Warhammer Fantasy Age of Sigmar reboot

During the last couple weeks, I have a played a couple low-point games of AoS. It is definitely more “beer-and-pretzels” than 40k, which tbh I’m perfectly ok with. It may not be as deep as some miniatures game out there, but it also plays much more smoothly and in half the time. Its also a relief not to have to check the rulebook every game for obscure rules (40k and warmachine, i’m looking at you two).

My skaven army is also really fun and challenging to play. And unlike my 40k Orks, they actually can win battles. I picked up this handsome little fellow after my game today. Can’t wait to use him!

I stupidly clicked on your link, laughed at the price, hopped over to their painting supply section and saw the ‘learn to paint kits’, laughed at the small paint bottles, and eventually found the Reaper Learn to Paint kits with 11 full sized paint bottles and 3 minis for ~$35 and now regret following said link (there are two kits - one just released last fall, with colors and brushes complimentary to the first kit so nothing is duplicated).

The only mini painting I’ve done has been with cheap craft-store paints (Delta Ceramcoat) which is a bit obnoxious but ‘real’ paints are pricey. These LtP kits look to be a nice answer to start a real paint collection. Augh.

Over the weekend, I went to the nearby nerd gaming store to look at PnP RPG stuff (hey @ArmandoPenblade!) and my son and I marveled at the prices on Warhammer merch. Just insane pricing.

Few things confuse and frighten me as much as Warhammer, and I played Magic on and off for like 15 years…

Also, hi @Telefrog. You and the kiddo have fun at ye olde nerd store?

Yes, but frankly, I was lost amid the clutter. So. Many. Minis.

Not going to defend GW pricing, but many miniature companies price their product the same, but with less quality than GW. Sure, its expensive to get a model and paints, but you get a lot of entertainment just putting the things together and painting them. That Hell Pit Abomination i bought took me about 2-3 hours to cut out, clean up, and put together. And I’ll probably spend more time painting it. Then I can use it in all further AoS games. As a bonus, it will look really awesome on my shelf.

One nice thing about AoS is that you don’t have to spend ridiculous amounts on a starter army. I made my 1000 pt army for only about $100, which is very cheap for a miniatures games, plus I still have a bunch of elves left over if I want to make another army in the future. This is something that 40k really needs to work on.

Yeah, minis games in general are pretty expensive. Still, if you get into he hobby side of it all it’s very rewarding and for me worth the money.

That said, as a game, between the free rules and lower model counts, I’d say AoS is off of the more economical games to get into these days.

Wow had to check to make sure, no more $75 rulebook and $40 army books? That is quite the change for GW. Almost makes me want to start up that Dwarf army I’ve always wanted, almost.

Yesssss…Yesssssss…Come join us brother…

So GW is doing a board/ card game release called Shadespire this weekend. It is a skirmish styled objective game based in Age of Sigmar. Usually, and since I discovered other systems, I avoid GW designs like the plague. However, this one looks pretty good. Some are comparing it to X-wing, but I think games like World of Warcraft the miniatures game, Krosmaster, or Golem Arcana are closer. Or maybe even something like Chaos Reborn for PC. That said, it does share a lot with X-wing, but the manuver templates are rather different.

Essentially it is an assymetrical skirmish (3 to 7 units) game played out on a small hex grid with deck construction that effects unit upgrades, power plays, and objectives in game. That is, the warband models are static per the warband, but what you can do with them are subject to how you build your deck before the game. There is custom dice play and modifiers similar to what you see in X-wing and certainly luck/strategy in draw/hand management. It’s super quick setup and play with seemingly a lot of meta in deck construction. Downtime is really low as players alternate single activations with 4 activations a turn.

Downsides? Being GW, the models look really nice, but there is assembly. I hate the hobby side of games. Shadespire models are super easy with “push to fit” (no glue needed) models that are a few pieces each. Also there is worry about endless buying meta for cards like X-wing. It looks to be cheaper than X-wing with fewer items and no duplicate chasing plus each expansion is an assymetrical warband that is cool to have in its own right like a Summoner Wars deck.

I’m fairly interested (despite it being GW). I’m even catching up on Warhammer Fantasy/ Age of Sigmar lore now. AoS is some really wacky stuff. I can see where the hate came from. It went from political intrigue and fighting the dying light of a Tolkien or Game of Thrones universe to… a sort of multi-dimensional, ultra anthropomorphized deity structure of Norse mythology mixed with Stargate. I can’t help but hear and see 70’s rock and van art when I think of golden super warriors riding the lightning to fight Chaos on elemental landscapes.

The initial box set is Sigmarites (fantasy space marines) and Chaos reavers. Two weeks after are expansion boxes for Ironjaw (orcs) and undead. Dwarf and Skaven expansion planned next, but no dates. Each box has faction (for that box) and generic cards with lots of extra cards for build options.

If anyone is interested, Rodney of Watch It Played did a how to play along with a game series.

Insert joke about the game being entirely about painting minis here.

Sometimes I think I’d play a game like this forever. Then I look at my stock Forza cars and realize the game would go unplayed.

With the success of Total Warhammer I kinda don’t understand an exclusive license to not Creative Assembly.

But who knows, I hope it’s good.

Now planned for 2023.

Time for a new edition!

Warhammer Age of Sigmar players are double mad after this announcement from GW.

Unfortunately, we can’t continue to sell and support every model we’ve ever made indefinitely. As we make new models, and new books to explore their background and rules, we have to stop producing and featuring some older models.

Two factions, Beasts of Chaos and Bonesplitterz, as well as a number of older Stormcast Eternals from the Sacrosanct and Warrior chambers, will be receiving free-to-download digital battletomes. These will feature new background and rules, and will be considered legal for use in competitive play until summer 2025. At this point they will move over to Warhammer Legends, and will no longer be supported for competitive play.

Additionally, a number of older Warcry and Warhammer Underworlds warbands for the Slaves to Darkness will go off sale and enter Legends.

Now, as the post notes, GW retiring units and updating rules is not new. Us old fogeys know that’s their core business model to keep the players buying.

It seems the amount of models being retired is fairly unprecedented for their mainline game. Additionally, their newest generation of players apparently were not aware that this is how the hobby works, because they are being quite vocal about their displeasure.

My prediction? They’ll lose a few folks, but the majority will just take it while they grumble.

Yeah, GW’s business model depends on them constantly releasing new models and armies, so eventually they have to retire older ones. The constant stream of new stuff to buy keeps their players invested in their brand and reduces churn (i.e.players trying out other games). This is supported by YouTubers and other online media who happily amplify the never ending stream of their product announcements.

The worst of this is that GW is pretty much the only company in their industry that can do this. It is extremely difficult for other companies in the industry to compete with them, even if they are offering comparable or better products.

That said, I don’t blame GW. It is a publicly-traded company and so its shareholders expect it to endlessly grow in what is still a relatively niche industry (miniature wargaming).

On a related note, I sold off my Skaven army a couple weeks ago. It turns out that about 90% of the models in it are being retired (though I bet many will get replacements), so it looks like I made the right decision.

And all that despite no shortage of commentary, even from current and retired WH players, that there are much better games out there with much less predatory business models.

But you kinda got to play what your friends play, or what is supported at your local FLGS.