Warframe: silly named F2P coop TPS

Is there a frame that specializes in just plain ol’ ranged shooting? Or am I too boring of a person for Warframe?

Well, every frame is good for ranged shooting at lower levels. Above a certain level 50+(?) I guess you’ll have to start using abilities more, and certain builds/melee weapons will be superior to most weapons.

I guess MESA is the a “shooer” frame you want, except his ranged shooting is an ability and not using your normal weapons.

Alternatively, Zephyr with the Turbulence activity active (redirects incoming projectiles) he can stand still and shoot for a while.

Frost can safely stand still and shoot stuff inside his little frost bubble.

Outside of shooting, I guess you can try to get the DREAD Bow and you can hit a very high crit rating for super damage.

-http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Dread

• Highest critical chance of all weapons, alongside the Amprex, Lenz and Synapse.
  • Tied with Lenz for highest critical chance of all bows.
  • Can achieve orange criticals with a rank 4 Point Strike.

Mesa is your choice if all you want is plain old shooting. “Tank” frames are also suitable for that.

For me, a big part of the fun is how you use your frame’s powers, though, and how they change the gameplay. Some frames are better than others in that respect, so it’s useful to try a few of them if you can.

Regarding shotguns, since I resumed playing a month ago I’ve been using the Vaykor Hek. It’s been my go-to weapon for high-level missions. Good accuracy and range for a shotgun, double the magazine size of the vanilla Hek, and healing on the syndicate proc.

Also, I sold off my Sobek a long time ago, but I may rebuild it and throw in an Acid Shells mod. It gives the gun excellent AoE potential, at least on paper.

Wish I had better farming advice to give. I picked up a lot of oxium from running Kappa back when it was a corpus mobile defense mission, and was considered the place to go for leveling up frames and weapons quickly. I don’t know where the cool kids are hanging out nowadays.

Are you running a solo clan? Have you researched a lot of gear yet?

yup. Solo clan. I’ve managed to build all the research rooms, and a few things in each room. Not a ton, but I don’t really concentrate on it. Kind of “oh, this is my last gun/sword/frame to level? Huh, what can I research?”

That said, any clan-less Xbone players are welcome to join the clan and access anything. Or start on a project you want. I mostly started it when playing solo, because the matchmaking on the Xbox was total shit, and I just didn’t want the hassle of constanly dropped games, or just failing to start at all, etc.

That said, at some point in my year hiatus, things seem to have improved dramatically on that front. If I go into a PUG for just about any sort of mission, I’m matched and the game is launched almost immediately. Nice!

Still slowly building my warframe stable; I just finished leveling Limbo, and am working on a Trinity Prime now (meta!). I’ve more or less settled on Drakgoon, Twin Grakatas, and Orthos Prime as my go-to weapons, with a Dread on hand if I feel like doing a bows-only sortie. (Still need an assault rifle for assault-rifle-only, but I guess I could turn the Soma in my inventory into one of those.) I still have Eris to unlock and planets to finish, but the only major thing left on my list is nightmare mods and derelict vault mods. Or possibly building a little solo clan dojo myself.

I’m of two minds: I finally have enough access to the map to get the resources I need, and I don’t have much to spend resources on otherwise, but I don’t know if I want to commit to a mostly-solo style of play. (Then again, solo/PUG is what I do already.) I suppose I could look for an alliance.

I feel liked I played this ages ago, but I couldn’t find my old login info and the lost password didn’t recognize my usual emails, so I started anew. Mostly because of the Twitch Prime bonus.

The whole game remains impenetrable and unfriendly to newcomers. Almost nothing is explained. Is enemy level tied to my rank, my warframe level or some other metric? Who stays where during an extraction map? It’s not even clear which loot is global and which is individual. I picked a bow as my first weapon and can’t find a replacement, even though it’s a PIA on these horde-style maps.

I don’t even like the art style all that much. And yet, there’s something super satisfying in the run-and-gun gameplay, the ballet jumps and sword slams and everything else, that I imagine I’ll keep playing for a bit.

Enemy level comes from the map level (which is on the starmap).

As far as I know, everything drops once per player, and you get your copy if you pick it up by running over it.

You can buy blueprints in the market for credits, or a handful of weapons. (I believe the Braton is one of the credits-only ones, and should serve for a little while. Aklato is also credit-buyable, and dual pistols are always fun.) Once you get to Mars, you have access to resources enough to build mid-game weapons from blueprints.

My solo clan dojo project has begun! I have oodles of forma-blueprint relics on hand, which is the big limiter for solo players so far as I can see.

My first aim is to get an Orokin lab built, so I can research and build the keys for Orokin vaults. After that, who knows? Whatever strikes my fancy, I guess.

