Warframe: silly named F2P coop TPS

Now with Steam Workshop!

Starting today we’re opening submissions for our first items in the Workshop – weapon skins. Submit in your designs and you could see them for sale in the Warframe Market! This isn’t just for bragging rights, you’ll also receive 30% of the sales received from your item!

I’ve been getting back into this on the Xbone the last month or so. Finally actually paid DE for the game- bought $20 worth of plat when I restarted (mostly for more frame slots), and was angry that they didn’t really advertise the September sale. I stopped playing that month as I’d been back into The Taken King, and so missed out on it. To make up for it, I bought some more during the sale over this last weekend.

I’m still annoyed at some of the in-game obscurity behind the mechanics/rewards, but wiki is helping figure it out. I finally got my kubrow last week, ‘rei’, a little stealth breed. That’s fun. I also started my own clan and started construction of my own dojo (spent some plat on a few Forma). Now I’m finally learning why you want to do the war missions for stuff like Fieldron and Dentonite Injectors- I didn’t grok the difference between them and their ‘lesser’ versions until I started pursuing research projects.

At this point, my favorite frame is Valkyr- I hated her when I first unlocked her, but maybe she just took time to grow on me, maybe it was the last patch, but she’s an absolute beast now when she triggers her top-level ability. I can solo a mid-high level survival mode almost indefinitely, as long as the air supply keeps up. Good times.

This game has just gotten so much more fun for me than Destiny, while being really similar in a lot of ways. There’s no story to speak of, but that’s fine. The variety comes from all the different classes, powers, weapons, mission types, etc. Kind of slow to get to that variety in the beginning, but once you do, it’s really great.

They seem to be adding story a bit by bit. And certainly find their maps a lot more interesting than Destinys. The little randomness each time you do a Vault is something, instead of always having the same map tile-set in Destiny.

They could still do with some better matchmaking for Vaults + Raids though, just like Destiny could :)

Oh yea; I hate the valkyr :-) Been using Saryn lately, seems decent but I think I’ll go back to Banshee once I’ve finished formaing it now. And since they’ve introduced so many new warframes I am now lacking 4, considering buying the latest Prime one just to not have to grind that one as well :)

Nooo, don’t spend plat on forma. Just run Void missions, or more specifically hang out in the recruiting channel (does the Xbone version have a recruiting channel?) and leech off of other players’ Void keys. You’ll be up to your eyeballs in forma blueprints.

Banshee looks fun- she’s half the reason I started building the dojo. I’ve had her blueprint (2 copies!) for ever via login rewards, but to get the part BPs, you have to research them. So, clan it is. Perhaps if I can ever get my brothers into the game they can join, heh. Or heck, any Qt3 folks want to join clan Howling Wolf on the Xbone, let me know (GT: Don Quixote).

As for the dojo, I already had a couple forma lying around (probably alert rewards), and I think I only bought two, to get me going on the tenno lab. I did try to get them via Void missions, but the RNG gods were against me. I even did two solo runs in T3 Sabotage, getting all the caches- one of those got me 2 Rhino Prime Systems BPs at the same time. Gee. Thanks.

But yeah, I agree about the random levels. I like Destiny’s approach, too, I just wish they married it with something other than the same missions, with the same waypoints and the same dialogue over and over and over. Procedural mission generation would do wonders for that game.

She’s going to be well worth the wait - although as with other frames, the early experience doesn’t always give you a good idea of what the mature experience will be like, as you discovered with Valkyr.

Banshee has several quite distinct and viable playstyles, depending on whether you build around Sonar (usually with the Resonance augment), Silence (high Duration and Power Strength) or Soundquake (high Efficiency, Range and Power Strength); and now there’s also the possibility of building around Sonic Boom with the augment.

Just be aware, she’s one of the squishiest squishies in the game, her survivability depends almost totally on timing her CC adroitly.

Warframe is all about getting the right mods in and getting them ranked up. All the things work best with a potato and at least 2-3 forma in them.

Still one of the best games around.

And even if you get bored with it, it’s updated regularly enough that you can have new things to do when you come back - and the gameplay’s easy enough that you can pick it up where you left off (unlike, e.g., an MMO proper, that has 9 billion buttons).

Yea. Seems that each time I take a break (say 2 months to play Destiny) I return and they’ve added a water level, a new raid, 2 new warframes, a bunch of new weapons, tweaked game modes and whatnot.

It is really a bit amazing all the updates they cram into the F2P Game, when you compare it to full price games. In addition to them doing 4-5 podcasts a week with contests, feedback and new content.

I started a solo clan myself when I first started playing, but a year or so ago I joined a clan with around 10-20 active people at any time I play, we got pretty much everything unlocked so if you want to join us instead of building your own kingdom feel free :) I think I started playing the game a lot more after I joined a clan. Think I’m around 900 hours played now.

The first year I played I think I was just doing Nekros + Loki, but I have since ‘diversified my portfolio’. As Guru mentions, Banshee has a lot of different playstyles to have fun with, and is a bit squishy. Depending on the rest of your team, she may not always be the best frame to use.

Say, a defense mission when you do not have a FROST – I would probably play my frost then, just to make the encounter more manageable. But there are many ways to “CC” and do the objective, so it should be good.

Hoping we get more Quests/Storyline in Warframe soon. I like the little quest-story-archs they’ve done so far. And adding some of the warframe unlocks to their own storyline was nice.

And soon we should be getting a new Star Map, which I am looking forward to :)

900 hours. Wow. Unchecked, and I think I’m at 3 days and change (so, around 80 hours). I can’t imagine 11 times that, hah. It is fun, though.

