Warframe: silly named F2P coop TPS

I’m playing Warframe again. God dammit.

Every time I come back to it I fall in love with it all over again - and then get sick to the back teeth of it after a month or two. I just had a stint with WoW which I enjoyed very much, but … great as WoW is, you can’t make your own little mini-art out of leaping around parkouring in WoW.

In fact, upon reflection, it’s good that there are other games around, so that I can enjoy Warframe again when I come back to it :)

New FOTM seems to be the Lenz, a gigantic, splodey techno bow from the Corpus. (I’m half convinced that DE sometimes get scaling wrong but leave their mistakes in for a laugh - Tonfas, normally in martial arts about the same size as Nunchakus, are humungous monsters in WF.)

Also, having played WF on and off for nearly three years now, I’ve only just twigged that the IPS (Impact/Puncture/Slash) skew of weapons is per faction vs. faction - i.e. Grineer weapons emphasize Impact because they mostly fight Corpus, Corpus weapons emphasize Puncture because they mostly fight Grineer. And I guess Tenno weapons emphasize Slash because it’s anti-Infested.

Doh!

Me too, exactly the same thing. Currently just started back up this weekend and I’m sure I’ll be bingeing hard for another couple months.

Trying to resist starting it up again until the new open world patch is out, but I need to check in now and then just to pickup new recipes to craft, to be “up to date” :)

Spent the morning getting back to this. I’d taken the last week or so off, mostly. I’ve been kicking around
Conan on Xbox game preview, and I knew my 150 day login was coming up. I didn’t want to waste that, so I managed to time it to today, my weekend.

So, 3-Day Credit Booster in play, I spent the morning playing every alert I could for cash. I was tragically low (down to less than 30K!), and within a couple hours had brought it back up to over 500K. That’s nice, but not playing regularly means no progress on the Oxium deficit, Dammit. Another new discovery- it seems they’ve added a new alert type, Defection, into the mix, recycled it seems from an earlier special event. New fun ways to play!

Anyone playing on Xbox want to trade me for a Kaszas blade? One of my factions gets me the handle (and a really slow grind to dig myself out of the hole with one other faction without tanking my primaries). Tried asking in the trade/bazaar channels, but got no response.

Hey, @Fishbreath, a word of advice while you’re building your dojo. Do the invasion missions. Unless you’ve done your (out of game) research, you might not know what those resources are. Mutagen Mass, Fieldron, and Detonite Injectors are used heavily in Dojo research projects. Note, these are different than the ‘samples’ of all three you collect during the game normally. Also Niatin Extract- usually shows up in Alert missions.

I managed to finish my first Sortie yesterday with a PUG. And all I got was a damn Atayan Sculpture. Sure, it’s the best sculpture, but I’m not really hurting for credits or Endo right now. Wonder if I can sell it for Plat.

Must have ran the Kuva Fortress spy mission 2 dozen times last night trying to get the Harrow piece. The RNG gods hate me. Nice PUG there, too- we had it down to a science- each one of us would head for a separate vault, ace it, and head to the exit. A run took less than 5 mins a pop.

So, a tale of early farming, Continuity, Streamline, Intensify, these mods are usually a given on any Warframe build.
Streamline and Intensify I was lucky enough to get just from doing stuff I was already doing. They drop from enough sources, and those sources are “common” enough that I just got them, no need to go out of my way.

Not so with Continuity. So a farming we will go. Looked at the Wiki, found the sources, did the boss a few times, no luck, ok, early Defense has the highest chance (7%) on rotation C, guess that’s what I’ll do. Did it a few times, no dice.

Want to know why? Because rotations go A, A, B, C, and not A, B, C.

Finally got it when I randomly got dropped next to a high level duo that was pretty much AFK farming one of those early survival missions (Banshee Prime + Trinity Prime), and just blew through the early rotations in no time at all…

I bought one for 5p, because I got sick of waiting.

LOL, there are a few head-scratchers in WF like that, it’s the equivalent of quirky spellings in English meant to trip up Johnny Foreigner :)

Generally, the “basic” mods are so relatively abundant that it’s probably less time-consuming for a new player to farm Lith/Meso relic missions to get prime “junk parts” to sell for plat to buy the basic mods off players with.

Btw, if you’re on PC, use Warframe Market, an external website that does the job of an auction really well.

Generally speaking, the only mods it’s worth deliberately farming for are the Nightmare mods (which give a moderate boost in two stats), which you get from special starmap missions that pop up occasionally, that have severe penalties like no shields, etc.; and Corrupted mods (which have a major boost in one stat and a moderate downside in another).

Corrupted mods can be got from special Void missions with “Orokin vaults” that contain the Corrupted mods, which you need to build one of 4 types of “Dragon keys” for. The keys do the triple job of getting you into the vault mission; being something you carry that into the mission that has one of 4 types of penalty you have to cope with; and opening up one of 4 types of door that might be encountered in a mission (which is why they’re always done in teams, to cover the 4 possible vault door types).

Corrupted mods are always in demand, and a nice alternative/complimentary source of plat (alternative to farming for and selling prime parts). The people who get plat rich in WF are usually the ones who’ve concentrated on farming Corrupted mods because they’re a steady stream of moderately good income (as opposed to occasional big bumps from selling “hot” prime parts, etc.). The one downside of those missions is if you’re the one carrying the Dragon key that slows you down, that’s always a PITA :(

Suppose you could run the Volt frame and use the key that slows you down with no problem?

By the way; New patch now: HYDROID PRIME + Accessories available.

