Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor - Martyr

The skills in the middle portion of the trees seem to require you to get all of the attached skills first, meaning you have to work in from two or more corners to get a lot of the better skills. It’s not necessarily a bad idea, just poorly illustrated or documented. Like, um, everything else in the game.

I mean, i really do like it, but it seems like they figured their success with a B-tier ARPG like Van Helsing prepared them for a major license game with AAA pretensions (at least, the audience sure is treating it like they expected a AAA game). Unlike Blizzard, who though it took a year were able to resurrect D3 successfully, I’m not as confident Neocore can rally the troops enough to keep this one from crashing and burning. These sorts of games need ongoing support I think, a lot of it.

For instance, this one direly needs more tilesets, and more imaginative locations. I get that 40K is a neo-Gothic sort of thing, but, um, not every location that’s not a mining planet or what seems to be a parade ground or the site of a Roman triumph has to be a freakin’ cathedral. There’s a lot more variety in the 40K universe in terms of architecture, particularly internals. Color would be nice, too, to go with the sometimes even garish figurines of the tabletop game.

And for the sake of the Emperor, more and more diverse and appropriate barks for the Guardsmen and enemies. If I hear “Don’t linger, Guardsmen!” one more time…

I’m still lurking and playing when there’s a slot available.

evilekim

You’ve been added! The Emperor approves!

Finished the story campaign on my Psyker, at level 28, power level 707 after the loot from the last mission.

One non-spoiler PSA: if you have self-buffs, like the spell you cast which saves you from a killing blow, or even a force field from a belt item, it will be stripped from you every single time you have a cutscene/interaction, like with a cogitator. It really sucks, because combined with the game’s idiotic insistence that you run up to bad guys to talk to them and then go into combat right then while you are up in their grill, well, doing that with no buffs on makes for some frantic scrambling. It’s simply inconceivable how some of this stuff made it through QA.

That being said, the story is pretty good, very much 40K. I did cheese it a bit at the end, using one of those +50% damage for five mission things for the last four missions simply because I couldn’t be bothered to grind out a few more power levels to mitigate the penalties for the higher-level of the final missions.I just AoE’d everything to the Abyss and back (which I could have done without the buff, too, but it was more fun this way).

We’re all agreed Psykers are OP right? Because I just roflstomp just about every level with hardly any pauses except to melt faces off bosses.

I’m playing a Psyker without using the AoE bugged skill and finding it challenging. Definitely feels like a glass cannon.
Only level 9 so maybe later it will become easy mode as I get more skills and more points in the trees.

You don’t need that allegedly bugged skill to kick butt with AoE, though. AoE is simply super powerful. But then, that’s what wizards/mages or the equivalent generally do in all ARPGs. The trade off is usually single-target DPS. The Psyker, though, gets the molten beam, and combined with all the abilities or perks you can get that give you either damage reduction or increased damage–or both–while channeling that puppy, you get the best of both worlds. The drawback for the Psyker is mobility, as it is the slowest of the bunch, with few mobility options. There are a few one-handed swords with a “teleport to target” type ability, but that’s pretty much what you don’t want to do with a squishy mage.

If you want to see OP, try a melee Assassin with the Carthean sword. With the right perks and gear, it’s like an unstoppable food processor, except it processes Chaos baddies…

What did you use for AoE at lower levels? I don’t get Firestorm for 4 more levels or Haemorrhage for another 6 levels.

Hmm, other than the basic Pyro staff, yeah, I guess I didn’t start to AoE until I got the big stuff. Before that I used mostly that beam I guess. And 'nades.

Yeah I’m using the Pyro staff with mostly heat skills right now. It’s working OK so far.

Just tried to make an Inoculator that showed as three red boxes. When I made it the thing had two yellow boxes and one green. WTF?! So is this broken too?

Edit - According to Steam this is a know bug. Grrrrr…

Sure are a lot of known bugs…

And a host of unknown bugs? There are the bugs we know, the bugs we don’t know, and the bugs we know we don’t know…

dashed skills tend to have an actual effect and not just a % increase to something. the solid one requires all three paths to it to unlock it. It’s kind of like the bonus skill reward for mostly maxing the tree .

Frankly, a lot of the Psyker’s power is just in pure power. Dual warp rods running the basic warp fire and which fire weapon skills along with self buffs, the critical tree, some cool down, and a few perks and…stuff melts. The extra actual spells like molten beam, fire storm, constrict, etc. are just gravy. I find the dual rods themselves do so much of the work. Find an enemy group, witch fire, fire a blast of warp fire or two on stragglers and maybe add more of your spell of choice to commanders. Then just teleport and full movement skill tree to your next victims. It’s nuts.

There are some rougher spots early before gear and crits are doing their thing (6 to 10ish). Then molten beam (for me) can carry through the teens. At that point, the Psyker is just getting stronger and stronger with basic weapon skills and self buffs.

Will take a look at rods again. I went with the staff for the extra skill of choice, but maybe it doesn’t matter if the rods are better with what they offer by default.

Witchfire is your friend. I used to run staff but now I run a pair of rods instead for the extra AoE.

I run a pyro staff and 4 buffs plus bio-lightning

Wouldn’t that work better with one less buff and one more AOE?

Don’t need another AoE. Pyro staff and Bio-Lightning alternated is about as fast as you can attack with global cooldowns anyway. Also I sometimes run the 10% damage per buff (40% damage) and each buff runs 10% damage and/or 10% movespeed passive. End result is I’m at 70% or so damage and 30% movespeed all the time plus the buffs have 100% uptime. It’s quite good. Buffs are usually Endurance for 15% less damage taken, the one that gives ranged deflection (which is either 25 or 40 depending on which tooltip you believe lol), one that doubles damage on the first shot on each target (which allows bio-electric to usually one shot even power stuff), final one is flexible, been using the armor pen one to kill bosses better.