I also can’t imagine forma-ing a frame 2 or more times. That means ranking it up to 30 and starting over, right? Um. No. Though, I think my Valkyr might be pretty maxed, but I’m probably using some non-optimal/necessary mods in there. Getting some of those things to max level seems absurdly expensive, both in terms of money and mods to fold in. Any tips for that?

And to back up a bit, anyone got any tips for ranking up new frames/gear? I think the biggest block I’m running into is the desire to unlock new areas/planets and the desire to level new equipment- they’re kind of mutually exclusive. :\

900 hours. Wow. I just checked, and I think I’m at 3 days and change (so, around 80 hours). I can’t imagine 11 times that, hah. It is fun, though.

I also can’t imagine forma-ing a frame 2 or more times. That means ranking it up to 30 and starting over, right? Um. No. Though, I think my Valkyr might be pretty maxed, but I’m probably using some non-optimal/necessary mods in there. Getting some of those things to max level seems absurdly expensive, both in terms of money and mods to fold in. Any tips for that?

And to back up a bit, anyone got any tips for ranking up new frames/gear? I think the biggest block I’m running into is the desire to unlock new areas/planets and the desire to level new equipment- they’re kind of mutually exclusive. :\

It’s worth finishing the star map, if only because some of the more rewarding Alerts take place on outer planets.

As to levelling up frames, once you get a bunch of good mods and have them ranked up, ranking up frames and weapons for the umpteenth forma isn’t too onerous. For frames and weapons, and in groups, there are a few methods. Starting on Apollodorus, then doing a couple of T1D “xp runs” (as they are advertized in Recruitment), maybe a T2D or T3D after that, and the frame/weapon is ranked, is one method.

A solo method is to do as high-ranked Spy missions as you can - if you can do the three spy things undetected that’s a great xp boost, plus all the respawning mobs nets you a fair amount. An affinity booster gives a huge boost (this is how a lot of “pros” do it, the people who do reviews, etc. - either that or Draco, but it’s probably impolitic to admit to doing Draco on a youtube stream).

Draco is the thing for weapons though. (Seimini is another popular holiday destination for this purpose.) Grouped, take any weapon into Draco and it will level up to 30 after 4 rounds. The Draco method does require, though, that you have one of the “meta” frames (Trinity and Frost are always the foundation, then for damage Excalibur, Rhino, Nova are usually somewhere in the meta for Draco at the moment AFAIK, another variation is to have Equinox and Banshee), and also that you have the right builds (therefore the right mods) for those frames. Also, it’s etiquette to have at least one fully-functional weapon so you can kill stuff if something goes wrong with the smooth functioning of the meta grind (as it sometimes does).

Other than that, for solo weapon levelling, the same method as levelling frames, as above. Note that you get more affinity for a weapon if you have no other weapons equipped.

Hah, I have no idea what Draco even is (or a ‘meta’ frame, fwiw), after all the time I’ve spent. Hilarious. And no, I don’t really need an explanation. I’ll get there eventually. Or not.

PC Gamer’s getting excited about U18. Sheldon looks crazed in the interview :)

I didn’t understand crafting or mods until I had spent 100 hours into it or something along those lines ;) Thats when I joined a clan.
Before that I just ran around doing everything with my Loki.

Edit: What! U18 already!.. Argh. I dont have time to do the challenge modes + Nightfall + 3 x Heroics on 3 x characters in Destiny AND Warframe AND work… I guess I’ll have to sleep less to get things done :)

Oh yea, U18 seems awesome!

I’ve been out of the Warframe loop while U18 was in development and I’m at the office so can’t really watch any videos/media. If you get a minute, mind throwing out some bullet points or highlights of what makes it awesome?

• New PVP Map
  • New “cinematic questline”
  • Bi-weekly “Dailies” (Sorties) every 14-15 days with a reward for completing all
  • Another Warframe (Archer type)
  • Rhino revamp
  • New sexy map tile-sets
  • Probably a lot more done to PBR rendering to make everything more “GRAPHICS!!!”
  • Moon redone

https://warframe.com/seconddream/index.php?lang=en#conclave

Also; use this:

Seems like the free U17/U18 adds more than Destiny did with Taken King.

Draco is an interception node on the star map that some players run to farm xp. You’re not missing anything by not getting there.

My favorite method to level weapons is to run solo missions using Loki with a Hushed Invisibility mod. This mod will silence any weapon while Loki is invisible, meaning you can get stealth kills with weapons that aren’t normally capable of doing so. And stealth kills have a huge xp multiplier, especially if you can string together several in a row. The weapon has to be capable of ‘one-hit’ kills for it to work though. Actually this may not be the easiest thing for a new player to do, but something to keep in mind down the road.

EDIT I think U18 is also supposed to include the sniper rifle revamp. New scope HUDs, multiple zoom levels, possible combo system too.

Aaaaaand it’s out. Release notes.

wow.5

1.3GB , downloading at 800KB/s.
Edit; Ah, 12MB… better. Done ;)

Thought I’d get login reward before I went to bed, nearly 4am. Guess I’ll do it after work later today =)
Edit: Guess I’ll get it now.

So the 3 x Daily Mission thing was ok I guess. Had to go back to my loki on the 2nd and 3rd mission which were Mobile Defense and Sabotage.

The reward was a Blueprint for a new gun. It looks like there are 20-so rewards that you can obtain, so you’ll need to do many of them.

The daily login reward was a 2 day booster, and it seems like there is a LOT of rewards you can get assuming you login enough. The good thing is that you dont lose the login reward if you do not play for 1-2 days like in many other games.

I got a madurai lens as a sortie reward. I don’t even know. Sounds like it may be part of the focus system they’ve been talking about for a while, but I saw nothing in the patch notes.

Wow, Major plot? thing in that new storyline quest. It was even quite good except for some really really annoying game-mechanic parts.