WarioWare, Inc. Mega Microgame$

WarioWare is an entire game made up of mini-games. It’s not like Mario Party, where there’s a board game and you play mini-games to achieve things on the board, it’s just minigames (two hundred of them). Stress the mini, these things run for about three to five seconds each.

Almost all of these games are reflex tests, and often the real challenge is figuring out what you’re supposed to be doing. The game gives you a quick hint just as the game starts, although some of these things are so far out there that you have to play them once or twice to figure out what’s going on. Each mini-game has varying degrees of difficulty, so each time you see it it’ll be just a little bit harder.

The mini-games themselves are…hard to talk about. I know they’ll just sound inane if I try to go into detail. Protect a cat from the rain with a floating umbrella? Help a weeping girl suck the dripping snot back into her nose? Catching toast as it flies out of a toaster? But when you throw them all together and jump from one to the next so quickly it just works. There are a number of Nintendo moments thrown into the mix: stomping on goombas, dodging cars in F-Zero, killing viruses in Dr. Mario, dodging barrels in Donkey Kong, etc. One of the boss battles is a quick fight from Mike Tyson’s punch out.

Remember that thread where some people were saying that they’d never buy a game they could finish in a day? Yeah, those people shouldn’t buy this. Although I reached the end of the game, I’ve only played just over half of the mini-games so far and there are a few things left to unlock. I’m really not sure how long I’ll play this game, but it’s been extremely fun so far, so those of you who said they’d pay for a short game if it was all action and no slow boring parts, it’s time to buck up.

Hey, and the instruction manual is awesome, it comes with stickers! You can put them on your $200 joystick and pretend that flight simulators are fun! It even hints at some unlockable Nintendo games, showing a shot of the Dr. Mario menu screen. So far I’ve just unlocked some two-player WarioWare mini-games. You play simultaneous on one GBA, each player using a shoulder button. I guess that could get crowded, but hot chicks like videogames now, right? Maybe this is my way in…

Whether or not it improves your dating prospects, WarioWare rocks. Quirky, funny, original, intense, all of that good stuff. RoN can bite my ass, this is the game of the month.

:lol:

It’s also only $24.99 at Best Buy this week.

–Dave

This game is seriously, terminally kickass. Even all my non-game-playing friends love it, which is pretty cool, mainly because of the easy to understand games and bite-sized chunks of gameplay.

Someone said the US version has been minorly censored, something to do with… poop? :P Not sure.

Well there is a chapter where you have to help the scientist who drank something he made flush the toilet 15 times, so maybe it was in there. Fine by me, though, more things should have the poop edited out of them before I play/watch/read about them.

It is great for the non-gamers, too. My sister never plays video games (computer games either, semantics fans :P ) and she wouldn’t give the GBA back last night. The controls are simple (d-pad and A button only) and there’s never a dull moment. The don’t give you a chance to get bored with it.

And I love the animated sequences before and after each level, they look really great and some of them are pretty funny. Awesome, awesome, awesome game. Between this and Aria of Sorrow it’s been a great month for the GBA.

Whether or not it improves your dating prospects, WarioWare rocks. Quirky, funny, original, intense, all of that good stuff. RoN can bite my ass, this is the game of the month.

This is $29.99 I can never have back, and I blame Cathcart. I finished the entire game in three hours.

The premise is somewhat interesting, but the actual games are not. It really is shovelware crap. Putting shovelware crap inside a parody of shovelware crap isn’t worth thirty bucks. In that sense it’s much like the movie Adaptation.

All that, plus unskippable cut scenes. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t laugh out loud a few times during some of the more nutty mini-games, but overall, you’re better off playing online Flash games and using that thirty bucks to buy a copy of Advance Wars.

I gotta force myself to play demos before buying sight unseen based on Q23 recommendations. I’ve been burned too many times now, and dammit, I should know better.

I don’t think this is a game that you just “complete.” Besides the fact that once you’ve finished the main campaign, there’s quite a few minigames that still need unlocking, the whole point of the game is it’s snippets of classic Nintendo games that many would call timeless in their simplistic yet addicting gameplay. If you downloaded MAME, played a few oldies, then never touched it again, then it probably explains why you don’t like WarioWare.

This is a perfect GBA-on-the-go game - pick up, play for quick fun or to beat a high score, and snap shut on a moment’s notice. Advance Wars is also like that, admittedly, with its save anywhere function, but no reason you can’t own both.

the whole point of the game is it’s snippets of classic Nintendo games

Say no more. I should have filed this with the GameCube in my “of interest only to hopelessly nostalgia-addled Nintendo freaks” folder.

The fact that you even have that folder tells me all I need to know…

From the folks I’ve talked to (who convinced me to buy my yet-unopened-damned-deadlines) copy of Warioware, though, you’re in the minority.

Nice thing about GBA games is you can try almost any of them on the emulator – they tend to get posted to the GBA newsgroup about the same time they hit stores. Alas, I can never be bothered to do that…

“snippets” of gameplay is vastly misstating exactly what you get to do in this game. All the segments (except for the unlockable minigames and the rare 15 second end boss challenge) last about three seconds. So you mindlessly avoid a few vehicles in a poorly rendered version of F-Zero, then proceed to the next mindless segment. In some of them all you do is mash the A button repeatedly.

It’s also annoying that you can complete some of the segments nearly instantly, then you still have to wait for the stupid 3 second bomb level countdown timer to tick down to zero.

It’s an interesting concept, but it isn’t a very interesting game. You’ll have to decide which is more important to you. It’s really more of a true kids’ game, I think-- simple, and virtually no depth.

p.s. 9.1 review on GameSpot, my ass!

the whole point of the game is it’s snippets of classic Nintendo games

I disagree, those are just a nice touch.