So now I’m yet another frame ‘behind’. Been slacking a bit on my warframeing anyway, guess it is soon time to ‘dig in’ again. Haven’t done the latest quest either, hopefully it is as good as the previous ones were.

Yep, if you have Volt that’s the trick - Volt’s speed boost can also help a teammate who has a hobbled key.

Also, running Inaros or Nidus with the no-shield key is a great option.

Yup, Inaros is what I usually run for those, or my regenerating Valkyr build who doesn’t really care about shields, anyway.

I was motoring on through the Inaros quest until I ran into the last urn, which has me killing juggernauts. Sigh. Of all the options for that urn, that one has to be the most annoying.

I’m not exactly complaining because I’m still at the stage where “Try to optimize for farming low level content” is fun, and because I have so much stuff to try and level that it’s no biggie to level stuff on T1 Defense vs somewhere else. It’s just that if it hadn’t dropped by luck on the 20’s wave that time I could’ve gone several months without ever seeing the damned thing and never think about checking the AABC rotation, because who the hell would ever have item C being the fourth goddamned item on a list? :D

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been avoiding spending plat on stuff other than slots, feels a bit like paying to skip content, but I’ve done it once already for Winds of Purity once I realized that I was already trying to get stuff from their enemies. So, lesson learned I guess, game has more content to go through than I have time to play.

Is it simple to PUG corrupted mods? We need to coordinate the key everyone is using, yes? I’ve been just dropping into missions, no muss, no fuss, never had to actually talk all that much to my fellow players. :D Also, what happens if someone tries to do one of those puzzle rooms and fails? I’ve had missions where the whole mission failed because someone started the puzzle room and failed, nothing like losing Mods / Argon because of someone making a mistake unrelated to the mission.

Are you referring to things like the Spy missions, where you have to break into secure areas? You typically have 3 attempts (locations A, B, and C). You can make it out as long as you succeed on one of them, usually. Each successful break-in will net the team a reward which is revealed at the end. It can be a mod, a credit cache (boo!), or something else.

@Fishbreath, just wanted to ask: Are you doing a solo dojo just for fun, or do you just want access to the dojo stuff but don’t want to deal with the hassle of a clan? If it’s the latter, I think the Dojo for my friends and I has one more slot open. We’re mostly inactive, just playing in periodic binges, so you’d mostly get the solo experience without having to build/research everything yourself.

If you’re interested in an invite just let me know. I’m 90% certain there’s still one more slot left in our cap.

No, puzzle rooms in Orokin / Derelict missions, like whatever her name Ayatan weekly mission. Start room, timed puzzle, fail, mission over.

Fine when getting into the end room is the point of the mission, not so fine when it’s unrelated…

Oh, I’m not sure on those, sorry!

Those missions will fail if someone attempts the puzzle and fails it. It’s something of an oversight, it’s true, that the puzzle rooms spawn outside of Ayatan Treasure missions.

@KevinC, it started as an “I just want the research” project, but now I’m on the hook to host my own group of friends the next time they jump in, so it looks like I’m committed now. Thanks, though!

Yeah, there’s a sort of standard way of doing it, hang around in the group finder chat tab and there’ll be someone advertising for a team within a few minutes. Once the four of you are assembled in Navigation, you have a quick chat about who’s happy to wear what Dragon key, and in you go. Once you’ve joined a team a few times, you can form one the same way.

Caveat about all this: I used to do Corrupted mods a fair bit, but that was back when “endless” (the endlessly scaling Void survival and defence missions) was a thing. In those days everyone built around that placeholder “endgame,” and extreme min-maxing was necessary, and that’s what the Corrupted mods gave you (everyone in the team would have their frame built to the speciality of the frame only, so the sacrificed stat wouldn’t matter).

Since the relic system was introduced, there’s not so much incentive to do endless any more, at least not to the levels people used to do it (beyond 40 mins/waves or so), so there’s not so much incentive to do those extremely min-maxed builds any more, so I’m not 100% sure that farming Corrupted mods is as good business as it used to be. But I still see regular calls in trade chat for Fleeting Expertise, Blind Rage, Overextended and Narrow Minded, so it’s probably still a good way to go if you want to get a steady plat income. I think people still use the Corrupted mods a bit, but rather than swallowing the sacrifice and min-maxing, people tend to compensate for the sacrificed stat and keep things hybridized with just the extra bump from the maxed stat poking out a bit (as it were).

The real “grown up” mods these days are the Primed mods - Primed Continuity and Primed Flow, and some of the weapon ones. They take ages to fill the last couple of pips, but once you’ve got them build flexibility is increased dramatically (mainly because of the decent compensation to Duration that Primed Continuity gives over vanilla Continuity when you’re using Fleeting Expertise). It’s definitely worth watching Baro Ki’Teer’s appearances like a hawk and snagging primed mods when they come around, or getting them from trade if someone’s selling them un-filled (or even filled, if you can afford the huge plat cost). Note that Ki’teer’s things cost both credits (quite a lot) and “ducats”, a currency you get from him by selling him prime parts. Also note that the tax for buying primed mods from players is humungous.

Re. farming: I think most players do a blend of farming for plat to buy stuff, farming and grinding for specific things, and buying a bit of plat with real money now and then (when a discount swings your way as a login reward). The game’s set up nicely so that you don’t feel you’re cheating or doing anything “wrong” with any of the pay-to options, at least I don’t. Most of the time it just feels right to farm for things, because you do get that sense of satisfaction when you’ve worked for it, but sometimes if the RNG doesn’t go your way for too long, or you just want a thing NAAAAOOOWWW, that option’s there too, since you can eventually accumulate a fair amount of plat from just playing casually and selling mods and prime parts.