Wartales looks nice

Has a Battle Brothers, Mount & Blade vibe.

EA title that looks like they say will need 12 months of more development time. So… maybe 2023 for v1.0 ? :P

Wishlisted anyway.

I couldn’t really tell in the trailer what type of combat that is. It looks turn-based, since only person is moving at a time, so that’s good. But without an interface and such it was tough to tell. Still, if it’s turn-based combat and done well, it could be cool. It just seems very generic.

I remember when it was called Battle Brothers

This is done by the Northgard developers, so that is a big plus in my book. Looks promissing.

Didn’t realize that. Awesome

Wishlisted.

I seem to have a whole lot of “Turn Based Mercenary Company Management Meets RPG Tactical Elements” games in my wishlist these days. Is this becoming a genre? I approve.

It has a Darklands vibe to it, but being turn based, which I love. Definitely on my wish list.

The areas around the ones who are moving looks interesting. That it’s turn based is a good thing. I am interested. So far.

Now you have my interest.

There is a demo, and a small RPS article

This recently got an EARLY ACCESS release date: December 1. I usually don’t buy into early access but this one looks so darn good I might break the rule.

I tried that demo when it first showed on Steam and it had a real Tech demo vibe. That said, I’m all about anything Battle Brothers-like. I don’t care how much they rip it off or don’t. I’ll wait for some early returns on the EA version and if they are reasonable and the game has some substance already, I’m all in.

Yep, I wouldn’t dream of buying into early access on this one until someone confirms they spent the last several months working on UX and presentation polish.

Positive EA-review (preview?) from RPS.

If, like me, you have huge appetite for a sandbox-like ‘run a mercenary company’ experience but are also wary of leaping in at the beginning of early access . . . I recommend checking out Sands of Salazar whilst waiting for Wartales to progress.

Sands has been in early access for yonks already, and is just about to exit, into it’s 1.0 full release version. I have spent about 30 hours in game during early access and the best way for me to describe it is as . . . . Mount & Blade in dessert / vaguely oriental setting, 3rd person isometric style, with MOBA-like battles. There is a central narrative to follow in tandem with exploring, trading, and questing, and there is also an option to disable this, and just play pure sandbox.

Is it accurate to say this is like those Dynasty Warriors games? (EDIT: I’m replying to Lykurgos and Sands of Salzaar).

I have no more than a few minutes of playtime and watch-time exposure to Dynasty Warrior games so can only hazard a response to this.

I think there is a lot more open world and a lot more complex questing, and trading within Sands

Combat may also be both less spectacular, and less twitchy, since it is resolved in a somewhat real-time strategy like style, both via some simple standing instructions to unit types, plus direct control of your own character, viewed in a mostly top-down typical RTS style, rather than the over the shoulder 3d character movement and fighting style of Dynasty Warriors.

I am like you.

THANKS for this. I had not heard of it.

Wartales discounted at $31.49…

Rock Paper Shotgun has some number of free codes for subscribers.