Warframe: silly named F2P coop TPS

Hnnnnnnngh. I love Warframe, I have hundreds of hours of playtime, but the one thing I always wished is that it had a more open world approach.

I didn’t watch through the entire video. Did they say how they’ll handle instancing for the open area?

Didn’t hear anything during the Con reveal, but I guess they’ll do it like they do with the trade hubs… guessing there’s like a 30+ player limit on the hubs in space? Or maybe it will instance as soon as you exit to the open world area, so there’s only you and +3 or +7 others.

Those were the two possibilities I had in mind. The latter is more likely given the way things work now, but I’d love to see the former if they could pull it off. A 30-player open raid would be insane.

Guess biggest problem would be servers and the peer-to-peer nature of the game.

The hubs see very little activity I would guess, outside of the barons bi-weekly(?) visits, and even then the most I’ve seen was 9 hubs active. As it is mostly movement and not any action I guess it doesn’t take much in terms of resources either, could even be P2P for all I know.

I have no doubt my computer/network connection could handle beeing the ‘peer’ for 30 players, but I guess that cant be said for all setups, so it will be hard for them to do it that way I suppose. And doing servers will cost $$ so I guess it will be small number of players in there, which isn’t too bad, more for you to kill :)

So, because I’m weak-willed and my interest was rekindled by the new announcements, I’ve spent the afternoon working on the quests that have been released since the last time I played, probably around the Xbone release of The War Within quest.

I got lucky there was a group attacking Vay Hek (probably the stupidest boss in the game), one of the last things I needed to do to unlock the Sedna relay and The WW questline. It also unlocked the Octavia quest, so between those two and the Silver Grove quest Inonly got halfway through, I’ve got lots of directed content to do (rather than just semi-aimless grinding/unlocking). Granted, some of that directed content is ‘scan(grind)’ for these herbs, but eh, they cant all be winners, and at the end I’ll have a few shiny new frames to play with.

Some of the more recent quests are pretty awesome, enjoy :)

I still have to do the last quest they added, hopefully will have time this weekend.

Very happy with my acquisition of a Drakgoon. With 12,000-some listed damage in the arsenal, there aren’t many things I need to shoot twice if I hit with all the pellets.

First time I’ve found one of these from a sortie mission. They do exist!

!!! wow.

Do want.

You could get a lot of plat for some of the max ranked mods I would think.

I finished setting up my Drakgoon.

I have half a mind to go for a third Forma, so I can max all the mods and have a bit of room to play with alternate damage types when required. Hasn’t been an issue yet, up to level 35-ish foes, though—most things still die in one charged shot. I only wish the innate punchthrough wasn’t broken when shooting at enemies. Otherwise it would be an even more brutal room-clearer.

Huh. No one mentioned that The War Within changed things so that the Vacuum mod now works on all sentinels! That’s a nice QoL improvement. Though Looter can still only work on the Carrier sentinel, so that does give a mild reason to keep using it (but now it isn’t the only one that makes sense).

Just got my Titania up to max level, and have been trying to run spy missions to get my Ivarra parts. This is where the grind sets back in. Loki makes ruining these absurdly trivial, but The RNG gods have not been with me. :(

Also trying to get oxium to build an Itzal, but since I don’t have any of the farming frames, it’s really slow going. I want a shiny new archwing for the open world bit when it’s released.

Also a bummer? I got a 50% off coupon as my daily log-in bonus, and figured i’d buy one of those cosmetic scarf/backpack things, but all the ones that didn’t look stupid were exempt from the coupon. Oh, well.

Still, I’m having fun getting back into the game. I don’t have any Prime frames, but I’m steadily collecting some of the Prime weapons. I’m using a Paris Prime with 112% critical chance/x5.8 crit damage, so it one-shots pretty much everything (whether or not I hit them in the head) and nails them to the wall. And as an invisible Loki they never even see me coming. Hilarious. Now that I have no secondary weapons to level, I’ll probably start trying out the new thrown melee/one-hand pistol dual-wield system. My Lex Prime and Glaive should make that fun.

Are you researching it or just crafting it?

