Warhammer Quest: iOS

Anyone know how experience gain is calculated?

I had thought, based on the final quest screen, that it was purely a function of kills (plus some healing), but I think it’s more complicated than that. I’ve been trying to get my wizard to level 6 and he’s having a hell of a hard time, even though I let him have all the big kills. My other warriors only “soften” up the big kills, leaving the last hit to the wizard. Yet, they often exceed him in XP.

I highly suspect that experience gain is based on, at least in part, damage dealt.

Seems likely that much like pinning they have reversed this in the app. Otherwise the Marauder would be hitting more often in ranged combat than the Wayfarer, and thus far that definitely does not match my experience. My guess is that they are doing something more like (Ballistic Skill + d6) greater than or equal to 6 hits. So Wayfarer with a skill of 3 hits on a roll of 3+, while the Marauder at a skill of 2 hits on a 4+. But that is pure speculation based on the mechanics of the board game and that stats shown in the game.

Yes, I am staring to suspect more than a few numbers are the same % but are reversed. Maybe that played into the ‘die rolls are hidden’ decision. I think the actual WoM formula might count down from a number rather than adding up.

As to experience, it has been a long time since I read the RPG book, but I think you placed models killed on your character sheet then added them up (by number) for exp at the end of a quest. From the UI of the iOS game this seems to match up. I have been able to level my guys in the app by making sure to send the lower WS guys after nicely lined up low WS/wound monsters so the hero can Deathblow through several monsters to help clear the room of trash and to get more “models on his character sheet”. I don’t recall healing playing into experience, but the UI makes me think it does. Again, it has been awhile on the RPG rules though.

I’m almost certain it’s something other than a purely number-killed based system. I’ve definitely had lower kill warriors gain more XP and by significant amounts. Whatever is affecting this, it’s been more noticeable at higher levels. I, too, had success intentionally setting up my wizard for some XP gain early on. That’s not working so well now, despite my best efforts to give him all the kills.

If we don’t have the answer by tonight, I will look it up when I get home.

My Wizard is level 4 and he is still cooking along (early on was the hardest for him). Also, whenever I can, I blast shadow bolt into a newly revealed room to nuke a fair amount of monsters as spell damage scales. He also has a pretty nice sword that boosts chance to hit in melee along with two melee attacks per turn. So spells plus melee nets him a lot of damage and kills at this point.

For Ballistic Skill in the iOS game, higher is definitely better than lower. Otherwise my Waywatcher has gotten worse as she’s leveled (she’s gone from BS of 3 to BS of 4).

Spells scale? With the level or with some other stat? I feel like the shadow bolt is almost useless now at level 4, since it only does ~6 damage it seems.

While I didn’t play the original board game, I did download the rulebook. From what I can tell, there was no experience model-- just a gold scoring system. In that gold scoring system, monsters are worth different amounts of gold (also seen in the iOS) version. It may be that the iOS version handles experience in the same way. What I’m curious about is whether it’s a kill-gets-all system or if it is pro-rated (purely or partially) based on damage dealt. I suspect the later, in view of the numbers I’m observing.

From the rulebook:

GOLD AND TREASURE

The Warriors’ goal lies at the end of the dungeon, but there is plenty of gold and treasure to be won along the way. Treasure can also take the form of useful magic weapons, potions, and other devices which may help you complete the quest.

GOLD

Every time a Warrior kills a Monster - either in hand-to-hand combat, with a missile weapon, or by magic - place the model on his Adventure Record sheet. Once all the Monsters on the board have been killed, the combat is over. The players can now trade in the Monsters their Warrior has slain for gold.

Each Monster is worth a certain amount of gold as indicated on the Event card. This is called the Monster’s Gold Value. Calculate the amount of gold your Warrior has earned and remove the slain Monsters from your Adventure Record sheet. Note down your gold total and gloat over your growing riches!

Some of the spell descriptions mention scaling with the wizard’s battle level. Hell, I’m not even sure what “battle level” is, exactly. I’m assuming character level. That said, I haven’t really observed a noticeable difference as I’ve progressed.

The “battle level” is indeed character level. The spells scale off of that it seems, but the stats of monsters scale off of what dungeon (city) hub you are questing from so it may not be that apparent. I can usually drop a group of spiders/rats/bats or at least kill a few and leave the rest rather hurt.

I just finished a level 4 suggested quest with level 4 heroes and the wizard pulled in 3500 exp. He had a hand full of Ork Boyz and trash mobs (plus healing) and had the highest exp of the group. There were some War Bosses mixed in but I could not tell who got them as the portraits looked the same.

I know event cards give gold, but what I can’t recall is if gold translates to battle level experience in the RPG book (a separate book that essentially has the campaign structure that the iOS game is mimicking) or if there was a different mechanic. I played a lot more single run games than campaign ones back in the day. Or campaign games tended to end brutally and just as quick as a single run more often than not (WHQ is a lot more Hobbesian than WHQ iOS).

Regardless of the dungeon, spiders/rats/bats that span always seem to have the same puny HP. Shadow bolt/dagger can still damage those, if they spawn, but the spells never seem to do any more at high levels. Shadow dagger sticks to the 1-2 damage range and bolt does 3-6 or so. They never seem to get any better.

