesper Relay node. Use solo mode or it may not work. It’s still a work in progress apparently; right now there’s really nothing to do but look around. Looks really neat though.

You need to be a founder or rank 15+ to use it atm.

And it tends to be an endless load if too many people are there - really beta!

I know people on this forum really take a strong disliking to F2P and I can understand the desire to “Buy once, never buy again”, but Warframe is a great example of what F2P can offer over a traditional one-and-done $50-$60 box sale. This game has seen a staggering amount of development since it released, equal to a few expansions (something that doesn’t happen for PVE shooters anyway, really), and that’s really only possible with a recurring revenue stream.

It has been. I’m seeing some…worrying trends following their purchase by Sumpo/PW. I’m not willing to cry doom yet, or even stop playing, but I do hope they sort i.e. grinding for non-tradeable AW parts with sub-5% drop rates out.

Warframe is probably one of the best F2P games there is. Sure, you can buy shit, but you can also just kill stuff and craft stuff. I’ve done a bit of both.