Warhammer 40K is getting a new edition. It's time to join up!

Omg it’s Rob!

Skirmish is terrific. I have played with my Orks and had a wonderful time. Only took 45 minutes, too (rather than normal 4 hours)

The new Space Marines look awesome, but for me it’s a little bittersweet that they are so dramatically rescaled. I’d wager they are going to sunset the old marine models and that will make my army obsolete. Probably the end of the line for me in terms of maintaining a rules set and “playable force” for a while.

Not really a big loss for me in a practical sense since I am far more into the hobby than the game. Maybe once my Crimson Fists are painted the dust will have settled and I’ll start a new army, likely in Forge World.

Just wanted to get you guys’ opinion on something. I was working on a miniatures series, but at my local club we are starting an escalation league with the new rules. What that means is we are starting a new force from scratch , and slowly build up. This would allow me to display how to model, paint, base, and learn the new rules. I could report on the hobby from beginning to end. Any interest in that?

I think that sounds pretty cool. I don’t have the time, money or, let’s be honest, attention span to devote to putting together a miniature army but I’d like to know more about how it’s done.

Pictures please!

Count me as very interested! Like divedivedive, I don’t see myself ever diving (hah) into miniatures-based gaming, but I find the scene fascinating.

What happened to the “like” button?

Sounds like a great idea.

I like the idea of bigger space marines, as they will be easier for hacks like me to paint. I’m tempted to get the starter box for the marines, but I’m not sure I would enjoy painting the disease marines. The models look a little too busy.

The 40k rules seem dead simple to play. The real magic will be in the unit stats and abilities. I hope there is a nice game wrapped in how they interact.

For what it’s worth most of the Warmachine guys near me really like Sigmar a lot. It seems there is a lot of pretty complex synergy in the unit abilities that those folks dig. I suspect 40k will end up being pretty similar.

The new marines do look sweet, I just wish it was more of a new type of unit to run with a core of Space Marines as opposed the what really looks like a soft transition into new marines. Ah well.

What I’m really curious about is what this all means for Forge World and 30k. I really would like to do an all FW 30k army, but I’m not sure if a similar scale change will occur. Definitely going to wait and see what happens over the next few years.