Warlords Battlecry III...from Enlight?

Weird news:

Hong Kong, (Aug. 27, 2003) - Enlight Software, a leading publisher and developer, announced today it has obtained worldwide rights to publish the next installment in the Warlords Battlecry series, Warlords Battlecry III. The Warlords Battlecry series has received editorial praise and awards from leading game magazines and web sites around the world.

Developed by members of the original Battlecry team who evolved into Infinite Interactive, Warlords BattleCry III will take the award-winning series to the next level. The latest installment will feature a variety of enhancements including new terrains, races, hero classes, and spheres of magic. To further increase gameplay depth and flexibility, Warlords BattleCry III will also contain an innovative new hero development system.

“As we expand our publishing activities around the world, we will increase our efforts to identify unique brands in the market that have loyal customer bases,” said Trevor Chan, CEO of Enlight. “The Warlords Battlecry brand is well respected and gamers around the world are eagerly awaiting this next release. Based on Infinite Interactive’s past innovations in combining the RTS and RPG genres, we are confident that Warlords BattleCry III will be one of the most detailed and diverse titles in the market when it is released.”

“We are excited to be partnering with Enlight on our next addition to the Battlecry series,” said Steve Fawkner, President of Infinite Interactive. “Enlight is dedicated to creating and publishing unique and genre bending titles and we look forward to developing a strong relationship through this title as well as other future projects.”

WarlordsBattleCry III is set for release in Q2 of 2004 and will be available for PC. For more information visit http://www.enlight.com/wbc3.

Trevor Chan is the guy who makes interesting games no one wants to play.

All they need is a new art staff. Slap some Warcraft-style “edgy” fantasy graphics on WBC2, and they might actually “move some units” (ho ho - that’s good stuff, folks!).

Warcraft had ‘edgy’ graphics? I didn;t know Disneyesque was edgy. BTW, I liked Warcraft III for the most part.

etc

Edgy in the sense that those nasty polygons could really cut you.

The graphics were pretty sharp thats for sure!

etc

Maybe they could pull off something both silly and edgy, sort of like Warhammer’s style (a great mix of the two, I think).

Not sure what the gripe about the existing Battlecry graphics is all about. I always thought it was pretty well done. You could tell the units and the effects apart and they were as crisp as they needed to be. I liked the font style and feel of the universe as well.

I agree. Personally I thought Battlecry’s graphics were better than WC3. Just a matter of taste probalby, but they felt a lot cleaner.

I’m glad to see tham announce another Battlecry RTS, since it was one of my favorites of the last couple of years.

It’s gotta be a matter of taste, because I cannot stand Battlecry’s bland graphics. Yeah, they’re extremely clean, and… they’re absolutely devoid of anything interesting. Call me a graphics whore if you must (for what ti’s worth I think Battlecry is definitely a better game than WC3), but games made in 2003 probably should not look like they’re designed to run well on 80486 machines.

Personally I didn’t like WC3’s graphics, too blocky and clunky. I like my fantasy stratrgy games in 2D. I mean come on, Kohan, WBC2, Seven Kingdoms II, and AOW are all 2d, and I liked them a LOT better than WC3.

They were dull and uninteresting, and the maps were large, featureless expanses. Exploration in Battlecry was completely unengaging. Warlords IV has the same problem, with the added bonus of crappy unit art (Battlecry had some nifty-looking units, at least).

I agree. Personally I thought Battlecry’s graphics were better than WC3. Just a matter of taste probalby, but they felt a lot cleaner.

I’m glad to see tham announce another Battlecry RTS, since it was one of my favorites of the last couple of years.[/quote]

I’m glad I’m not alone. I like the graphics style in WBC2. Crisp and clean graphics and good gameplay is all I need.

etc

One of the best things WBII had going for it was the AI. I can’t remember who was responsible for that, but I know they worked on Korson Pocket’s AI as well. Hopefully, they’ll be back to work on WBIII.

Does the WBCII AI give you a good challenge?

Does the WBCII AI give you a good challenge?[/quote]

On the higher difficulty levels the AI was as challenging as the AI in Warcraft III (agrresive and smart with the resource gathering). Actually, to be honest, WBC2 had the best overall unit AI in an rts game I’ve ever played.

etc