Warhammer 40,000: Speed Freeks - Twisted Metal Waaaaaagh!

I was all in until “16 player, Free-To-Play”

Oh shit.

It’s not quite the “Warzone, but Gorkamorka” that I dreamed of, but it’s close!

Wow, it’s just a WH40K full court press today. Free to play, eh what the heck, I’ll give it a spin. I dig the racing tank, though.

They’re having their annual “skulls” event, if you weren’t aware.

This could be a lot of fun if it’s done right.

Oh, I guess it couldn’t. Damn, what a waste of a great concept.

I wasn’t, nor do I know what that is anyway, but regardless I’m digging all the WH40K stuff!

I think it’s like E3 for Warhammer.

I requested alpha access! I really hope it’s good!

Edit: well I played one match and it was fun. I never played Twisted Metal, but it reminds me of exactly what I imaged Twisted Metal would be like when reading about it in gaming magazines as a young lad.

This is from the studio that made GRIP, which was fantastic aside from some menu clunkiness, the so-so arena fights, and I had one friend who couldn’t get his x360 pad to work with it. Very interested.

I played Twisted Metal Black which felt a lot like Quake 1 deathmatch (very similar pacing), especially the way you would route paths through a map for health & powerups, but with more sliding and homing missiles. It didn’t really resemble driving a vehicle because you’d hit top speed in a couple seconds and could turn on a dime.

I miss the vehicle combat genre. SingleTrac’s Twisted Metal games, Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012 (think Twisted Metal meets Crazy Taxi), Vigilante 8. I was expecting ‘Speed Freeks’ to be a racing game so… that was a surprise.

A distinct lack of red in that trailer.

Surely speed boosts of that magnitude are an earned upgrade?

Alpha footage looks like a lot of fun. The only mode is capture-based. While your team holds the point, you get 15 points for kills instead of 10. Simple, elegant idea.

I see potential but the controls for gamepad were pretty janky and framerate not too great for me.