The most efficient way to get oxium is to wait for it to show up as an alert reward, which will give 300. Three of those would cover the crafting requirements.

The discount only applies when you buy platinum, not when you make purchases from the cash shop. Actually I’m not 100% sure about that, since I’ve only used the cash shop a couple of times, so maybe someone else can chime in. I think that’s the way the discount works though.

I’m researching the Itzal. So I need like 5000 more. Good to know oxium comes up on alerts, though. I remember having an app that I could set to tell me when Vauban parts came up when I was chasing that. I’m guessing I can set it up to let me know when there’s Oxium in the list. I also have a few months to come up with it before the new patch- I really don’t think it’ll be here before November or so. It’s a long goal, honestly.

I’m playing on the Xbone, so discounts work differently. Plat goes on sale a couple times per year (which is when I’ve bought it). For the daily reward, they just give you a % discount from the normal market- the limitations of Xbox Live (and the PS Store?) means they can’t just give you a discount code to buy plat for some reason. After I wrote that, I went back and looked and it seems like the stuff that wouldn’t discount was Tennogen items made ‘by the community’. Huh.

Yea, Tennongen stuff is sold for $ on the PC version, the rest is for Plat (which you can get by selling loot to other players if you wanted to.)

Yeah, things are different on the consoles. Someday I may spend money on the cosmetics instead of just buying more slots for new frames and weapons. Maybe.

That said, I’ve started deleting old unused weapons now. I think I have a little over half of the non-Prime frames, and I actually like collecting those though, so I can’t imagine selling/deleting even the ones I don’t like. Always fun to find a new use for a frame I didn’t necessarily like the first time I was leveling it.

Latest roadblock is Prime parts for faction standing. I’ve gotten three Oxium alerts in the last couple days, so that’s progressing nicely- in a month or so I should have the Itzal Archwing. I’m on the cusp of getting to the next level for two factions, the level that gets you access to Frame Mods. But I need specific Prime parts to unlock the level. I’m almost to the point of just breaking down and buying them off the market. :(

I ran through the new Harrow storyline. Atmospheric, but super easy. The only quest I haven’t done now is the last one with the arena fighting. Having to pay money just to try the next section is bullshit- and reading the wiki the section after you’re guaranteed to lose with even more money . I’ve kind of lost interest. Meh.

Man, this game can be addictive once you get back into it.

Deleting weapons? :-O

I’ve kept all of them. Sometimes there’s a new recipe that requires you to have made some of the old ones, so always good to have them available. + When you get some of those purple mods that give massive boosts to weapons, its nice to have it, even though a lot of the boost mods are crap or very conditional.

Still haven’t done the new storyline.

The Arena things I think was in an earlier quest as well, or maybe that’s the one you’re talking about. You should do them as you can get some nice mods from it + you can do the arena coop later on for cash/mods. And its super easy.

In fairness, I have a lot of weapons now. And lots of them I just didn’t find fun the first time. I see @fishbreath up above is in love with his Drakgoon, but I haven’t found a shotgun in this game I like, even that one. Then there’s things like my Paris, when I now have Paris Prime, and the melee weapons that just aren’t cutting the mustard (so to speak). I only have one purple mod, for some rifle thing I’ve never seen, don’t know how to get, and am not willing to pay plat for. So I should just sell it.

Just finally built my Hydroid frame. Eh. Seems okay so far, but nothing to really recommend it. We’ll see. I’ve just unlocked the spot to try to Spy run for one of the Harrow parts, and I already have one of the others picked up during a random mission, so I might aim for that next.

There’ve been no Oxium Alerts in the last several days that I’ve seen. No Bueno.

I’m also fond of my Twin Grakatas, especially now that I’ve found a Lethal Torrent for them. They make a delightful buzz.

Yea, I got some really shit dual-pistol laser weapon ages ago… If I put enough mods on them, they fire so fast that, even though they are terrible, they are FUN :-)

Just need to go on a low enough level mission to kill stuff with them, pewpewpewpew.

Sometimes, high damage isn’t what you want in a mission.

And, if there’s trouble, I have a spare shotgun with me.