Warhammer 40K: Darktide (2022) (4-player co-op from Fatshark, the Vermintide devs)

The Emperor provides.

I am sorry, but small statistical stuff like that does not impress me.

Something like regenerate health or ammo on kill, even if it was a small amount would be far more interesting.

I was literally just saying this to a friend of mine. If this is what legendary (I’m assuming the orange color means it’s high-end loot, anyway) loot looks like… woof.

When do characters unlock a new pair of pants? I’m level 7 with no new pants, but I saw a level 6 with new pants. I just want a decent pair of pants!

15% hp is a lot and I’m fine with small statistical increases. across multiple items it can really add up.

I think most of us have been spoiled by arpgs and looter shooters that legendary-type items should have some kind of special perk or otherwise be more than a stat stick (even a big one). It might be a great piece of gear, but not especially interesting.

The 15% Max health is OK. Not great. I have a Blue item that I have had since level 10 that gives me 13% max health. So this “Legendary” item gives 2% more? That is weak.

+10% damage resistance from Pox hounds is garbage. Pox hounds rarely damage anyone. They leap on you and then slowly go through your toughness which regenerates. Normally the things die before they even do much damage to that.

+9% sprint efficiency, also garbage. I have a low level blue item that has +6%.

+6% more money, also garbage.

Keep in mind this is a LEGENDARY item, not some trash curio.

It seems to me, it’s a FPS first, and a loot game second, and not the other way around.

Also keep in mind it has 4 perks opposed to two for most other items.

I played a bit of Vermintide II and liked it ok, and I do like the idea of this, a 40K version. But with MW2/Warzone 2.0, I’m not sure I have room for another online multiplayer indulgence at the moment. When this is more mature and has DLC (which can be had on sale) I’ll certainly pick it up though.

I’ve always found the Vermintide combat to be really bad but have been holding out a slim hope that this one might be more range focused and change things up enough for it to click with me. The character customization is looking really boring though, so this one might be a pass.

Vermintide 2 has to be my most reinstalled game ever. I read about how engaging people find the gameplay so I think I must be missing something, reinstall, and then uninstall again a couple hours later. It’s frustrating because these games have a lot on paper that should be right up my alley!

I went ahead and gave this a try and here are my impressions after an afternoon:

1. Critical bugs. During the initial Grendel cut scene after the prologue I had repeated crashes. This seems to be a known issue and possibly tied to ultrawide gsync monitors (which I have). I eventually brute forced through (it crashes at different points) by repeatedly watching the scene with DLSS off until I made it past the scene into the main game. I have had some matchmaking disconnect bugs too.

2. This is VERY Vermintide. While there is more shooting, unless you are the Sharpshooter you will still be slicing most of the time above the lower difficulties.

3. I do like the dark ambiance of 40k. The music and window dressing is darn cool

3b) The environment, while cool, starts to feel very same-y very fast. There are not that many levels at this point, and even in those, the repetition of dark industrial underbelly with sirens and smoke get very repetitive.

1. The classes and progression feels bare bones. Only 4 classes, no sub classes, and fairly shared/same-y weapon pool limit the feel of differentiation. I’m sure this will be way different years from now, but it is not even Vermintide 1.0 right now. It’s very bare bones.

2. Performance on my RTX 2080ti is pretty good. I am able to get 50 to 90 FPS most of the time depending on settings. DLSS settings seem to offer the best look and best performance.

3. Tier 1 and 2 difficulty seem to almost ruin the experience. Everything is so easy that enemies fail to stand out from each other. I suggest going to Tier 3 ASAP even if that means some missions will fail. Just know that the jump between 2 and 3 is big.

Overall it is fun at this point, but it also feels like a product that is mid early access and needs a year to get to a good 1.0 release spot. Yes, technically it is early release with pre-order, but I have not read of anything that will significantly boost its content by actual release in 8 days (maybe a few new missions, but also likely with the same environment is all that seems held back now). I can easily see this getting put away after a dozen hours to wait for more content.

The opposite, in fact. The higher the difficulty, the more ranged enemies who will chew through your toughness rapidly. You need to engage them at range and behind cover to stay safe.

An afternoon of gameplay is not nearly enough to sample the weapon pool variety for four classes. More weapon types unlock as you level up. I have 40 hours in the game and I’m still seeing psykers with different abilities.

To everyone complaining about the value of my legendary trinket, I would like to say that the Emperor has heard you and decided that every Emperor’s Gift since has been fucking gray.

I have tried tier 3 difficulty 4 or 5 times. Not only did the team wipe every time, we never made it very far into the run in any scenarios. Mostly we all died at the first moderate engagement.

I got a legendary trinket today and its garbage. +1 wound (you can get from the very first trinket you can get), 15% resistance damage vs those dogs, 6% sprint efficiency (again a super low level value) and +10% toughness regeneration speed.

I am still playing my psyker and have missed an entire tier of staff because it never spawned in the store. Then there is the special store with the special currency you get by weekly quests. That just has had generic stuff, never any class gear. It is totally useless.

On range use: I agree with you. At higher difficulty, you will be using range fire to suppress and kill certain ranged types or to hack off chunks of mobs. What I meant was that the game is not a FPS game where killing enemies is primarily done with ranged fire outside of the early difficulties. Trying to do so will just over tax ammunition supply. The game still is very focused on melee. Put another way, it is closer to Vermintide 2+ than Left 4 Dead 2. The translation to 40k does not mean it’s a shooting game now as some claim.

On variation: Yes, you can point to the Psyker and make all kinds of claims, but I argue, outside of statistical tweaks, Darktide mostly breaks down to Psyker vs not the Psyker gameplay. This is much more so than the launch state variety of Bright Wizard vs not the Bright Wizard of Vermintide 2.

Is anyone playing a Psyker? If so, what are your thoughts?
I have not done much to engage tier 3+ difficulty, but I do think they are under-powered. The wind up for head-pop is too slow, and the burn cost for a lot of things seems quite high.

Mostly I also think the talents are garbage, especially anything dealing with soul-burn which does a pathetic amount of damage or ‘warp charges’.

I just started one and I agree they’re terrible at the lower levels. But when I play with one with my high level ogryn, they can do some amazing shit. Catch entire hordes on fire or stun them with a chain lightning that would put the Emperor from Star Wars to shame. I can’t wait.

Sad but what are you going to do. literally unplayable for me :(

Your Microsoft Store refund has been processed

We have refunded the order you placed on November 6, 2022. You should see USD 64.19 credited to your account soon.

Order details

Item description Quantity Price

64xauto Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - Imperial Edition

By: Fatshark

My pysker is now 21. Just ran my first 3+ difficulty map. Loved it. I found myself switching between lightning staff and head pop constantly. The charged attack for the lightning stun is super useful in the higher tier difficulties. Head pop is a must on the special mobs for sure. I use force sword for my melee but don’t use it much in a good group.