Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

4-player co-op versus hordes of Skaven.

FatShark is the developer, so it could go either way.

Countdown on the website:

http://www.vermintide.com/

But I want to BE the skaven. They’re the best part of warhammer fantasy.

The messenger bowed low, pressing its muzzle to the floor. “Speak-speak” snarled the Grey Seer, too agitated to appreciate the fawning. “Unexpected complications, most powerful of potentates” said the Scurrier. Before the creature could finish, the Grey Seer sent bolts of lightning to roast him alive.

“Bad news can wait” thought the rat-mage, and it was always best to kill the messenger.

Well… you can BE the skaven in a little pvp game of Mordheim.

I too love the Skaven and keep thinking about picking up Mordheim, but the idea of co-op in Vermintide definitely gets my attention. Still, I feel like Warhammer (and Warhammer 40k) is (are) getting the Star Wars and Star Trek game treatment of the IP more times than not.

Fatshark is, while undoubtedly a competent studio, responsible for my single biggest gaming disappointment. Taking the War of the Roses game, and making it online multiplayer online with no mods, instead of what could have been a Mount & Blade contender.

While I adore the Warhammer universe, this leaves me cold I’m afraid. I do like Co-op games like in Mass Effect, but I need a game on top of it. Its like Fatshark only makes the part of a game, that other companies makes as an extra addition to the game itself.

War of the Roses was always intended to be a Chivalry: Medieval Warfare clone, not a Mount & Blade clone.

It really wasn’t - Originally they planned a singleplayer campaignas well, and was considering allowing modding…

There will be a single-player story-driven campaign designed to help players get into the multiplayer part of the game. Given the era and title, that’s fairly likely to involve you taking the part of one of the houses of Lancaster or York (White or Red Roses), as they butcher and intrigue their through 30 years of English history. The era saw the first introduction of gunpowder technology, meaning the once-impregnable castles of the Lords and Barons began to fall in short order.

All that aside, they did have a chance at something rather great, but decided to go the route of Battlefield istedet. Few games can do that, and I doubt their games currently have much longevity. Unlike, for instance, Mount & Blade, whose multiplayer is still going enormously strong, 5 years after release.

Oh, I thought it was a online game from the start…

The single player listed didn’t strike me as anything that wouldn’t be pretty much worse than M & B in every way. I figure they saw the competition and decided to cut their losses.

I agree, sadly. I just wish someone had the balls to take on that particular challenge, and for a moment, it looked like Fatshark had that.

Well, if it’s really like L4D, it will have a versus mode where you control Skaven.

I’m a sucker for anything with GW ip’s so I’ll keep an eye on it too.

Stockholm, Sweden - February 5th, 2015 – Independent developer Fatshark announced today the development of Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide, a co-operative action first person shooter and melee combat adventure set in the End Times of the iconic Warhammer Fantasy universe. Vermintide is scheduled for release in the second half of 2015, for Windows PC, the Xbox One, all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft via the ID@Xbox self-publishing program, and PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

In Vermintide, the city of Ubersreik is under siege as players select from a band of five heroes with different play-styles and abilities, all equipped with unique gear and personalities. Working together cooperatively, players must use their individual attributes to survive an apocalyptic invasion from hordes of relentless, power hungry Skaven, across a range of environments stretching from the top of the Magnus Tower to the bowels of the Under Empire.

“Combining gritty combat with cooperative multiplayer action, Vermintide will provide the player with a completely new perspective of the Warhammer Fantasy universe, through the eyes of the heroes they play,” said Martin Wahlund, CEO of Fatshark. “Staying true to the fantasy lore, with familiar foes and locations, we look forward to winning the hearts of enthusiasts and newcomers with this new take on the Warhammer story”.

The time of mortals is ending, and the reign of Chaos draws ever closer. The Dark Gods are at last united in a singular purpose, loosing their madness across the world as never before. In the Empire of Sigmar, Karl Franz’s gaze is focused on the incursion of the savage northmen, but it is not the only threat. As the Chaos moon Morrslieb waxes full, shrill voices echo through tunnels gnawed far beneath the Empire’s cities, and a Skaven host swarms towards the surface. It emerges first in the city of Ubersreik, a screeching mass that consumes all before it. Soon Ubersreik is a charnel-town, drowning beneath the malevolent shadow of the Horned Rat.

Yet even in the darkest times, there are always champions to light the way. As Ubersreik cowers, five heroes, united by capricious fate, carry the fight to the rat-men. It remains to be seen whether they have the strength to survive, let alone work together long enough to thwart the invaders. One truth, however, is beyond all doubt: should these five fall, then Ubersreik will fall with them.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiJj3Z6pu9s

Sounds cool to me. Bonus points for correct use of “loosing”.

-Tom, Lead and Gold fan

Man, I wish Lead and Gold had caught on better than it did with players.

The skaven are actually fielding 40k level technology these days, they just blew up one of the moons with a warplaser*, have man portable nukes that have taken out mountains and cities and the troops field projectile and beam weapons.

*yeah seriously, Lustria is gone and the last lizards had to fly their city off into space when the moon chunks rained down on them.

GDC video of a snippet of gameplay.

E3 trailer showing some new areas: https://youtu.be/plehIozXf8Q

I’m in the closed beta (via an Alienware key giveaway last week) that runs from noon ET today until 6 PM ET Wednesday. Anyone else get in and want to kill some Skaven together?

I’ve been watching various Twitch streamers play this over the preceding beta events and have to say it’s looking really solid. The classes seem to offer a nice variety of playstyles and the game itself is pretty nice looking. When it was announced I didn’t have a lot of hope for this but it’s looking like a solid fantasy L4D.

Hoping to play this coop with the wife, but I’m worried it may be too dark for her.