Warhammer 40K: Darktide (2022) (4-player co-op from Fatshark, the Vermintide devs)

still no solo play though right?

Nope.

Update looks live…

Ah, but private play <> solo play? Never mind then :)

I played 4 games and I had no crashes. Performance was a bit iffy on the last mission but I believe it was because one of those modifiers that makes extra big hordes.
I also got my first power sword, which was a white one I had to upgrade :/

Best melee weapon in the game, by a large margin.

Greys are good! It took me a bit to understand that the stat bars are more important than the perks/ blessings. A 360 grey will usually be much better than an orange with a base of 340.

I detest them too. Give me a menu and LET’S GOOO.

But then how can you show off your cosmetics to people you don’t care about??

Maybe obvious, but it’s worth stating that I really like Fatshark’s melee system.

It’s fairly simple: light attack, heavy attack, block, push, short evade. The block doesn’t even need timing or directionality or there are counters, or anything like that.

But once you play enough, you start to notice more the importance of every light attack and heavy attack variations of each weapon (overhead vs sweep vs thrust…), the combos, the importance of damage types, differences between weapons or even between attack of the same weapon in the stats like cleave or reach or stamina and the effect they have, and finally to put all together in a stressing situation with big hordes, special enemies screwing around on the sides, you then understand how just knowing when using light attack vs heavy attack vs block vs evade vs push (or when to retreat, or target priority…) at every moment is something to master with many hours.

I absolutely agree. Melee is fantastic in both the way it feels and how many different styles are available through different weapons.

There’s a long-running debate in the psyker discord over what is the superior melee weapon (for psykers). Force sword has many adherants, of course, as does the dagger. I am firmly on team “Mk V Combat Axe,” though. They’re all so different, and all have great strengths.

I do miss some of the more esoteric Vermintide melee stuff. Such as how block angle was variable (it’s now just always 360°) and how block angle was also shove angle. With well rolled gear my spear elf* had nearly 360°, but there that felt special and unique. Especially with the roundhouse shove to match. So much clutch potential!

Kinda weird that the ranged class got the best melee weapon in the game, tho. I honestly hate the implementation of needing to constantly trigger the power ability. So much faff. It leaves you open to attack during the anim. And it stops your sprint. Grr. Wish it lasted forever, at least up until your first hit with it. Sick of sprinting over just for it/my chainsaw rev to wear off as I swing.

Still enjoying it immensely overall. My biggest chagrin is actually the mission select. I have, like, 2 heresy mission types to complete on my sharpshooter to finish the penances for her but they just. won’t. pop.

* I just miss the elf generally. Though I do appreciate all(?) the Vermintide VA peeps appearing in Darktide. My zealot certainly sounds Kerillian-y! However she isn’t anywhere near as openly hostile to her team (except maybe the odd mutant psyker filth that sometimes tags along) and that saddens me. Lumberfoots. Boo.

I have a lore question if anyone here is really knowledgeable. Sometimes the characters have conversations about skaven snipers being the best and how they sometimes had worked with them.

How do skaven fit into the 40k lore? How can the imperium work with them being how xenophobic they are? I tried googling this, but could not find out anything useful.

I’m not much of a 40k lore buff*, most of what I’ve gleaned is just from playing various the videogame adaptations.

Anyway, they’re abhumans, subspecies of human that evolved in isolation over generations due to the extreme planetary conditions of their homeworld(s) (much like ogryns). Abhumans are barely tolerated as a result, and there are lines in Darktide about whether they actually have souls (naturally, ogryns have the biggest - and therefore, best - souls).

* I did try, at one point, to get into the tabletop but unfortunately the choice of shop for my first (and only) visit was a poor one - one of the guys there was a total creep and put me off the idea entirely. Probably for the best, I had designs on painting my army flamingo pink and having them march under the banner of an anime kitty. Plus I’m such a perfectionist painting said army to my exacting standards would’ve literally driven me insane…r.

Oh true, I had forgotten that!

They speak not of skaven, which aren’t present in 40K, but of ratlings. Abhuman ratlings are the 40K equivalent for hobbits

I may have celebrated victory a bit too early. It seems a bit less crashy than before, but still, I got a crash late night and today two more.

Ugh. I’ve only had time to play here and there since release. Fired up to play my lvl 13 Melee operative, and… she’s gone. Just poof.

I’ve only got some lvl 1 Psyker I dabbled w/ for a mission.

😭😡

EDIT: Quit the game and re-launched and now she’s back. WTF.

EDIT AGAIN: Nevermind. I bought on Steam, but must also installed the Gamepass version, and launching that version was the discrepancy.

And today I played a good number of hours, and I didn’t crash in any match. Uh.

Well, I have to say that, despite several complaints I have, and I still could do*, I have played already 40 hours. I leveled up my Veteran to 30 and I got a Ogryn to level 9. So it’s clear the game have done something right.
That said, my Gamepass subscription is expiring soon, and I want to play one more game before that happens (Deathloop) so I think it’s time to say goodbye to the game, for now.

*: for example,the very same system used to pick missions. Just a handful on the map, and with a difficulty selected. So for example, if you want to play the new mission they put int he last update, it may not be there and you have to wait until it appears, or it may appear but only with a very low or very high difficulty. I find games that do stuff like this maddening, because they are doing this bad practice on purpose, the easy simple thing IS to just put a list of missions on a menu, and let the player select difficulty.
DRG has a similar system but it has more missions to choose, it makes more sense because there are more mission mutators (or they are more interesting, instead of just ‘more doggies’) and you still can pick the difficulty you want.

Gamepassing this one, so far its ok, level 4 on my Psyker , hopefully a new outfit drops soon.

I wish this game had solo play. I do feel that there is so much pressure to “be good” and know everything that I don’t find playing multiplayer enjoyable.

Just look at your team’s ammo/grenade/health statuses before picking up any respective refill and you’ll do ok.

Easiest difficulty is very forgiving, unfortunately it’s almost entirely populated by L30 characters speedrunning it currently in order to grind out cosmetics.