Warlords Battlecry 2: I don't get it

I love all these threads where people don’t understand why great games are great. Discussion is fun.

It’s true the races aren’t restricted in class, but since only a handful of factions get access to Mana regeneration trchs, it really is tough to play a dwarf mage. That being said, Warlords Battlecry the protectors does some interesting things with the game.

I should try it then and you know what ?
Warriors are insanely strong sometimes ignoring your powerful spells he will roflstomp your hero and destroy your base in less than a minute I had some very frustrating moments with this game:D

Yeah its hard to play a dwarf mage for not having summon mana if you dont have some artifacts which has increase mana regen ability I agree with you.

If you want, we do weekly comp stomps. I don’t think we have played either WBC2 or 3 yet.

Doesn’t Battlecry 2 have the superior dynamic campaign? Or am I misremembering? I recall some reason to harumph and mutter that Battlecry 2 is better than 3, but I forget what the reason actually is.

-Tom

It is. There are several mods that port the WBC 2 campaign into WBC 3.

Personally I like wbc 2 campaign more.

I completely conquered with Fey. It all depends upon the character build though. IIRC you have to build your hero to focus alot on GOLD economy buildup. The thing with fey is that i remember the synergy of the gold and that they focus alot on gold only units made it easy to rush to high tier units in match against the AI. so once you reached a certain hero level you can literally rush to high tier units in minutes (the fey high tier units weren’t the best but could be reached very early). It literally became too cheap a tactic… I played with other heroes for fun. same tactic worked in WBC3 for they fey.

also the retinue units i had for fey were all high level wisps (and some treants/unicorn etc), they made getting resources easy.

I really liked the warlords games, Warlords IV is underrated too. they only make puzzle quest games now though… sucks.

Damn I have lost a duel today hero vs hero the condition was if I win the reward will be Sirian Greatsword :( I dont know if it was an artefact sword…

God why isn’t there a modern RTS that heavily leverages the heroes/strategic map from WCB2/etc.

Me and my friends were pretty hopeful that Warcraft 3 was going to be such a game. Which is why we all excitedly bought it.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be nothing like WBC2/3. Instead, each hero had to start from scratch on each map, and the AI was not designed to lessen micromanagement, etc. It’s our fault for going in with false expectations, but we were pretty devastated.

In sort of fairness, the original design for WC 3 did sound like something in that vein. But Blizzard wound up scrapping that.

Wbc is a very unique game with lots of replayability and different combinations strategies thats why you dont get boring and even a few years later you will get back to it :)

Because MOBAs. :(

-Tom

Yeah :/

I still hate how DoW 3 turned out. Relic are good people. Watching the multiplayer it seemed like they weren’t trying to moba-ize it precisely but it felt a bit influenced. Meh.

I tried running WBC3 and it didn’t do so well on my machine. I played with settings but was getting a lot of crashes. Makes me not even want to try with 2 (which I recall as having a superior campaign as well).

This stand-alone mod might work better for you.

It did not, alas. Mind you I’ve only played it a bit. I had a couple of crashes and then made choices that dumped me into a seemingly unwinnable scenario of 2 heroes versus a big blob of dinos.

I’ll probably try it again at some point, though.

Some aspects of the hold up, but not all of it. An updated version of the game would be great, but I wonder how much that would cost in development compared to the market.

Yeah, this pisses me off. The world needs the next great real-time strategy game that can suck in the MOBA playerbase. I think there’s a design someone could come up with to do it. We need some kid to discover Age of Empires II, Age of Mythology, Warcraft II, Command and Conquer, etc. and have an epiphany on how to build a new game that respects the old but offers something totally fresh. Sigh.

Well, we have those games still, and we can still play them. What we need is for every day folk to start tournaments to get people to play RTS games again…