Warhammer Online to model geometric collision

In fairness to Mythic, they did not make a big deal out of this collision stuff at all during the presentation. It was noticed by the people at the event. It wasn’t like they stood up on a milk crate and shoulted, “Look! collision detection!” I don’t even recall it being discussed by the Mythic folks.

That said, using a Black Orc or Dwarf Ironbreaker to defend a Rune Priest or Gobbo Shaman was definitely a smart tactic. As for spawn areas, in the battle we fought all the spawn areas were way outside the battlefield proper, so you had to run back into the fray. I don’t see anything wrong with a Black Orc guarding a passageway, though.

Granted, I won a bottle of ketchup labeled Stuntie Bludd so I’m admittedly a bit biased.

Yeah, I don’t remember Mythic toting this mechanic at all. I read about it a preview and found it an interesting thing to see in a MMORPG. Most of the other examples mentioned either don’t have PvP or aren’t RPGs. Meaning, they usually have simple means of working around the problem.

Unique Selling Point. YOU CUNT.

If by colassal failure, you mean smashing success, then absolutely, I agree with you!

Anyway, another preview I read noted that collision detection was only PVP areas.

I just watched the video explaining how the realm v. realm stuff is going to work and it sounded pretty good.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/podcast/files/Tir-RvR_explaination_final.html

Just let people push other models. Every time you get a player to player collision, bump one of them slightly. It works in other games.

What is there in WAR that makes it WoW-like? Asides from it being based on the source material that Blizzard lifted their visual aesthetic from.

Don’t talk to the troll.

Guild Wars has this feature, it really is awesome for PVP. Half the non-build strategy is based on body blocking.

Guild Wars has this feature, as did Saga over Ryzom (D&D online?) - it’s not unique, but it definitely adds something, and I’m sure will eventually become the norm.

Guild Wars has it strictly in PvP areas. Warhammer could do something similar.

But I still wonder how it works if there’s a 50 vs 50 huge battle. Even the latency becomes an obstacle.

And in CoH, it really adds a lot to the game. Your squishy blasters can fly up and away from physical proximity of enemies to avoid their powerful melee attacks, for example. It also lead to some of the most fun in the game: attacks that generated a ton of knockback and let you send people flying off rooftops, and over cliffs, or smacking into walls, etc. I can’t wait to see how this works in Warhammer.

What’s your problem, CCZ? Is it with the game, or the company? I gotta tell you, it comes off as pretty strange and trollish to be snarkily rooting for failure in threads where other people are discussing the game.