On training in the board game, looking at the Roleplay Book, it looks like it is purely gold-driven (the battle-level tables only list gold as a requirement for training). The book mentions nothing about tracking experience. If this system is followed in the iOS game, it would be kill-only based, but with varying experience based on the monster’s level.

COST OF TRAINING

In the Warhammer Quest Role-play game, gold represents much more than the physical coins your Warrior finds during an adventure. It is also a measure of how well he is doing, as the more gold he has the quicker he can advance to the next Battle-level.

Bearing this in mind, you can think of gold as a success indicator. As such. Your Warrior may be awarded gold for all sorts of things, and not just for killing Monsters. He may be awarded gold for solving a particularly difficult problem, for instance, or for finishing the dungeon and coming out alive. Looking at the Battle-level table for your Warrior, you can see the amount of
gold it takes to advance him to the next Battle-level. Each time he goes up a Battle-level. his profile improves in some way, until eventually he reaches the peak of his career and becomes a Lord.

Looking at the Barbarian’s Battle-level table, for instance, you can see that he needs 2,000 gold to pay for the training from 1st to 2nd Battle-level. He then needs another 4,000 gold (for a total of 6,000 gold) to get to 3rd Battle-level, and so on. Bearing in mind that killing 12 Giant Bats will earn him just 180 gold, he has a lot of work to do to reach even the 2nd Battle level! To get to 10th Battle-level the Barbarian needs a staggering 195,000 gold!

The golden rule is that if your Warrior does not have enough gold to pay for training, he can’t train: and if he doesn’t train he can’t go up a Battle-level.

I’m fairly certain there are items which add to the per-turn power. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense for the cloak on the left with +1 Power to be an Uncommon item with the hat on the right with +4-6 Power Store and +3 Max Wounds to be common:

Gold for exp thing: Cool. We must have just stacked miniatures on our character sheets to remember what we killed and then converted it to gold. Thanks for the information.

Ydejin: First, I LOVE that hat. My wizard has been sporting it for a long time. I have not seen that robe though and what you say makes a lot of sense especially with the terms of “power” rather than “power store”. If I ever bump into a + power item I will have to throw it on a few turns and see if it seems to adjust WoM rolls. Although that cloak could just be a plus to starting power whereas the common version of it adds 1 wounds or toughness (reserve power is a pretty big deal) and the uncommon hat might add 5 to 10 wounds plus 6 to 9 power or something. I could be wrong, but i think stats on an item are established by rarity teir and what graphic the item has (so far I get the best stats out of head gear and weapons). I guess I need more investigation/ playing time…ah darn. :)

Like I said above, +Power is definitely a bonus to the Winds of Magic result. My wizard has been rocking a green +1 Power/-1 Toughness (or possibly Wounds but I think Toughness) hat for multiple dungeons now and where the starting spread is 2-6 power on non-event turns, he now gets between 3 and 7.

Note: I’m pretty sure that character level also increases the Winds of Magic roll. Has your character leveled up during the time you’ve used the hat?

Nope. Still level 1.

From RodeoGames Twitter Account: Winds of Magic is "1D6 + additional hero level [past level 1], making the Level 6 Grey Wizard equation 1D6 + 5

After an evening of testing I confirmed a few things. Despite the journal saying the opposite, spells don’t scale; in actuality the damage stays the same, but you can cast more of them as your power pool increases. I did track down a plus to power item and it definitely bumped my maximum roll up for WoM, but I can’t say it seemed like I had higher rolls overall (although I could have been).

I am one quest shy of completing all of the main quests (at about 15 hours played) and since it is a level 2 one, I feel I can accurately say I was surprised at the “end game” scaling. The early part is the most WHQ-like and once I had momentum nothing presented too much of a threat. They seem to hold back the real whammies for level 4 and 5 quests, but by then my party was so strong that it didn’t matter if the game wanted to toss a few vicious trolls at me or not. I am temped to retire my party and try some of the later stuff with a fresh group.

Of the base classes, MVP was definitely the Wizard both for raw damage and healing and the LVP was the Maurader early game and the Dwarf late game (although he was the least geared). It would have been the ranger until she gained an item that bumped her up to 3 bow attacks per turn with a rather nice master crafted bow that had solid damage.

For my first game (all warriors currently at lvl 5), I’m finding the marauder head-and-shoulders above the rest. Dwarf is the crappiest. Elf coming in solidly in second with wizard doing a fair job at third.

I have the maurader using a masterwork knuckleduster to take advantage of his battle blades skill (good chance of double attacks on first round of new combat) and for the increased chance to hit. He’s got a WS of 5 and strength of eleven. Base melee attacks of 4. If his beserker and battle blades trigger on the first round (which happens fairly often), he gets 9 melee attacks, doing about 14-ish damage per attack. None of my other warriors come even close to that output. Fairly durable, too, with a toughness of 7 and 48 wounds.

Dwarf is a piece of crap.

Personally, I’m finding my favorite to be the waywatcher and the maurader (with everyone also at level 5). My waywatcher has 4 ranged attacks per turn now and 2 melee attacks. The maurader has base of 3 melee attacks, with a chance to have significantly more.

I finally got the dwarf a weapon where he can do a fair amount of damage, but he still only has 2 attacks per turn and misses a lot. I don’t use the grey wizard for much anymore besides sitting back and healing everyone at this point, or if I need someone to finish off a weakened monster.