Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Per their Twitter feed:

Sigmar’s Blessing will soon fall upon Ubersreik

Hope it’s today!

The details for Sigmar’s Blessings (first free DLC that releases today) look impressive!

That looks like a pretty sweet update! Might be time to let Fallout 4 take a break and go back to smashing some ratties.

I’ve been playing this a lot during the past week and I think Fat Shark did a fantastic job! An inoffensive loot system, fantastic level design with really cohesive and creative visuals, and an all around fun take on the L4D2 formula.

Two minor critiques:

I enjoy the combat but I wish the melee strikes had more of a feeling of impact. I sometimes sense it, but it often feels like I am tearing through swarms of Papier-mâché rats. The nuances of the combat like shield blocks and heavy strikes help to hide the lack of impact, but not entirely.

I haven’t noticed any moments where I get a sense of dread and panic like I use to in L4D(2). L4D was one of the only MP horror games for me as it would induce a sense of dread and panic as I was low on ammo and health and being pressed against a wall by a swarm of zombies, and other players were also just as incapacitated or far away. I could start sensing the series of missteps, poor decisions, and bad luck that were all culminating and cascading into a painful moment of being overwhelmed by zombies or trapped by a special infected. Functionally/materially the same thing happens in Vermintide, but for some reason I don’t respond with the same emotions that I did in L4D. I know that is very subjective and might be due in part to being more familiar with the formula this many years on. It also might be due to player stakes: L4D maps seemed like a longer time investment (that could be a faulty memory and incorrect though). At most this a very subjective and minor nitpick.

I love this game and will certainly keep playing it. I hope Fat Shark is able to expand the content in the future.

-Todd

I’d agree on the lack of impact, swings feel very floaty and insubstantial.

Clipping issues are also weird in this game: sometimes you can block Skaven, sometimes you can’t. Sometimes Skaven bunch up on top of each other, sometimes they don’t.

I’ve been taking a break from Vermintide lately, but according to Steam I’ve put almost 80 hours into it, so I can’t say I haven’t gotten my money’s worth from it. :)

Last Stand game mode and two maps are coming at the end of February. The new game mode and one of the maps are free; the second map is not, but all players can play on it if the host owns it.

As a new player to this game, it is a total fail.

Almost no matches for normal/hard mode to be found, and if you find them more often than not you’ll have drop in-drop out as soon as they fuck up-players.

Good thing it was on a sale or it would have been a more expensive ‘loss’.

The one time I tried I had to start my own game but it filled up as I went and the other people scored all the collectibles and generally saved my ass.

Sorry you’re having a bad experience. I started as a new player a few weeks ago and had a decent time finding matches. You probably already saw this but I prefer using the server browser (pressing Esc) over the game’s matchmaking to better curate my experience.

That said it does look like the community is shrinking a little and leaning towards veteran players that play at the highest difficulty level. The current Steam sale might give a new injection of players though. Check back in after a few days.

I have a very unreliable gaming schedule due to work and life commitments but I would be willing to jump in with a QT3 group to help out new players.

-Todd

It will unfortunately always be the case with niche multiplayer games - If you are not in at the start, you will be behind on the curve, since little to no new blood will come to games like this. A shame, but Ive always said Fatshark should have added single player to their games, since they are going for the M&B crowd. That wound increase player count immensely, and thus, longevity, also for the MP part.

Yea, I’ll give it a few more tries.

If I managed to complete the ‘hard’ modes I would probably be able to find more players as they are all probably in the higher echelons of the game – and probably wouldn’t want a level 4 player joining them :)

Agree on the SP aspect. The time they’ve put into the artwork/soundscape would certainly be well suited for some SP stuff, and it would add a lot to the game.

Reminds me how MASS EFFECT 3 had pretty awesome MP that probably took them by surprise (I still have it installed for the MP), yet they also put a pretty decent SP game onto it. :)

I’d love to get in some more Vermintide. I only managed to play about 16 hours at release (mainly on the Dwarf, love the Dwarf) and never really ventured into hard all that much. Maybe if folks are interested we can set up a time, jump into voice chat and play Vermintide how it’s meant to be played.

I would certainly love to. I only played the once because it felt a little too long and involved to be doing a lot of with randoms, but a proper group would be cool. I can do weekends easiest but Monday, Tuesday or Friday evenings are usually options.

I’m always up for some Skaven killing, and have never ventured into Hard and above.

Me too! I mostly looked for nightmare games, back when I was good.

Drachenfels announced. Launches on May 26th.

• Castle Drachenfels - Walk through the ancient rooms of Castle Drachenfels, covered in the blood and bones of the past.
  • Summoner’s Peak - Foil the Skaven’s plan by destroying the Nurgle portals and put a halt to their reinforcements.
  • The Dungeons - Stumble your way through the dark and dingy dungeon of Drachenfels, avoiding traps and using torches to light your way through the darkness.
  • Traps
  • Torches to navigate the darkness

Sounds great to me! Would love to get back into smashing some rats.

A very nice 1.3 patch (and DLC) just dropped!

How is the singleplayer experience these days? I’ve only played a bit with randoms, and it was horrible.