Look around online (possibly the wiki?), and you’Il find a few plans for building the absolute minimum number of rooms to get all the labs (with power, etc). I did it a while back, it’s a fun little project. The first thing I built was the Tenno lab, too- wanted the new frames, etc. But I think I’ve only built two or so.

My big discovery of the last few days? They’ve changed how you get Archwing weapons! Back before my hiatus, you had to grind for the parts with painfully low drop chances. Now they’re all (well, most) in the Syndicate rewards tables at fairly low tiers. Which is fortunate, because I finally devoted some time to leveling my starter wing/weapons the other day, and unlocking the last three Archwing map nodes I hadn’t done. A 3 hour affinity booster as my daily login was fortuitous, and playing those nodes the first time gave me some pretty sweet (and sorely needed) rare Archwing mods. Now I’m all leveled up and feeling powerful, just in time to start over with new weapons. I’m also finding there just aren’t enough of those missions in the new starmap, and the level spread for them is pathetic- just one (or less) per planet. Meh.

I’ve seen a couple, which I plan to modify slightly for aesthetic purposes but otherwise stick to pretty closely. (I’ll probably sub in some gardens for cross connectors, since I’m in no particular hurry and aesthetics are nice.)

The biggest obstacle is forma; I sunk a lot into weapons I like, and need to build my stock again. Now that I’m looking for it, predictably, it isn’t dropping from my relics.

I built mine in the days before they revamped the relic system. Forma were the roadblock then, too- I actually resorted to buying a couple for plat from the market, I got so frustrated, IIRC. Now I’m swimming in them- that said, I’ve never actually used a forma to change a polarity slot. Just too much of a hassle, and I’m not that hardcore. There’s plenty of blueprints that require them, anyway. They get used.

Something like three years ago I started this, got to the player ship, UI was a mess, uninstalled. A few days ago after reading one more awesome F2P games list, reinstalled, UI made sense, close to 80 hours in already and spent 20€.

I realize this is “grinding, the game”. Yes, it’s pretty much a clicker game with a cool 3rd person action skin on it.

Still, I want to go home and farm stuff so I can see the numbers go higher…

Also, follow iFlynn on Youtube (think that’s the name) if you need a starting guide…

It isn’t grinding if you’re having fun.

I have a set of impossible criteria I like to apply to games. They should…

• … be possible to play meaningfully in 5-minute chunks
  • … remain rewarding over hours-long sessions
  • … allow me to make progress toward something with either of the prior play types
  • … not gate content unduly
  • … be chill
  • … be action-packed
  • … be easy and/or mindless
  • … be challenging

Warframe isn’t all of those at once, but it can hit every one, which makes it pretty much unique in my book.

Making good progress on my solo dojo. I am, of course, forma-limited, but I have a huge stock of forma-bearing relics I’m slowly working my way through, and have a few days’ worth of blueprints in any case. I have enough rooms built to start on the labs without running out of places to put reactors, so that’s next on my list.

In Twin Grakatas news, I’m angling to move to a status build. It appears I can get to a 45% status chance with only mods I have now plus Jolt from the void trader, and that seems likely to be useful for corrosive procs in sorties, which I’ve started to do now. (By shuffling the mods, I could readily switch between corrosive+cold, viral+electric, and magnetic+toxin, which seems to me to cover most of the possibilities pretty well. It will probably involve another forma into the Twin Grakatas, but hey, I like them a lot.)

Hah, I agree. I have that discussion a lot with a friend. We make a distinction between grinding and farming in a game we enjoy. To me, grinding is being forced to do an activity that bores you to tears because you’re trying to get to “the good part of the game” or whatever. Maybe you can’t earn EXP through normal means in a MMO, so you’re forced to do a really repetitive/unfun activity just to progress.

Farming on the other hand means I’m playing a game and progressing while doing something I enjoy. I’m having fun, and I’m playing the game trying to reach my goals.

There a good resource to get an overview of the major features released in the last 18 months or so? I barely know how to play anymore! :)

Here’s the forum thread, and here’s the Reddit thread where I found the prior link.

Edit: reading through that thread, I can’t believe how much they’ve added in the past few updates alone. Eighteen months ago it was basically a different game.

Tell me about it! :) I’ve been playing off and on since closed beta and usually I’m able to get up to speed fairly well, but good lord this hiatus seems far “worse” (and by that I mean way more awesome) than usual! I see so many terms and mechanics that I’m unfamiliar with and the entire starmap has changed again.

I’m in the same boat. I keep finding new things that work differently team the last time I really put time into it (year+). From big things like the updated starmap to little QoL enhancements like the way to get archwing weapons I mentioned upthead- before it was just a super low drop chance on archwing missions, now you just buy them from factions in the first or second tier of rewards. Great change! And that all sentinels can equip the vacuum mod- so much better now.

I’m really looking forward to what the open world adds.