Wasteland 2 is no longer a game of the year, but it will get a director's cut

Title Wasteland 2 is no longer a game of the year, but it will get a director's cut
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When June 23, 2015

https://youtu.be/hNbEYHzheP0 This is the trailer for the Director's Cut of Wasteland 2..

Read the full article

Director's cut is definitely a better name. I'm really looking forward to see how this has changed, I think the game really needed a little extra polish.

I'm looking forward to this, and I've put my game on hold for now. It'll be interesting to see how the changes affect a mid-game save. InXile has been doing so many things right lately. We can argue the quality of their crowdfunded games (well, game singular at this point) but I don't think there's any denying that they're working hard to win customers.

We have so many Wasteland 2 threads I wasn’t sure which one to post to, but this one is at least reasonably un-old so here we go. I’ve had difficulty with this game in the past when I’ve tried to play, I just always get to a point where it feels like work I guess? And then I just drift away to something else. I started playing again over the last week and have just put my head down and bulled through, and as a result I’ve gotten farther than have before.

I guess maybe I’m at roughly the halfway point - in order to avoid spoiling for anyone who hasn’t played but may be interested in doing so, I’ve reached a certain new map and location. I guess I’m enjoying it, but there are all these little things that keep bugging me. You can definitely tell this game was kickstarted, it has the feel of dozens of little shortcuts and paint-overs that are probably best that you don’t look at too closely. One thing that bothers me is the scale is all off - if you go into a house, the rooms and furniture are bigger than they should be. All the PCs and NPCs look like Lily Tomlin kicking her feet off the edge of an oversized rocking chair. I can live with it, but it’s annoying.

And there’s so much junk, I’m perpetually on the edge of being encumbered. But I need everything so I can sell all this crap so I can afford all the new and better weapons I turn up. It just makes things feel a little desperate, which is kind of a good thing in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but I’m always looking for that next vendor, the next place to unload. This game is a packrat simulator.

But I’m going to do my best to power through. It’s not that it’s not fun really, I just find myself looking back on the original (and its remaster) more fondly. It’s definitely more primitive, more scaled-back, but also a more streamlined and more dedicated experience. I loved going through it again decades later. I don’t think I’ll feel the same way about the sequel. Hopefully Wasteland 3 is better.

Yeah, I had a similar experience where I finally got fed up with all the tedium and decided it wasn’t worth my time. I won’t spoil anything but the final straw had to do with a barrel and backtracking through an entire area, and then back again. Much of the game felt like pointless running back and forth while trying to weigh the items in my inventory in order of potential importance because I was always on the verge of being encumbered on every character.

I hope W3 is more modern in design.