Warhammer 40K: Darktide (2022) (4-player co-op from Fatshark, the Vermintide devs)

I almost hit a road block at the nonsensical “Mouse 5” icon.

Love it when you can’t even get past the tutorial.

until early monday I believe, though it may be late sunday

You can’t change mouse sensitivity and my Xbox Elite Controller has decided it doesn’t want to connect over bluetooth anymore.

Darktide closed beta looks and sounds good, runs fine on my system (5900X, 3070Ti), is fun and plays well, but software-jank wise it is incredibly half-baked. Unless this version is an old build they just want players to hammer their servers with, I do not think it will be ready to release in 6 weeks. I’m frankly surprised they want it tested in this state.

It’s Vermintide wearing 40K pants, but the pants are currently on fire.

Biggest beta issues out of a couple dozen things I noted down in ~3.5h play: no mouse inversion or sensitivity settings, edited keybinds and control options (toggle crouch/sprint) don’t get saved, and there are crashes and disconnects. My group finished a couple missions last night before crashes (one player and maybe a server that lost our progress) broke up the party and we gave up trying to reconnect together. I played as the Ogre on gamepad because it has Y-invert.

Fatshark’s beta forum has a ton of pinned KNOWN ISSUE posts over here.

One helpful tip: team mission accept/decline text gets swapped, but the “accept” button is near the middle of your screen with “decline” below, no matter what it’s showing you.

It may still be possible to get beta access on the Steam store page, if they add more players, and Fatshark are releasing Steam keys on Twitter and the official Darktide server on Discord.

The keybind icons for my MS Intellimouse Pro thumb buttons are backwards.

I applied about 2am last night, and was accepted a few hours later.

it also resets all gamepad settings after each login. my other complaint isn’t really about the game, but the average game sense of players is phenomenally low. this game is very unforgiving of that even on low difficulty.

fwiw, it is possible to unlearn inverted for both mouse and gamepad. I did it a couple years ago after 30+ years of inverted. Got sick of games (especially betas) no longer offering it so I bit the bullet and just changed to what is now ‘normal’. Only took a couple weeks before I wasn’t making huge mistakes and within a month it felt normal with the rare oops. the first few days and maybe week are pretty horrible feeling though. Now a couple years later no issues at all and it is jarring when I fire up an old game that I had selected invert on.

I finally got my Xbox controller to work, so I played a game with that. It was fine, I guess? Lots of chatter between the characters that meant fuck-all to me. I guess you’ll need to pick it up over time.

The character creator was interesting. I don’t know what all those background selections did, though.

The background selections had me scratching my head about why the bother beyond picking a normal archetype. Then the special attack version of the tutorial was quite unclear about how to activate it. Took me forever to get the proper sequence of buttons pressed at the right time.

Then I got through the tutorial and was released without direction into a multiplayer hub full of randos… so I quit.

I enjoyed the heck out of the Vermintide game, so hopefully this gets a lot more TLC before it’s released.

The progression in this beta at least is really rough. There are only two items you can get improved items of - Gun and melee weapon. On my level 6 warrior priest person I’ve gotten ONLY pistols, some worse than the ones I get before. There is also pretty much no incentive to level up, since it does…well, almost nothing - at level 6 I got to choose between three “Feats”, which were percentage adding to armor - thats it.
I really hope there will be armor progression as well, but that seems cosmetic only, which is quite sad in my opinion.

The gameplay itself is fine, although the levels are about 50 percent too big for my taste - each playthough takes close to half an hour, which is really a lot.

Anyways - there is something here, but I’m rather wary right now, and went from instant buy, to wait and see.

Yeah, that sounds like Vermintide 2.

Man, these two posts have made my relatively low hopes for this fall off a cliff. I rarely play co-op games like this because I’m not going to git gud at them, so I don’t want to be the one letting down the side. And I really need a solid progression system to motivate me to keep playing.

the full game should be more accessible. In Vermintide for example I could play on the easier difficulties with just bots and not let anyone down nor rely on them. Also there are several other systems in the game that the beta simply doesn’t include. crafting is one of them and is rumored to be deep though I have doubts on how deep ;)

you do get other weapons though. past level 5 my zealot started seeing combat shotguns, autoguns and swords instead of just axes and autopistols. also the feats are massive bonuses, not sure why Raz thought it was minimal. One of my choices was regen toughness when near enemies and was a huge deal in survivability.

I’ve waited 6 levels, which is equal to 5 or so missions - or almost 3 hours of playing, to gain one feat.
That feat was a choice between getting a percentage more armor when I hit someone, or when I was near someone - that was it. Not really an awe-inspiring thing to wait 3 hours for. In practice, I noticed no real difference.

All the rewards I got from level up was the same gun, with slightly higher numbers most of the time.

Thats a REALLY rough progression system, as I said it was - There really is nothing interesting in it, not even compared to Vermintide.

The fact is, that there is ONLY two different upgrades you can get in the beta- A gun, or a melee weapon. So far, after three hours, that is just a matter of slightly higher numbers on a gun, nothing more. This is fairly boring.

its fine you enjoy the game, and maybe the full game will have better progression - but the demo doesnt.

Pre ordered this and got into the beta yesterday. Played a few rounds and both the melee and gunplay are satisfying. I’m a big Vermintide fan so this is right up my alley.

Love the public common area and looking forward to the full release.

Does any one know how to use invert mouse look. The only option for that I see is for the controller.

The beta is sorely lacking in control options. You can’t change the mouse sensitivity, either.

There’s a config file at C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\user_settings.config but it looks like at least some of those settings are being ignored and I don’t see anything about mice in there.

definitely didn’t take me 3 hours to hit level 5 so my bias is probably on that point as well. combined with I typically play games for the gameplay and not the progression. I get the feeling a lot of you would never play the best gameplay ever if it didn’t have ‘numbers go up and things unlock’ attached to it.

I was really shocked at the number of enemies in the videos I have watched. Obviously it’s players that are new to the game but even the one star missions look challenging, not to mention long. Really long. Surprisingly so, at least to me.

It will also punish the crap out of people that charge ahead. I think my concern with playing this will be keeping up, since I tend to be slow

they are 15-20 minutes. seemed about normal length for this type of mission for me. end of mission score was usually around 750 kills, but keep in mind a lot of hordes are 50+ one hit people who you swing once and kill 5+

moving quickly through the map is pretty important since horde waves will spawn over time and you do get punished for taking a long time. a lot of people rush TOO much though. there is a sweet spot between rushing and moving deliberately but randoms rarely do it. Just like Vermintide you get punished HARD by getting separated whether ahead or behind. Lots of the elites will tie up a solo target (dogs pounce, net guys net you, etc)

Yeah, the dudes with the nets were top of mind when I brought it up