Warner Bros fast-tracks live-action AKIRA

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117981194.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Warner Bros. will turn anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s six-volume graphic novel masterwork “Akira” into two live action feature films, the first of which is being fast tracked for release in summer 2009.

WB, which had the “Akira” rights several years ago, only to let them lapse and then recapture them in a spirited bidding battle, is planning a twin-bill that the filmmakers have described as “Blade Runner” meets “City of God.”

Studio has closed a seven-figure rights acquisition deal with Kodansha, and has set Ruairi Robinson to direct a script by Gary Whitta (“Book of Eli”). Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance will produce with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

Each feature will be comprised of three of the books in Otomo’s series. The drama takes place in “New Manhattan,” a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

Robinson, an Irish helmer who has been Oscar-nominated for his short film and commercials work, is making his feature debut.

The project was brought in by exec veep Greg Silverman, who has supervised “300” and “Batman Begins.”

Nice job, Gary.

Remember, there are 10 O’s in “TETSUOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

Grats Gary! Unproven and seemingly inexperienced director (at least based on what google puked up) makes me nervous, but I’ll remain optimistic. It’s cool that they’re going to do the whole manga.

Are you fucking kidding me? Way to hit the big time, Gary!

I’d go see that movie. Congrats!

Wow. Gratz, Gary!

I’m pretty sure I’ll end up seeing this with my boyfriend. He’s been reading this manga.

Big time is right. Congratulations.

Jesus. Congratulations.

That’s awesome, Gary. I hated the original animated film, but I’d be willing to see this.

Kick ass Gary!!

Badass!

Kaneda!

Make sure you keep the scene with the creepy teddy bear. Congrats!

Congrats!

I do hope that the music from the original will be somehow present in this movie, as it’s one of my favorite all time film soundtracks.

I know that guy!

Congratulations!

Don’t forget when the rewrites start, turn it into a story about love overcoming all obstacles.

If it sucks Gary, if it suck… shakes fist

Well done.

Remember to just copy-paste whole segments of Act 3 where it’s just “TETSUOOOOOOO!!!” “KANEEEEDAAAAA!!!” over and over.

edit: Also, throw in Rob Schneider as the “wacky sidekick”, just because.

Jesus, what a score.

And what a nightmare. How can you condense that? I think the animated film failed pretty incredibly to tell the story of the books, though that doesn’t make it bad on its own.

WHAT IS YOUR PLAN, good sir?

Well for a start, it’s two movies.