Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor - Martyr

Yeah I just learned the entire Inquisitor team is maybe five people, so this doesn’t surprise me. Sorry.

Also do you have a link to this?

Not a direct one. It was from a post on Reddit by someone quoting a “Marco” on the official forums I think.

Got it thank you.

I picked this up a few weeks ago. It’s great! I am having a blast with my Psyker, running a full warp-heat, Unhinged Bio-Lightning build. I teleport around and fry stuff like a young Palpatine on meth. It is sublime. Currently at level 98.

Dammmnnn I’ve never gotten to that high a level! Well done!

The two weeks of 100% XP and the pile of Meme Virus’s they dropped on everyone last week help ;)

I feel this game is clunky-adorable - I of course love the ridiculous extreme-ness of 40K so the setting was a winner, but somehow the game felt a bit clunky so I even returned it on Steam. But somehow I just couldn’t get it out of my head, so I’ve been back again, and every time I boot it up it gets better. And then I found a succession of increasingly awesome weapons and realised maybe the issue was that I was trying too hard to work chainsword-pistol, what I needed was relaxing ranged shooting. Grenade Launcher, Flamer, Melta, Multi-Melta and then I put on a Heavy Bolter and realised - what I really wanted was more DAKKKA. I don’t think it’s a particularly special one (also, Green > Blue?! Somehow I feel that the convention is the other way around?) but the sound and the volume of fire is just what I was looking for.

I’m pretty sure if they had opened with that weapon, I would have been sold right off the bat.

Yes my enjoyment of this game is 100 percent weapon feedback based.

Yay glad you stuck with it!

I have to say that your enthusiastic posts kept it on my radar!

Yeah, I’m a huge fan of the weapon designs now. Might be just my experience but when I started paying more attention to the details of the weapon skills I started getting a lot more out of them - you get huge rewards for properly matching the right skill for the job, and there’s not quite intuitive nuances to them. And a lot of the skills are exactly what I want - just trying the shotgun today and wow, I want a rapid fire shotgun mode - that’s skill 2! I need a single target huge damage - that’s skill 4! And for a while I was wondering why you would ever use the heavy bolter’s weak explosion skill 4 until I read it more carefully and whoops that thing is a channeled skill so it’s actually rapid fire explosions if you hold it down!

I love the manstopper round so much. I’ve tried all the builds and my god the Assassin Shotty is so my jam.

these bastards have decided that the next-gen upgrade for console is full price retail standalone and not an upgrade at all. basically would have to pay full price to buy the game for the third time (PC, Xbox, Xbox again)

They really do seem to be screwing over console players repeatedly. I can’t complain too much as my copy was a GWG perk, but if I’d paid for it l’d be pretty pissed off by now.

That’s not cool. Hopefully they’ll change tack on that.

Thats not a good look.

I do wonder though - the company doesn’t seem like its swimming in manpower nor money - They always have wildly ambitious games, but the execution is never top-notch the first time around, which to me suggests they aren’t a very large nor rich company - I could be wrong of course, but I do wonder if thats the reason for this kind of behaviour.

Update

You’re looking at what AA/A/B level games are these days. These kind of games are quietly making a comeback.

Yeah they aren’t a huge company, and the team working on Inquisitor, I’m told, is relatively small.

Thanks for the update Brian, this is good news that existing fans don’t have to buy the full game again.

Neocore are definitely one of my favourite developers (Deathtrap, Van Helsings, King Arthur etc) and the fact that Inquisitor finally got its act together (it had a very shakey start IIRC) and is now being supported on the current gen of consoles going forward.