Warframe: silly named F2P coop TPS

I gave it one more shot and used an obscure as hell name and managed to Register.

Then I was thrown into a game that thinks a FOV of 40 is normal and the camera should be directly up your ass.
So I max my FoV to… 78. I was feeling queasy about 3 minutes in. Eyes started hurting at 5 min.

Google around, apparently this isn’t new and they don’t give a fuck. Whelp.
Guess they don’t want me to play it.

Warframe measures FOV along the vertical axis, so that’s equivalent to about a 65 degree horizontal FOV.

Well whatever it is, I’ve never gotten motion sickness so quickly from anything in my life. And that’s after I went to max FoV.

My FOV is set to 70, try that.

edit: Also, disable screen shake. That may help with the motion sickness.

Yea, playing with 75, no screen shake here.

It’s happening! Dammit. I thought I had a few more weeks. Too many new games out this week!

*and PS4, too, fwiw.

You know, playing the game and watching the opening cinematic for Fortuna, it struck me that it reminded me of the opening to “Joe Vs The Volcano” with the song ‘16 Tons’.

Major update on PC. Trailer and patch notes.

We finally get to take on that giant mechanical spider. And we can use Archwing weapons on the ground.

OMG

Best patch ever!

(Seriously.)

(Maybe.)

Cool - that PC update includes fixes to gamepad deadzones. The devs noted that they thought it was just a Switch bug, but as they investigated further they realized it’s affected all platforms forever.

Apparently the devs are working on a new gameplay mode where players can be the Stalker:

Link to Youtube vid of folks from DE demoing the new mode:

This reminds me of a short-lived feature Everquest added called “Project M,” which I thoroughly enjoyed. Project M did not last long because it opened the door to abuse and griefing, which I could also see happening here.

I think the difference is that in EQ, dying was a very serious thing. Especially if you died in a place where you couldn’t get back to your corpse early. Even if you could, you’re talking hours and hours of grinding to get back the lost EXP.

Death in Warframe doesn’t carry the same weight, and Stalker disappears after he kills his target. If they change that so he can stay around and grief, the worse case is you’re out 10 minutes on your current mission. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out though!

Nah, the EQ mode was limited to low-level mobs around the starting zones. Players didn’t lose xp at those levels. It did turn the newbie areas into bloodbaths for a while though, and it impacted the new player experience. I mean, I suppose folks controlling the mobs could have tried to help new players, but for the most part that’s not how it played out.

Is there a QT3 clan for this game? Just decided to give it a try on Switch and wasn’t really feeling it so I started again on PC. Account name is Cathcart.

I believe @Fishbreath has been willing to add folks to his ghost clan. I least I think its him. In-game name OneTrueCod.

Yup, that’s me.

There are a few Qt3 types presently on the rolls, though I don’t know offhand who’s active and who isn’t, and a few spots open at present. It’s not a Qt3 clan in the sense that it has a robust, frequently-online membership, but @Mike_Cathcart is welcome to join us, explore the vast, empty reaches of the clan dojo, and take advantage of the research we’ve done. Just shoot me a friend request in Warframe if you’d like to.

Hi Guys, yep I’m kinda addicted to this at the moment, started playing it last week and so far clocked up nearly 40 hours in it. Feel free to add me as a buddy online, my nick is SleepySid

Warframe really grabs you by the brainstem, doesn’t it? Great game.

So Warframe seems up my alley. Grabbed it on switch, played a few planets, probably 15-20 hours so far. Little lost with what quests to do in what order, but sort of figured it out. Unlocked some gates to get from planet to planet, equipped some weapons blah blah blah.

But, I do not get it! Seems like there are only like 2-5 maps, and I just drop into a map, run around mashing the button to hit things with my staff, never die, and just run to whatever the objective is, no reason to really fight anything. Over-and-over.

Someone sell me on this game! What am I missing!?

First off, the game starts off very easy and it may take a long time before it presents a challenge. Most people coast through the first few planets. Do the story missions to keep things interesting. There is a difficulty spike around Uranus or so. Eventually, this game will be a lot like Diablo 3. You will choose how much of a challenge you want, and the game will set it up for you.

Second, some missions can be completed without fighting very much (spy, capture, sabotage), others require killing attackers who stumble across you (excavation, defense, mobile defense, interception) and others require hunting down and killing everyone you can find (exterminate). Choose mission types that suit your mood that day.