No Target near you, Jeff? It’s 25 dollars there, but clearly worth fifty. I’m surprised that you bought a game on my recommendation, but I’m really surprised that it was this game. I actually thought while I was playing it (no lie) “wumpus would hate this game”, but since I figured you would just skip over this thread I did not point that out. From now on I will include my Expected wumpus Enjoyment Value ™ whenever I talk about games.

Unskippable cut-scenes? Why would you want to skip them, they’re awesome! They’ve got cute little characters, and funny guys that have to go to the bathroom, and wacky buildings. [StrongBad]Oh, that’s starting to sound pretty good.[/StrongBad]

The premise is somewhat interesting, but the actual games are not. It really is shovelware crap. Putting shovelware crap inside a parody of shovelware crap isn’t worth thirty bucks. In that sense it’s much like the movie Adaptation.

You’re talking about it like we’re supposed to evaluate the two hundred mini-games as a stand-alone product. Of course they’re not masterpieces, and of course they’re not all that great, you only play them for a few seconds each! How much complexity could there really be? The fun of it is that they just keep throwing these games at you and you need to figure out what the hell is going on and then do something about it quickly. They get more difficult each time you see them and you have less time to beat them, which adds to the challenge.

It’s not a deep game at all. Kinda shallow, really, but fun shallow (like Armageddon, without the jingoism!). I’m skeptical of your whole summary there, it sounds to me like you just played through the games required to finish the story and then put it down. That’s like saying Tetris is boring because the blocks fall too slowly on the first ten levels. I really liked going back and playing parts of the game after I had already completed them, because you get to see a lot of the mini-games that you missed the first time through, and it will just run until you miss four times. That’s where the real challenge kicks in, and you can spend hours trying to beat your own top scores and unlocking the extras.

PS: wumpus.com says you’re totally wrong.

Virtually every reviewer gave it 90%+

In case it wasn’t clear enough in the other thread, I’d like to restate it again: wumpus is wrong. Factually, as well, too, since the cutscenes are skippable.

Of course Wario Ware doesn’t have state-of-the-art ultra heeby jeeby mumbo jumbo play mechanics! That’s the point, you’re playing games simple enough to be learned and cleared in seconds. Its refreshing to have so many different goals and so much variety in one game. And yes, many of them are variances of timing in one way or another, but all of them differ in the techniques and concentration that will be required to really master them. For instance, among the “aiming thing in screen as it passes down a 3D plane” there’s one where you’re a Superman type avoiding skyscrapers and one that plays like F-Zero, avoiding cars and the side of the road. As the play gets faster, the differences between these rather similar concepts become heightened, they’re really different beasts altogether. That’s one of the brilliant things, the games are tweaked so that when you’re going out of your mind with how unbearably fast, you know you could still better your past score and its addictive, like a drug. You feel the rush of getting to, like, 350 in Jump Forever and you’re like, “Next time, that maniac difficulty won’t get ME down.”

You do have to have puzzler/racer/shmup type of singleplayer competitive mindset to get the most out of the game because its lasting quality is due to that “shaving seconds off your lap” type of feel you get in a good racer. It must be said, that everything that could possibly be done with these games is done with them. After you’ve won the story modes, you can go back and replay games in a method where you can earn extra lives, which is quite a bit more random than playing the same game repeatedly seeing how fast you can take the action. There are extra challenge towers that are a bitch even to advanced players and the concentration that the hardest, fastest levels of the game take goes way beyond your normal game. Zen state indeed. Plus you can open up all sorts of branch off games including a full Dr. Mario (Dr. Wario) set and try for high scores in each of the more than two hundred games. On top of this, you have to replay each story mode at least a couple of times in order to open up all the games, you’ll only get about 70% your first time through. The boss games are also quite a bit different than the normal variety.

Overall, the randomness and sheer madness of what’s going on make the game: its simple, but addictive and demands concentration and some mad skill the faster it gets. Plus, you’ll probably never play another game that demands that you shift sets of skills and gameplay expectations so quickly and so much.

-Kitsune

Of course, the best Wario Ware review on the 'net can be found here:

http://www.caltrops.com/pointy.php?action=viewPost&pid=12144

DON’T MAKE THE DOG CRY!

~MJK

That was a brilliant and very telling review Matt. My eyes have been open! :shock: Kudos for the link.

Wario Ware doesn’t have state-of-the-art ultra heeby jeeby mumbo jumbo play mechanics!

And with that, Kitsune, it’s safe to say you’ve mastered the English language. :D

Factually, as well, too, since the cutscenes are skippable.

With what button? I mashed every button on the GBA frantically through every single one, because I despise cutscenes. Is there some kind of hidden button I have to dismantle my GBA to press?

Perhaps you’re referring to repeat plays of the same characters? I’m certain the first pass is unskippable.

It’s not a deep game at all. Kinda shallow, really, but fun shallow (like Armageddon, without the jingoism!). I’m skeptical of your whole summary there, it sounds to me like you just played through the games required to finish the story and then put it down. That’s like saying Tetris is boring because the blocks fall too slowly on the first ten levels.

Well, to each his own, but WarioWare lacks the fundamental strategic depth of Tetris, much less Advance Wars. Making the games faster isn’t going to fix that.

This may be a fine little mindless game for the kids, but it lacks any substance or replay value for adults. Once you’ve seen all the mini-games, the entire “shock 'em with some crazy new three second gameplay” premise goes out the window. And it wasn’t even that great to begin with.

My copy will be on eBay within a week, if anyone wants it.

I haven’t figured out how to skip cutscenes, unless I have to do some crazy button combo…
That said, the game’s great. Wumpus, most of the fun lies in beating your previous (or other people’s) scores. You go into the Thriller mode or whatever (with all the really hard games) and try to beat like.,… 20. It’s practically impossible.