Warner Bros. Confirms a much darker Superman Reboot

Yeah, “dark” Superman was a stupid idea back when Tim Burton wanted Nick Cage to play up “Superman’s darker, more murderous side” and it’s a stupid idea now.

I’m actually excited by Mark Millar’s enthusiasm to pen a new Superman trilogy. I think if Dark Knight and Iron Man have taught us anything, it’s that these movies need to be made by people who understand and respect the characters.

Superman Returns did 390+ worldwide. Quite respectable, if not spectacular. What Warner Bros. needs to do is not keep a movie hanging in limbo for 10 years all the while paying actors $20 million for not even doing any work and racking up a $500 million production bill.

Yeah, not everything has to be fucking “dark.” “Dark” != “better.” Take each franchise as it comes and deal with it according to its qualities.

Would you expect Mark Millar to produce anything other than a dark Superman? He lives for dark, violent characters. I can’t think of anyone I’d less want to see writing Superman.

I actually think Superman Returns did a lot of things right - it was just let down by a script that was largely devoid of drama, too talky, and essentially an uninspired remake of the first Superman movie.

I still have a lot of time for Bryan Singer’s superhero movies - the first two X-men movies were great, and at least Superman Returns was a relatively intelligent, adult movie with good production values and some creative action scenes (I loved the outer space shots, the “eye is bulletproof” scene, etc.). The last thing Superman needs to be is “dark and edgy” - it just needs a lot more action.

Yes, I look forward to the scene where Superman super-rapes Wonder Woman. Should be good times. Yep, Millar is a great writer who really respects his craft.

Superman is a character Millar has a lot of respect for, and his work on the character hasn’t been particularly dark. I’ve heard a lot of good things about his run on Superman Adventures (an all-ages book) and his alternate-universe Red Son book is pretty great, actually.

…and Invisible Man says, “I don’t know, but my butt really hurts!”

Yes and yes. Red Son is great, and his Superman Adventures books are wonderful too. He’s certainly capable of writing Superman without turning it into Wanted: Old Man Kick-Ass Kent.

Forget Superman, give me a full-on James Cameron adaptation of Doctor Strange with awesome CGI and cosmic and magic battles so epic your eyes would hurt.

I agree with the suggestions that WB would be better off just giving a better script to the original cast (though maybe ditch the waif).

If they want a different take on the archetype, they should instead look to Invincible.

That joke doesn’t work…

Invincible?

Or did you mean Unbreakable?

Or are you talking about something else entirely?

James Cameron? The guy who only does GRRRRL POWER! movies anymore?

No thanks.

Invincible

Paramount has the rights.

Yeah, cause we all know how badly Aliens and T1/T2 sucked.

His Spiderman script had Peter webbing up Mary Jane on the Empire state building and basically raping her. He might not get superheroes.

Cameron’s Spider-man script was dreadful

I’ll grant you, that does indeed sound dreadful. Prior to this thread, I was blissfully unaware he had written such a Spiderman script.

I never read his Spiderman script, but Cameron has way too good a resume for me not to be interested in any action fare he might do in the future. I would certainly never write him off – he is one of the very very very few first-rate talents in action/sci-fi movies of the last 30 years. Actionwise, he can direct circles around the Nolans and Bryan Singers and suchlike, though they have other strengths.